• 5(current)
Vero OSMC
I can't get my Vero fast enough! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0CVT8upu1k
Ubu's Youtube Channel has great content! http://www.youtube.com/ubuntuaddicted
Blog? Yes here: ubuntuaddicted.blogspot.com
Curious why you're pushing this box (above and before)? I see you're excited, but based on other posts in this forum, I'm not seeing something special... not at that price anyway.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2014-11-30, 00:01)hdmkv Wrote: Curious why you're pushing this box (above and before)? I see you're excited, but based on other posts in this forum, I'm not seeing something special... not at that price anyway.
the special is
+24Hz support
+powered usb ports
+app store
+web browser
+HD audio
+plug-n-play
+3 years of updates
+reliable update system (automagically)
+integrated wifi/bluetooth
+remote control (yes I realize xbmc remote exists but this is for people without smartphones like my grandma)
+secret feature which isn't announced yet
(2014-11-30, 03:25)ubuntuaddicted Wrote:
(2014-11-30, 00:01)hdmkv Wrote: Curious why you're pushing this box (above and before)? I see you're excited, but based on other posts in this forum, I'm not seeing something special... not at that price anyway.
the special is
+24Hz support
+powered usb ports
+app store
+web browser
+HD audio
+plug-n-play
+3 years of updates
+remote control (yes I realize xbmc remote exists but this is for people without smartphones like my grandma)

I don't understand this "app store" thing.

If it is for kodi, then it aleady has an "app store" - go to settings|addons, it is there.

If it is for the OS, ie applications outside kodi, then every linux has a packaging system - what is new about this one?

By the way I am neutral on this and wish Sam the very best for it. I am merely curious about the "app store".
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-11-30, 03:25)ubuntuaddicted Wrote:
the special is
+24Hz support
+powered usb ports
+app store
+web browser
+HD audio
+plug-n-play
+3 years of updates

so all whats already possible with OpenELEC (on Cubox-i devices) ? i really see nothing special here.
But we should wait and see, actually you can only pay for something whats not done yet...
greetings, Stephan

(2014-11-30, 03:33)nickr Wrote: I don't understand this "app store" thing.

If it is for kodi, then it aleady has an "app store" - go to settings|addons, it is there.

If it is for the OS, ie applications outside kodi, then every linux has a packaging system - what is new about this one?

By the way I am neutral on this and wish Sam the very best for it. I am merely curious about the "app store".

i think the same, its simply Kodis addon system used to install own (binary) addons, the same OpenELEC does for years. its will be no surprise for me
greetings, Stephan

someone please correct me if i'm wrong but I thought currently the GC2000 GPU still has some issues to be resolved. the "app store" won't be constrained to the kodi addon installation system, it will be much more powerful to the best of my knowledge. I could see someone creating an app you can download from the app store that would install the steam client and enabled in home streaming to make it be able to play steam games from your main gaming rig (since all that steam in home streaming is doing is decoding an h264 stream AFAIK),
(2014-11-30, 03:46)sraue Wrote: i think the same, its simply Kodis addon system used to install own (binary) addons, the same OpenELEC does for years. its will be no surprise for me

Kind of classless, sraue, jumping in here just to push your own product.

Especially given this http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1846093

Which I notice you havent even been gracious enough to respond to. Jeez, aspergers much?
(2014-11-30, 04:40)Karnagious Wrote:
(2014-11-30, 03:46)sraue Wrote: i think the same, its simply Kodis addon system used to install own (binary) addons, the same OpenELEC does for years. its will be no surprise for me

Kind of classless jumping in here just to push your own product.

Which I notice you havent even been gracious enough to respond to. Jeez, aspergers much?
i didn't see where i needed to respond nor is it "my product" either. i have no connection to Vero or OSMC besides being a moderator on the Crystalbuntu forums. I spent $200 and did NOT receive any Vero for free or review nor has Sam asked me to promote his product nor paid me to advertise his product. I just feel strongly about the product and the passion of the project and support it. I thought sharing it here was appropriate if it's not I apologize.
@ubuntuaddicted, that comment was not directed at you.

@everyone PEACE please!
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-11-30, 03:43)sraue Wrote: so all whats already possible with OpenELEC (on Cubox-i devices) ? i really see nothing special here.

Its posts like these that make users very wary of even going anywhere near a CuBox, ones with a seemingly hidden agenda that make a rudimental mistake of dismissing all the problems listed in detail in previous posts.

Granted, Vero has not been released by Sam yet so the product cannot be judged at this time.

(2014-11-30, 04:40)Karnagious Wrote:

Kind of classless, sraue, jumping in here just to push your own product.

That's not his product. He doesn't care what you buy. The same company makes BOTH BOXES.

If you're talking about OE, guess what? Both boxes can use either OS.

And what does he have to respond to? Please don't misunderstand what I wrote before. I wasn't trying to vilify anyone, and was trying to show that both sides have gotten under each other's skins. Sraue is a nice guy, so please don't try to twist this around and make him look like a bully. He's not a bully. He, like others, don't think Vero is worth $200. He's allowed to share his opinion, and it's a perfectly valid opinion at that.

(2014-11-30, 06:37)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2014-11-30, 03:43)sraue Wrote: so all whats already possible with OpenELEC (on Cubox-i devices) ? i really see nothing special here.

Its posts like these that make users very wary of even going anywhere near a CuBox, ones with a seemingly hidden agenda that make a rudimental mistake of dismissing all the problems listed in detail in previous posts.

Granted, Vero has not been released by Sam yet so the product cannot be judged at this time.

Did I step into some kind of bizarro world here? Look, people, it's the same box. He doesn't have a hidden agenda. He's pointing out that you don't have to spend $200 to get everything that comes with the Vero, and he's right.
Never the less. Sam is allowed to sell what ever product, in every combination he wants. The vero has a white color and an osmc logo. So for users, that love raspbmc / osmc it's a good chance to support this project. Did someone try to count the parts yet? box + powersupply + remote + hdmi cable + sdcard? you will realize that 199 dollars (! dollars not euro not pounds) is not that much money and there is not a whole lot left.

The box alone is: 132 dollars, a decent remote you would get for around 10 dollars, the hdmi cable in correct quality also 10 dollars, then the box is customized in color, let that be 15 dollars + shipping 10 dollars -> 177 dollars. Now sam has all the risk, he ordered boxes in advance probably? I don't think there is anything wrong with getting 199 dollars for that box, which is already worth hw wise arround 170 dollars. And people that buy it want to support osmc and cause of promissed upstream support also the whole opensource world.

I really don't want to hear that price argument anymore. It's a business decision, you do business with osmc and sam or not.

But for the fan folks here (and this accounts for all cuboxes, wether white or black):

Now back to the technology (as now said multiple times, but never really read by the fanby there):
24.0hz support -> it's definitely not enough to switch the refreshrate of a TV to 24.0 hz or 23.976 hz. The vblank needs to match, it must be controlled and this we don't have - there is no reference clock at all, so be prepared for framedrops now and then, therefore audio dropouts, especialliy when running dts-hd / truehd.

Webbrowser: A webbrowser needs a running X session, which has a big impact onto the performance of especially kodi, i am curious here how that will work performance wise.

Plug and Play: Yeah, udev finding the kernel module and will load it. But as xbmc has no hotplug support (no audio (in mainline), nor joystick wise) -> no idea what that means.

Wifi / bluetooth: Is a nice feature, but also in the base box.
Hd-Audio: also the base box has. Nothing special here.
power usb ports: same

3 years of updates: That's nice and users that buy it can be safe. It's though not clear which updates: new kodi versions? only security updates which are done by debian?
Reliable update system: See point before.

So, finally, we see some points that are worth buying the box, especially if you want to support osmc and the project. And that's fine as is. I will now unsubscribe from this topic, cause I really don't like the fanboys on the one side, that really don't get the technical background and on the other side the hacking on sam. People are free to buy whatever they want, no need to get personal here.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2014-11-30, 08:46)Ned Scott Wrote: I wasn't trying to vilify anyone, and was trying to show that both sides have gotten under each other's skins.

Quite so.

Then the other guy agreed with you and APOLOGISED. This guy didn't even acknowledge that apology.

I doubt I will be changing my opinion any time soon.
We're just bystanders. For all we know, there's even more to this story. Maybe he has a reason for not commenting on it. It doesn't really matter. He's not pushing any product, and I don't think he's doing anything classless.

and regardless of what you think of him or me or anyone else, don't accuse someone as having aspergers just because you don't agree with their view or how they respond.
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Vero OSMC11