• 2(current)
Fire TV Stick -- Video Quality
Same here. Configured the stick the same way I configured my Fire TV, except with the newest XBMC/Kodi (13.2) and 720p content is terrible. I give up for now, I'll follow development for it. Just verifying what others are seeing.
I'm glad I'm not crazy, 720p is terrible, but even 1080p isnt quite right. My source videos are x264 in mkv container with 9mbit and 14.5mbit bit rates for 720/1080 respectively. High/low bitrate have made no difference, and these movies all look great on WD TV Live or my PC.
It's just so odd, I don't understand why it would affect some people and not others. My content is the same as yours (x264 in MKV with similar bitrates), I'm using stock Gotham 13.2 with Aeon Nox. Tried 2 TVs (47" LG and 24" something I don't remember in my kitchen), and my 720p projector. All look great, no video quality issues at all. How are you powering the FireTV Stick?
I also confirm that the video quality is downgraded. It is pixelated.
I set mine up last night and tested several different video files, no problems seen on 1080p content. I did use the stock power supply, as I read elsewhere that some problems were noticed when using the underpowered TV usb port. I'd recommend anyone with performance problems specify their power supply.

I'll test more this evening.
Do you guys have 'mediacodec' disabled?
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
I haven't changed any settings in XBMC besides adding my mysql information to the advancedsettings.xml.
Try disabling 'mediacodec' under Acceleration in Settings and see if video playback improves.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
I am using the external power supply and still have the 720p issues. As I posted earlier, the video quality is poor when using libstagefright but stutters without it. I have mediacodec disabled but get the same results no matter how that is set. All my videos are mkv/h264.

I did find that these 720p videos play reasonably well using software encoding & multiple threads. Still stutters a little bit but the quality is much better. It's at least watchable this way so this will end up being my workaround. Hopefully this gets worked out. Other than this problem, these sticks are amazing for the price.
I don't know why you guys are having problems its working fine for me. But I'm just using it to stream HD movies from addons. 720 and 1080p works fine here using original Gotham 3.2 . The only thing I have a issue with is the in xbmc volume control don't work and deinth.
Also having this issue. 720p bd rip x264, viewing on 720p projector at 96".

Image is phenomenal on rasbpi. Very muddy looking from fire tv stick, quite a difference on the projector. Might not be noticeable on a small screen.
Like I said earlier, with MX player with updated codecs, 1080p videos run fine with no problem without any downgrade. So the hardware can handle 1080p. I hope you smart people can figue out with fire tv stick. If this can be figured out. Fire tv stick is going to dominate the market even with $40 price.
ku2000, but with mx player you don't get audio passthrough for surround, from my understanding.
dastick, you are correct. Hopefully somebody figures out and fix the problem for us.
I'm also powering the stick via the included adapter and cord. I've tried all combinations of hardware acceleration and they all look/perform the same. The same problem on gotham 13.2, kodi helix nightly and SPMC.

Can someone that is having trouble upload a debug log? I don't have access to mine for a while.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Fire TV Stick -- Video Quality0