Linux Help with chosing the right box for Openelec with Live TV
The last six months I was using NUC DN2820FYKH installed with Openelec on 500GB 2.5" notebook hdd to cover my couchpotato and sickbeard needs and I was pretty happy. The problem became when i decided to move my cable tv to my OE with USB DVB-C tuner and realizing how uncapable of deinterlacing this chip is. So now i'm looking for something which can provide a very good picture with deinterlacing. I really like the integrated IR receiver of NUC and the exptra space for 2.5" hdd. I dont really like to give up this things if not needed because I will have to conenct to USB ports:
- flirc(if there is no integrated IR)
- USB HDD (if there is no space for 2.5" hdd)
- xbox 360 gamepad receiver
- CEC adapter (If i understand right this is to suspend my tv (its Toshiba with regza link so it should work))
- USB DVB-C Tunner
- occasional flash drive for some photos

But I really want the box to have a nice deinterlacing. From what i read intel NUCs need to be hasswell but its still buggy and dont really wnat to spend twice as much as bail trail was just to see its not ok. Also read some users says AMD is doing good job but i'm not familiar with all possible AMD mini pc, there is a nice looking Gigabyte Brix but with no IR and no space for 2.5" hdd. I had a micro ITX Fusion build before but I had to replace the cpu fan frequently because it was getting too noisy even with a new fan it was uncompareble with the almost silent NUC DN2820. I read that nvidia got the best deinterlacing but couldn't understand does it mean ION or other GPU.

I'll be greatful for any help and thought of choosing the right hardware.
ION and other current nVidia GPUs do a great job de-interlacing - but there aren't many motherboards currently with on-board nVidia graphics so it may well need to be a Mini-ITX with a GPU card unless you can find an nVidia model that suits.

It is maddening that there are these ongoing Intel issues - as the hardware de-interlacing on Haswell that has been testing could be amazing. If it didn't hang.
Since a couple of months I am using an Intel NUC D34010WYK with OE 4.0.7 and Live TV from Tvheadend.

Right at the beginning I first updated the NUC's BIOS to Version 0027 (the latest at the time).

I have no deinterlacing or hanging issues with 720p, 576i and 1080i live TV.

In rare cases, when I quickly zap through 20+ channels, OE will crash and restart.
(2014-11-13, 15:39)ulibuck Wrote: Since a couple of months I am using an Intel NUC D34010WYK with OE 4.0.7 and Live TV from Tvheadend.

Right at the beginning I first updated the NUC's BIOS to Version 0027 (the latest at the time).

I have no deinterlacing or hanging issues with 720p, 576i and 1080i live TV.

In rare cases, when I quickly zap through 20+ channels, OE will crash and restart.

How is the quality of the picture, because on DN2820 is way worse then the cheap set top box that came with the provider when i subscribed...
Quote:How is the quality of the picture

I use HDMI and cannot see any difference between my NUC, my other HTPC (with a Nvidia 630 GPU) or my discarded NMT PCH A-110 when I connect either of those to my 60" LG Plasma TV or my 32" Toshiba LCD TV (I have not tired all combinations). I also cannot seee any difference when I view Live TV on either of the TVs using the built in DVB-C tuner.
Thanks, for the rwsponse! What deinterlacing method are you using?
I use deinterlacing method "Auto"
Thats weird, fritsch(the guy responsible for the deinterlacing on intel machines under linux) told me when my problems with the tv started: "4.0.7 did not have _any_ deinterlacing capability at all. There were only the options BOB and inverted Bob, but those did absolutely nothing besides jumping 1px up and 1px down."... so you either cable provider is not streaming interlaced video or either you never took a closer look....
I just double checked on my NUC D34010WYK
- I do have "Auto" available and set for the deinterlacing method
- Otherwise there is "BOB" and "inverted Bob" available
- When I switch deinterlacing off on a 576i channel (tired SuperRTL) I do get the typical interlacing artifacts (horizontal lines)
- When I do that on a 1080i channel (tried BBC One HD, BBC Two HD and ServusTV HD) it is very difficult to see any difference; the picture is still very good
- I also double checked the exact OE version I use: 4.0.7 Generic x86_64

How this relates to what fritsch told you I do not know.
Have you enabled SW de-interlacing ulibuck - it's an option in Settings ? That allows you to use VAAPI GPU hardware acceleration of H264 but uses CPU power for de-interlacing (and a good YADIF 2x implementation massively better than BOB.)
I was minutes away from buying the 2820 NUC before I saw this, and how bad it is for Live TV.

Back to the drawing board.
(2014-11-14, 01:38)t2ffn Wrote: I was minutes away from buying the 2820 NUC before I saw this, and how bad it is for Live TV.

Let me know if you get a good idea...
(2014-11-14, 01:38)t2ffn Wrote: I was minutes away from buying the 2820 NUC before I saw this, and how bad it is for Live TV.

Buy nvidia if you want better deinterlacing.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I have a Revo 3610 which is great under OE, I just want a second XBMC box and for it to do everything as well as the 3600 but include HD audio passthrough. Thought the 2820 was the choice. What current nvidia options do you know fit the bill?
Revo r3700 (not current but available second hand).

I think zotac have some nvidia based machines.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help with chosing the right box for Openelec with Live TV0