Win HOW TO - Launch MPC-HC/MPC-BE with madVR as an External Player
Excellent Guide!

I read through the madVR section, it really is very well done, but I do have a few corrections and a comment.

(2014-11-23, 09:32)Warner306 Wrote: force film mode
Force inverse telecine (IVTC). This is allows interlacing of any content madVR detects as 24/25p, even if it is incorrectly flagged as a video source. This can be useful with PAL DVDs.

This should probably be something like "Force inverse telecine (IVTC). This is forces madVR's inverse telecine to recover the original progressive frames on any content madVR detects as 24/25p, even if it is incorrectly flagged as a video source. This can be useful with PAL DVDs."

madVR can also detect more types of telecining but you might not need to get into the details of that. Is it really useful for PAL DVDs? I though most PAL DVD film conversions were sped up instead of telecined? A very common form of telecining is NTSC, 24 fps film stored as 30 frames per second interlaced.

(2014-11-23, 09:32)Warner306 Wrote: force video mode
Force DXVA interlacing, which uses the GPU’s interlacing as set in its drivers.

This should be "Force DXVA deinterlacing, which uses the GPU’s deinterlacing as set in its drivers."

(2014-11-23, 09:32)Warner306 Wrote: strength during fade in/out
Five frames are rendered with correction when a fade is detected. This only applies if this setting is higher than the default debanding strength.

This description of what debanding fade detection does is wrong. Because madVR cannot tell if it is a fade before it renders five frames it has to re-render them using the higher debanding strength when it detects a fade (if it wants to render them using the higher strength). This way every frame that is detected as part of the fade can be rendered using the higher debanding strength.

This is only important because it results in five frames being removed from the render queue which might cause a dropped frame when using a small queue depth and/or running close to the limit of the GPU.

(2014-11-23, 09:32)Warner306 Wrote: Most video is stored using chroma subsampling in a 4:2:0 video format. In simple terms, what this means is that the video is basically stored as a black-and-white “detail” image (luma) with a lower resolution “color” image (chroma) layered on top. This works because the detail image helps to mask the low resolution of the color image that is being layered on top.

This is wrong in nearly every particular but it gets the point across almost perfectly without needing to explain how humans see color, complex matrix math, and the historical methods for broadcast TV that I am not sure that matters. A useful lie. Wink

Messages In This Thread
RE: HOW TO - Launch MPC-HC/MPC-BE with madVR as an External Player - by Asmodian - 2015-10-05, 06:54

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW TO - Launch MPC-HC/MPC-BE with madVR as an External Player7
This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.