HOW-TO install XBMC as dash with SID 4.5 softmod
i was asked this in several locations outside here so i figured i'd just write it up and be done so if it helps.....

sid 4.5 softmod exploit makes use of a virtual parition for c and a shortcut xbe file in the actual c:\bios folder (bios.xbe)

xbmc currently has to run from a central location making use of a shortcut xbe file. however with this particular flavor that shortcut is already in place. it will look for default.xbe in one of 3 locations:
e:\dashboards\default.xbe, e:\dash\default.xbe or e:\evoxdash.xbe... if none of these are located it will default to c\rescuedash\main.xbe

so after all this humdrum the fastest and easiest way to get xbmc as a dash when using this particular softmod is simply put your xbmc installation in e:\dash by ftping in after the softmod has completed.

**softmods arent really supported here but it is a legit method of modification if you can get it to work.
i have been having a real problem with shortcuts nothing works - followed the manual and this post but doesn't work. the evolution dash always comes up. i did a sid 4.5 softmod.

any ideas?
after you install the sid 4.5 create a folder on e called "dash" and put your xbmc install there.. hold in mind dont but the xbmc folder in the dash folder it should be the files themselves so e:\dash\default.xbe etc. this has to be done after the softmod is complete however as the last step sid takes is to delete e:\dash\

Wink 
this didn't work for me... Sad
Can you confirm the version of the softmod your using please. I sit here doing this exactly as I described on a daily basis.
I used the SID 4.5 n-knave edition (ndure) - have the evolution dash.

I have tried exactly what you suggested but it always boots to the evox dash.

Thanks for your help!
Whats the layout on your E drive (files and foldernames)
This is my e:

/apps
/backup
/cache
/tdata
/udata
/dash (created by me and moved the xbmc to the folder not separate folder)
evox.ini
evoxdash.xbe
sid4-hd.bin

Thanks!
Jack, if you like learning you might wanna look at my bootup guide. it'll give you the background on this stuff:
http://www.skinjob.net/tsp/Xbox%20Boot%20Stuff.htm
Hi guys,

I had exactly the same problem - modded using SID 4.5, tried to do the "XBMC Wiki Option 1" method to get XBMC as a dash, and managed to FUBAR the HD Wink
Hey ho - sorting that now tho..

As i'm using a t3ch build, I believe the T3ch updater expects the \xbmc folder to be in e:\apps (which I created and ftp'd to).

Rather than install Xmbc (t3ch) to e:\dash, could I not set up the cfg and xbe shortcut somewhere (as in Wiki, option 1) - so Xbmc could be installed to e:\apps?

So:

1. Does installeding XBMC to e:\dash stop the T3ch updater working?
2. I believe you can set these (new) paths in t3ch updater?
3. Is it easier / possible to edit the cfg / xbe shortcut, like in the wiki?

Thanks in advance Smile
***************System Stats**************
Dell SX620 USFF PC
Windows 7
2TB HD
4 GB Ram
I am not sure if anyone has thought of this, but why couldn't the softmod be modified to include a "auto-start" application with a user setable time out value, very similiar to something that would look like GRUB.

This would make the situation simple. Define the auto-start in settings in EVOX. Define the time value (0-10 secs) to default to EVOX desktop, and if nothing is pressed, it goes straight to firing up XBMC as defined.

I too hosed my XBOX HD with the wiki method and now am very leary of messing with anything.

JMM

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO install XBMC as dash with SID 4.5 softmod2