• 626(current)
Release Aeon Nox: SiLVO
(2019-12-11, 11:18)Sam Ash Wrote: Dear Fellow Kodi users, I am new here so please bear with me as I feel some of you are well placed to answer my question.

I am thinking of digitising all my "Original" blu ray movies, 1080p and 4K HDR. I want to generate 1:1 copies so that they are identical to the original without any compromise. I like the MKV container because it is open source and flexible - Has anyone achieved this ?

Secondly, I just want a simple way to access all my movies through an on-screen menu where all the movie covers are shown and can be catagorised e.g. Action, Drama, Comedy etc.

A very nice and friendly member of the KODI development team (Fritsch) has told me that the player in KODI has been optimised to provide the best in terms of image and sound fidelity.

I take it that there are skins to achieve such an interface.

Any help from members who have achieved this will be appreciated.
1. Use MakeMKV to decode/rip your blu-rays. You can select any or all audio tracks/subtitles to include with the video. 1:1 rip, no transcoding. 

2. Use the info at this link: https://kodi.wiki/view/Custom_home_items to organize your media folder structure, create smart playlists from those folders, and display them as individual Main Menu items. I recommend the Aeon Nox Silvo skin How To Guide but you can do this a few others as well.
Matrix 19.x (LE), Aeon Nox SiLVO, NUC8i5BEK (i5-8259U, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655, 16 GB ram, 128 GB M.2 SSD)
Samsung F6300 46" LED LCD TV, SMSL Q5 Pro amplifier, Pioneer HPM-100 speakers
Synology DS215j NAS fileserver (WD Gold 10TB x 2)
(2019-12-11, 11:18)Sam Ash Wrote: Dear Fellow Kodi users, I am new here so please bear with me as I feel some of you are well placed to answer my question.

I am thinking of digitising all my "Original" blu ray movies, 1080p and 4K HDR. I want to generate 1:1 copies so that they are identical to the original without any compromise. I like the MKV container because it is open source and flexible - Has anyone achieved this ?

Secondly, I just want a simple way to access all my movies through an on-screen menu where all the movie covers are shown and can be catagorised e.g. Action, Drama, Comedy etc.

A very nice and friendly member of the KODI development team (Fritsch) has told me that the player in KODI has been optimised to provide the best in terms of image and sound fidelity.

In order to generate 1:1 copies so that they are identical to the original without any compromise, an iso container is what you want to place all the files in when ripping.  Converting to an mkv container is no where near the same and never will be.  While an mkv is more flexible with various players, consider the players are the thing that isn't flexible... not the ripping method or container used.  Most players simply can't handle a real 1:1 rip let alone display it correctly in its entirety.  Praising all the popular players that only work half ass and jubilating the butchery required to titles in order for them to work in these half ass players is beyond me?

Many justify the butcher jobs as a benefit because it saves them a little space here and there yet they are still adding or increasing size of hard drives.  LoL!  Eliminating all that "unnecessary junk" comes with a price though.  Mainly the integrity of your rip when you altered it into an mkv just turned into a Frankenstein job.  Unfortunately, using advanced techniques such as madVr are only compatible with half ass players.  Aside from one I think, (a competitive costly front end vs Kodi) they simply are not designed to work with uncompromised 1:1 rips fully.  However, they are able to handle playback of the main movie only but no where near mimicking a physical disc in a dedicated hardware player like other software players do such as PowerDVD and DVDFab Media Player. 

These players use their own adjustable algorithms and madVr is not designed to be compatible with them.  Using their own vs madVr is debatable and suggestive.  Much has to do with screen size and if one is actually able to comprehend real life differences.  For example, using a 65" display, imo, you aren't going to notice one setting vs another nor any difference between players.  Most evaluation is in ones head and not what the eyes actually perceive.  Blind tests have proven this over and over.  Half ass players sometimes offer more control in other areas such as remote mappings or shader techniques for example where fully iso compatible players are not as elaborate and for many users these detailed settings have zero benefits.  So it really depends on exactly what you desire for an end result.  What may be important to you may not be for the masses.

That said, personally I prefer exact 1:1 rips original without any compromises and provide myself with an exact backup of the physical disc.  This may be wise for future proofing too such as Dolby Vision usage from an HTPC more than likely coming in the near future.  A butcher job mkv will be left in the dust and many will scramble to re-rip their collections.  Have a nice day, or month, or year(s) :  )  When I desire to interact with these pristine rips I use the proper player(s) designed for the specific mood, company, time, quality, task etc.  I set up Kodi to use all these players seamless and reliably with any and all formats including mkv, iso, bdmv, 4k, 3D, etc.  So can you following any of the guides provided including the one in my sig.  Each fills a specific duty:

Kodi VideoPlayer
MPC-HC
MPC-BE
PotPlayer
PowerDVD
DVDFab Media Players 3 & 5.

Lastly, you want a simple way to access all your movies through an on-screen menu where all the movie covers are shown and can be catagorised e.g. Action, Drama, Comedy etc.  Kodi can provide all of this.  Most skins do including this one.  Beyond just the skin you select, skins have Views that further customize the look.  Set the skin to show 'info'.  This is includes a synopsis describing most relevant information provided by the scraper you select when adding a source.  A small part of that information includes the Genre info you asked about.  As you navigate from title to title, the poster, this info, and many other things change to reflect the title you are focused on.

Imo, stay with complete 1:1 rips in an iso container.  An iso will play in most if not all popular players the difference being with or without menus and/or compatible with 3rd party software when/if desired.  Use Kodi as a front end and expand your horizons by following guide(s) now or in the future.  Skins are highly subjective and there are many.  Being a user for many years, I've found my combinations that work for me.  This particular skin fills most of my needs and desires.  Mike Silvo who maintains this skin is very open minded and completely on the ball imo.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
(2019-12-11, 20:19)brazen1 Wrote: Imo, stay with complete 1:1 rips in an iso container.  An iso will play in most if not all popular players the difference being with or without menus and/or compatible with 3rd party software when/if desired.  Use Kodi as a front end and expand your horizons by following guide(s) now or in the future.  Skins are highly subjective and there are many.  Being a user for many years, I've found my combinations that work for me.  This particular skin fills most of my needs and desires.  Mike Silvo who maintains this skin is very open minded and completely on the ball imo. 

I agree.

However, in my case I'm forced to use MakeMKV as I use the Plex server and Kodi as the frontend with the plexkodiconnect add-on. Plex unfortunately doesn't support iso, folder structures such as VIDEO_TS or BDMV, etc.
(2019-12-11, 20:31)DoctorJellybean Wrote:
(2019-12-11, 20:19)brazen1 Wrote: Imo, stay with complete 1:1 rips in an iso container.  An iso will play in most if not all popular players the difference being with or without menus and/or compatible with 3rd party software when/if desired.  Use Kodi as a front end and expand your horizons by following guide(s) now or in the future.  Skins are highly subjective and there are many.  Being a user for many years, I've found my combinations that work for me.  This particular skin fills most of my needs and desires.  Mike Silvo who maintains this skin is very open minded and completely on the ball imo. 

I agree.

However, in my case I'm forced to use MakeMKV as I use the Plex server and Kodi as the frontend with the plexkodiconnect add-on. Plex unfortunately doesn't support iso, folder structures such as VIDEO_TS or BDMV, etc. 
So once again it appears software simply isn't compatible with complete data and instead suggests, I mean force, the user butcher perfectly good data in order to satisfy its half ass functionality.  Bravo.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
(2019-12-11, 20:19)brazen1 Wrote:

In order to generate 1:1 copies so that they are identical to the original without any compromise, an iso container is what you want to place all the files in when ripping.  Converting to an mkv container is no where near the same and never will be.  While an mkv is more flexible with various players, consider the players are the thing that isn't flexible... not the ripping method or container used.  Most players simply can't handle a real 1:1 rip let alone display it correctly in its entirety.  Praising all the popular players that only work half ass and jubilating the butchery required to titles in order for them to work in these half ass players is beyond me?

Many justify the butcher jobs as a benefit because it saves them a little space here and there yet they are still adding or increasing size of hard drives.  LoL!  Eliminating all that "unnecessary junk" comes with a price though.  Mainly the integrity of your rip when you altered it into an mkv just turned into a Frankenstein job.  Unfortunately, using advanced techniques such as madVr are only compatible with half ass players.  Aside from one I think, (a competitive costly front end vs Kodi) they simply are not designed to work with uncompromised 1:1 rips fully.  However, they are able to handle playback of the main movie only but no where near mimicking a physical disc in a dedicated hardware player like other software players do such as PowerDVD and DVDFab Media Player. 

These players use their own adjustable algorithms and madVr is not designed to be compatible with them.  Using their own vs madVr is debatable and suggestive.  Much has to do with screen size and if one is actually able to comprehend real life differences.  For example, using a 65" display, imo, you aren't going to notice one setting vs another nor any difference between players.  Most evaluation is in ones head and not what the eyes actually perceive.  Blind tests have proven this over and over.  Half ass players sometimes offer more control in other areas such as remote mappings or shader techniques for example where fully iso compatible players are not as elaborate and for many users these detailed settings have zero benefits.  So it really depends on exactly what you desire for an end result.  What may be important to you may not be for the masses.

That said, personally I prefer exact 1:1 rips original without any compromises and provide myself with an exact backup of the physical disc.  This may be wise for future proofing too such as Dolby Vision usage from an HTPC more than likely coming in the near future.  A butcher job mkv will be left in the dust and many will scramble to re-rip their collections.  Have a nice day, or month, or year(s) :  )  When I desire to interact with these pristine rips I use the proper player(s) designed for the specific mood, company, time, quality, task etc.  I set up Kodi to use all these players seamless and reliably with any and all formats including mkv, iso, bdmv, 4k, 3D, etc.  So can you following any of the guides provided including the one in my sig.  Each fills a specific duty:

Kodi VideoPlayer
MPC-HC
MPC-BE
PotPlayer
PowerDVD

Lastly, you want a simple way to access all your movies through an on-screen menu where all the movie covers are shown and can be catagorised e.g. Action, Drama, Comedy etc.  Kodi can provide all of this.  Most skins do including this one.  Beyond just the skin you select, skins have Views that further customize the look.  Set the skin to show 'info'.  This is includes a synopsis describing most relevant information provided by the scraper you select when adding a source.  A small part of that information includes the Genre info you asked about.  As you navigate from title to title, the poster, this info, and many other things change to reflect the title you are focused on.

Imo, stay with complete 1:1 rips in an iso container.  An iso will play in most if not all popular players the difference being with or without menus and/or compatible with 3rd party software when/if desired.  Use Kodi as a front end and expand your horizons by following guide(s) now or in the future.  Skins are highly subjective and there are many.  Being a user for many years, I've found my combinations that work for me.  This particular skin fills most of my needs and desires.  Mike Silvo who maintains this skin is very open minded and completely on the ball imo.  
brazen1,

While I respect (and agree with)  your position that an iso container is the best way to rip an *entire* blu ray for a 1:1 copy, I take issue with your concerns about mkv containers. A blu-ray disc ripped with MakeMKV will result in a file that contains *unmodifed*, bit-for-bit copies of the video and audio tracks selected for ripping. No transcoding, no degradation. Exact copies. I *could* put the entire blu-ray in a mkv container, but I agree that an iso container is much better for that purpose. If the OP just wants his movie, with appropriate audio and subtitles a mkv container is perfect for Kodi.
Matrix 19.x (LE), Aeon Nox SiLVO, NUC8i5BEK (i5-8259U, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655, 16 GB ram, 128 GB M.2 SSD)
(2019-12-11, 20:50)whysoserious Wrote:
(2019-12-11, 20:19)brazen1 Wrote:

Kodi VideoPlayer
MPC-HC
MPC-BE
PotPlayer
PowerDVD

brazen1,

While I respect (and agree with)  your position that an iso container is the best way to rip an *entire* blu ray for a 1:1 copy, I take issue with your concerns about mkv containers. A blu-ray disc ripped with MakeMKV will result in a file that contains *unmodifed*, bit-for-bit copies of the video and audio tracks selected for ripping. No transcoding, no degradation. Exact copies. I *could* put the entire blu-ray in a mkv container, but I agree that an iso container is much better for that purpose. If the OP just wants his movie, with appropriate audio and subtitles a mkv container is perfect for Kodi. 

Except the OP requested "I want to generate 1:1 copies so that they are identical to the original without any compromise."  I have no "concerns" about mkv containers.  They are convenient containers for butchery much like meat packaging.  I just prefer playing with my cow in the pasture and not wrapped in Styrofoam and cellophane on the kitchen counter.

Your bit for bit selective exact copy isn't exact.  It's modified.  Dolby vision comes to mind again as do many other aspects already touched upon.  I think the OP gets the idea having heard from the other side of the fence and only he/she will act on what's appropriate for themselves.  We shouldn't hijack this thread with unrelated discussion.  Feel free to continue in an appropriate forum if you desire.

(2019-11-23, 19:40)mikeSiLVO Wrote:
(2019-11-23, 00:59)beeswax Wrote: Has anyone got the skin working with the Python 3 builds of Matrix?  As soon as I return to the main menu, one of the dependency addons throws an error and I just get stuck on "Building menu".

You need the Python 3 compatible version of Skin Shortcuts.

I will link a download zip to first page and you can also get it from HERE.

Just like Kodi v19 the Python 3 version of script.skinshortcuts is not fully tested and could contain bugs so please report any you encounter in either GitHub issues, here in this thread, or in the one for Skin Shortcuts. 

Not sure if this the thread to put this in, but after successfully installing the new Python 3 compatible scripts the skin was working fine again for a week or so, but now after updating to the most recent Milhouse Kodi 19 Alpha 1 builds (build # 1211 specifically) it throws a "Library Data Provider" error at bootup. Below is a short clip of the error log(s) and I've used the LibreELEC log posting tool in the LE Settings addon to post the whole thing at: http://ix.io/24ff.

2019-12-12 13:37:38.054 T:881 ERROR: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error
<-- - NOTE: IGNORING THIS CAN LEAD TO MEMORY LEAKS!
Error Type: <class 'NameError'>
Error Contents: name 'unicode' is not defined
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/storage/.kodi/addons/service.library.data.provider/service.py", line 181, in <module> Main()
File "/storage/.kodi/addons/service.library.data.provider/service.py", line 52, in __init__ self._fetch_favourite()
File "/storage/.kodi/addons/service.library.data.provider/service.py", line 84, in _fetch_favourite LIBRARY._fetch_favourite_episodes()
File "/storage/.kodi/addons/service.library.data.provider/resources/lib/library.py", line 339, in _fetch_favourite_episodes return self._fetch_items(useCache, prefix="favouriteepisodes", queryFunc=query_favourite)
File "/storage/.kodi/addons/service.library.data.provider/resources/lib/library.py", line 67, in _fetch_items rv = queryFunc() # Must return a unicode string (json-encoded data) File "/storage/.kodi/addons/service.library.data.provider/resources/lib/library.py", line 338, in query_favourite return unicode(json.dumps(rv), 'utf-8', errors='ignore')
NameError: name 'unicode' is not defined -->End of Python script error report<--

Apologies for the log snippit, but it's not too long, full log at http://ix.io/24ff

Thanks in advance!
Hi
I do not see if the film is seen or not seen (no difference between marked as seen and marked as not seen)
Sorry guys been a little busy lately but I will try to get to all the questions I've missed when I can Smile

(2019-12-12, 23:50)whysoserious Wrote: Not sure if this the thread to put this in, but after successfully installing the new Python 3 compatible scripts the skin was working fine again for a week or so, but now after updating to the most recent Milhouse Kodi 19 Alpha 1 builds (build # 1211 specifically) it throws a "Library Data Provider" error at bootup. Below is a short clip of the error log(s) and I've used the LibreELEC log posting tool in the LE Settings addon to post the whole thing at: http://ix.io/24ff.

2019-12-12 13:37:38.054 T:881 ERROR: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error
<-- - NOTE: IGNORING THIS CAN LEAD TO MEMORY LEAKS!
Error Type: <class 'NameError'>
Error Contents: name 'unicode' is not defined
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/storage/.kodi/addons/service.library.data.provider/service.py", line 181, in <module> Main()
File "/storage/.kodi/addons/service.library.data.provider/service.py", line 52, in __init__ self._fetch_favourite()
File "/storage/.kodi/addons/service.library.data.provider/service.py", line 84, in _fetch_favourite LIBRARY._fetch_favourite_episodes()
File "/storage/.kodi/addons/service.library.data.provider/resources/lib/library.py", line 339, in _fetch_favourite_episodes return self._fetch_items(useCache, prefix="favouriteepisodes", queryFunc=query_favourite)
File "/storage/.kodi/addons/service.library.data.provider/resources/lib/library.py", line 67, in _fetch_items rv = queryFunc() # Must return a unicode string (json-encoded data) File "/storage/.kodi/addons/service.library.data.provider/resources/lib/library.py", line 338, in query_favourite return unicode(json.dumps(rv), 'utf-8', errors='ignore')
NameError: name 'unicode' is not defined -->End of Python script error report<--

Apologies for the log snippit, but it's not too long, full log at http://ix.io/24ff

Thanks in advance!

I think I fixed this but I don't have time to make a new upload and post it. You can follow the instructions HERE to install the GitHub version.
https://github.com/mikesilvo164/service....a.provider

I also fixed a TypeError in Skin Shortcuts preventing plugin listing when trying to add stuff from add-ons so might want to update that one as well.
https://github.com/mikesilvo164/script.s...e/python_3
Thanks @mikeSiLVO , that seems to have fixed it. No more error messages at boot up.
In views like Shift and MyFlix, the mouse moves through the list. How can I turn that off? It's extremely annoying. "Ok, I'll just hover over this show... Oh, now I'm at the very end of the list and have to scroll back, great."
All of a sudden I have an error at start of Kodi from skin helper service

DEBUG LOG
(2019-12-14, 18:58)flhthemi Wrote: All of a sudden I have an error at start of Kodi from skin helper service

DEBUG LOG

Here is some info on your issue. https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2907965
I can't get to work correctly wallpaper for music label with Kodi random music fanart

I got black screen and I see that author name of fan art change correctly

I don't have any problem with movie fan art
Artist Slideshow just got updated to 3.0. Current Aeon Nox Silvo doesn't support it.
  • 626(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Aeon Nox: SiLVO55