FireTV Stick worth?
Wireless network tests will always vary with local conditions, and local conditions may vary by the minute.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-11-27, 20:03)lowridin_guy Wrote: I think it is definitely worth it. Yes right now there are some issues but I have faith that these issues will be resolved with either a firmware update or an update to Kodi or SPMC.

Just need to get to the bottom of the video quality issue before it can be fixed.

You forget the rule never to buy something on a promise or hope of what it may do tomorrow. At the moment that seems to make this not worth it (Except as Ned said for the peripherals!)
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I just did a test myself and the Stick can handle at least up to 36Mbp/s using SMB on 5GHz, no buffering, no stuttering.

The max for BD is 48Mbp/s and on average most BD rips aren't going to be over 30Mbps. Anything over 48Mbp/s (which is the max standard for full BD, 40Mb/s max for video + 8Mb/s max for audio) is either not encoded correctly or you're talking about 3D rips.

So I would have to disagree, it is possible for the Stick to be fine for most 1:1 BD rips, if you're talking bout standard BD's and not 3D. But like anything using wifi, result will vary depending on your router, distance and interference. The best thing to do is have your router as close to your device as possible and/or cut down on anything that would cause interference.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Does the Fire stick support DTS and pass thru of HD audio? Chromecast supports neither of these (only DD and I believe DD+), and also subtitles need to be transcoded for Chromcecast. If the Fire stick can do all this natively without transcoding then already its much better as a XBMC client.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
FireTV Stick worth?0