Error The network connection was lost
joethefox

I absolutely love your remote! 90% of the time that is.

The other 10%....well I just don't know what happens and could possibly use some guidance.

I am running a simple operation compared to others here, a Raspberry Pi and your Official XBMC remote on an iPhone 4S.

All of a sudden, there's no connection, the dreaded red dot. It can happen at any time, there seems to be no rhyme or reason.

When I try to reconnect, sometimes it doesn't find the source for a half hour or so, sometimes immediately.

Today, it did something different. When I lost connection, it found the source immediately, but just wouldn't connect for over 20 minutes.

I've gone so far as to purchase a recommended power source for the Raspberry, but that didn't change anything. I've also deleted and reinstalled the app several times with no better results.

This loss of connection happens at least once a day...sometimes several.

Considering how wonderfully it operates MOST of the time, I just can't figure out what happens that other 10%.

Any input to solve my problem?

Thanks!
The iOS app initially seems awesome but then you realize that it's a tease. It won't connect at all Android XBMC appliances (like Midnight MX2 or Pivos XIOS) but it will connect to XBMC for Windows and Linux. On XBMC for Windows it constantly loses the connection and ends up being useless since it takes longer for it to regain connection each time you use to than it does to just use your remote or keyboard. Its too bad because for those rare times when the app works its awesome but ultimately the app is total garbage and broken.
Hi.

I registered to this forum as i cannot find a solution for my problem anywhere.

I'm running raspbmc 13.2 on my raspberry pi and i have xbmcremote on my ipad and iphone (ios8.1)

The problem is that xbmcremote looses connection and reconnects immediately if i play a music playlist from my nas. The connection is lost for about 2 seconds and is then available for 5-10seconds before it disconnects again. If i play a playlist containing radio station links located on the raspberry or if i watch movies the connection is absolutely stable.

I checked back with my iphone and it is the same here.

I detected the problem some months ago but didn't have the time to look for a solution until now. But i know that it was working when i installed the system.

It would be very nice if someone here has a hint for me. I don't know where to start.

Thanks in advance. Christoph
This is the wrong subforum. This is about running XBMC/Kodi on iOS. You want to post in the iOS Remote Forum. Thread moved.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Hi!

Thanks for moving to the right subforum.

I have a video which shows the effect. Is there a possibility to upload otherwise here is a link to my dropbox:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5645...ection.mov

regards,
Christoph
Hi, to me seems that it is an AP issue, try to change the wifi channel of your AP and test again. If the issue is still here let me know and we'll continue to investigate. To reduce the network load, check if the option "allow other programs to control kodi/xbmc" under the system>services>remote control is enabled in kodi/xbmc
Hi.

Just tested changing the wifi channel with no luck. Same behaviour as described before. The connection comes and goes. As soon as i stop the playback the connection is good!!!

I will check the system setting of remote control config later.

I'm looking for to getting more ideas.
Regards
Christoph
Ok. Now i checked the settings you mentioned above. Allow other programs to control xbmc was not checked so i activated this option. But it doesn't help either. Working on this i realized that the remote works without interruption although music was playing from nas. The issue starts when i switched to the now playing screen. So it seems it is not a connection problem! Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Christoph
I have the same issue with connectivity when using my iPad. My connectivity is never stable, regardless of whether I'm steaming tv shows, movies or music. I'm running xbmc on my pivos box, and the remote on my iPad air, which is also running on ios8. I have the option that allows remotes on the system to control the xbmc enabled. I should also mention that I uninstalled and reinstalled the xbmc remote, and when that didn't help with the connectivity, I downloaded another remote called 'sync', and I'm still experiencing the connectivity issues.

The remote that physically came with the pivos box works, but prefer not to use it because its simplicity makes searching and using the box a chore. I wonder if it's an iPad issue?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Hi aevans44.

I think you have a different problem, as in my case the connection is stable as long as I don't play music from my NAS. And it is the same on my iphone too! Nevertheless I am also interested in any ideas and help.

regards,
Christoph
Out of curiosity, if you download the free app "ping lite" and then try to ping the XBMC IP, what is the response time?
Hi!

I compared the ping results during playback of internet radio and playback of music from my NAS. The result are the same I think:

Here is the result during playing internet radio:

and here is the result during NAS-Playback:

Recently I installed the new IOS 8.1.1 update which comes with improvements for IPAD2. I checked back the behaviour of the xbmc remote app and found out that the connection is now stable all time. I can control the remote now and choose songs from the playlist. Only the "now playing" screen is toggeling all the time! See here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5645...8%2019.mov

regards,
Christoph
I see, during playback there is an heartbeat with XBMC and if XBMC doesn't respond within two seconds then the remote app thinks that the XBMC has gone, thats why I asked you a ping test. At this time seems that actually raspbmc is having difficulties to manage a bunch of json request during the playback. One little test, if you ssh into the raspbmc and issue a

$ top -d 1

during the disconnections, how much is the CPU occupation?
Hi!

The cpu occupation during

APP running is: %CPU(s): 80...95us, 5...12sy, 0...3ni
APP closed is: %CPU(s): 20...30us, 1...10sy, 0...3ni

I could not identify any changes in values for APP running when the cover disappears. As you could see in the last posted video the connection is stable at the moment so I could not check that!

Hope that help to identify the problem!

regards,
Christoph
I keep receiving the above error message if I click on any of the Music or Movie submenus. This happens most of the time but not always. It also takes a few seconds to connect after XBMC Remote has been started (but not every time).

I'm running Kodi 14 beta 2 on Win7 x64 SP1 / XBMC Remote 1.5.2 on iPhone 5 with iOS 8.1.1.

"Allow programs on this/other system(s) to control Kodi" is enabled. Web server is running.

I have turned off Windows firewall but this didn't help.

I noticed XBMC Commander and Constellation connect immediately and don't show any connection errors.

I very much would like to use the Official XBMC Remote. Is there something else I can do to solve this problem?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Error The network connection was lost1