how to do dlna with HDHomeRun & serverwmc(1175) & pvr.wmc(3.108)
If you have a HD homerun tuner that is dlna capable, you can use the new versions of serverwmc and pvr.wmc to use dlna for live tv - instead of the windows stream buffer engine (SBE).

When running in this mode, when your client starts, serverwmc just passes the dlna address of the device you want to use for live-tv to kodi. Later when you start a live stream, serverwmc doesn't do anything, so you won't see any active streams on its status tab, however you will see the tuner is busy in the tuners tab. I have been using this mode on my development pc since I started using helix and it seems to work pretty well, but it would be nice to get others to test it (hence this thread).

Off the top of my head, here are the pros and cons of this mode:
Pros:
1) channels start faster - your mileage on this may vary.
2) no disk space is taken up by temporary wtv & ts files. You can run the stream continuously for a month if you want to (I don't recommend it).
3) the windows rec service cannot steal this tuner from the live stream (depending on how you look at it, this can also be a con).

Cons:
1) for some reason FF and RW don't work. This is a kodi issue, you can find threads where it is discussed. Hopefully someday they'll fix this.
2) Time shifted instant recording will not work, since serverwmc does not have any temp wtv file to use.
3) If you have multiple dlna devices, you have to designate one of them for live-tv streams since this device address is passed only once when the client starts. This means you have the possibility of running out of available live-tv tuners faster when multiple clients are trying to stream live-tv. More on this below.
4) Two client machines watching the same live-tv channel will use two tuners.

To use this mode, you need to edit the config.xml file (debug tab>'edit settings file'):
<UseDLNAChannels_Kodi>true</UseDLNAChannels_Kodi>

As already mentioned, if you have more than one dlna device, by default swmc will choose the lower priority recording device for live streams (recommended). You can set it to high (probably a bad idea), or specify the device IP address of the device you want to use for live streams here (so your choices are low, high, or the <device IP address>):
<DefaultDlnaDevice_Kodi>low</DefaultDlnaDevice_Kodi>

By default, swmc turns off tuner based transcoding (if your device supports it) so that all streams are run at native broadcast resolution. You can change this default here:
Setting the following to true, will make the tuner use its default transcode profile:
<UseHDHRTranscodeForDlna>false</UseHDHRTranscodeForDlna>
You can use this field to set your own custom transcode profile, some examples are: heavy, mobile, internet540, internet480, (see tuner manual for more)
<HDHRForceTranscodeDlnaProfile />

Let us know if you have questions or, if you decide to test it, what your results are.
Windows Media Center PVR addon (pvr.wmc) and server backend (ServerWMC)
http://bit.ly/serverwmc
I was trying to figure all this out and was searching for the PVR.wmc add-on when I found your thread saying only windows and rasp pi versions are out so far. I'm running Linux mint and the kodi rc2.
I could run it on the box I have server wmc on, but I already have wmc running on that one.

I hope a64 bit Linux version comes up soon.
I'm working on getting the linux versions.
Not rushing you by any means, but I'll help test it when its available.
linux versions of 0.3.108 are on the download page.
That was fast! Thanks.
I did get it downloaded and installed today, but kodi kept crashing on me. (Not because of this I'm sure)
I ran out of time to play with it. I'll try again soon hopefully.
Tried setting this up - upgraded to the latest RC of Kodi and installed the new front end. Made the server settings change and it's working OK but seems as though it's still streaming, since I see an active stream showing on the server status tab. I have the latest HDHR Prime firmware so DLNA should be available. Any thoughts?
Please post the serverwmc log on pastebin, that should say what is going on.

edit: also you have to restart serverwmc after you make the setting change for dlna.
I've spent a few minutes playing with it on my AFTV with Helix RC3. When I first selected a channel, it seemed to tune to it quickly, but once I changed channels, it seemed it took awhile to change and once changed, it would buffer a few times before playing. Once that finished, it ran well. For what it's worth, you can see my swmc logs below. They're too large for pastebin.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byzh6qK...sp=sharing
OK, it looks like it's not seeing DLNA available on the HDHR Prime, let me check and make sure that's enabled and working.

2014/12/09 21:17:45.938 EnumerateRecorders> Tuner Devices and TuningSpaces found:
2014/12/09 21:17:45.942 EnumerateRecorders> ContentRecorder: 0
2014/12/09 21:17:46.004 EnumerateRecorders> Device #0
2014/12/09 21:17:46.005 EnumerateRecorders> Name: HDHomeRun Prime Tuner 13110946-1, Space: Digital Cable
2014/12/09 21:17:46.005 EnumerateRecorders> Guid: 4519ace8-1f37-4c2c-bc88-56d15e3c1ba1
2014/12/09 21:17:46.006 EnumerateRecorders> ContentRecorder: 1
2014/12/09 21:17:46.007 EnumerateRecorders> Device #0
2014/12/09 21:17:46.007 EnumerateRecorders> Name: HDHomeRun Prime Tuner 13110946-0, Space: Digital Cable
2014/12/09 21:17:46.007 EnumerateRecorders> Guid: a3cf34ec-005a-4951-8c48-0d3f2b89c192
2014/12/09 21:17:46.007 EnumerateRecorders> ContentRecorder: 2
2014/12/09 21:17:46.007 EnumerateRecorders> Device #0
2014/12/09 21:17:46.007 EnumerateRecorders> Name: HDHomeRun Prime Tuner 13110946-2, Space: Digital Cable
2014/12/09 21:17:46.007 EnumerateRecorders> Guid: 37356ccf-a608-4b6c-867c-524e68709cc6
2014/12/09 21:17:46.011 HDHRtuner::Init> HDHRPrime detected, searching for config tool: C:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun\hdhomerun_config.exe
2014/12/09 21:17:46.011 HDHRtuner::Init> tool found, HDHRPrime is configurable
2014/12/09 21:17:46.491 HDHRtuner::Init> DeviceId: 13110946, IP: 192.168.1.5, Dlna: False, Transcode: False
2014/12/09 21:17:46.497 HDHRtuner::GetLineUp> found channel lineup file: 'C:\ProgramData\Silicondust\HDHomeRun\CableCARD.xml'
2014/12/09 21:17:46.502 HDHRtuner::GetLineUp> lineup channels found: 419
Ha...never mind, that's not my log you're looking at Smile
@jdlive

The way we determine if the tuner is dlna capable is to request the line up from your tuner and see if the channels have a URL element. So to test it, open a webbrowser and enter:
http://hdhrDeviceIP/lineup.xml

@mlu3141

thanks for testing and for the log. It looks like its working the way its supposed to. Channel switching and tuning is all being handled in kodi.
I'm interested in giving DNLA a shot on my HDHomerun Prime, but I'm a bit confused by the discussion of multiple streams. Krusty, can you please elaborate? Can I run multiple clients with DLNA streaming or not? I need to run at least two separate clients (living room and bedroom).
Yeah, I think that was confusing too. Yes, you can run multiple clients as long as you have multiple tuners.

What I was referring to in that first post is that there are many users with two or more hdhr devices, like in my case I have two hdhr-primes, and each prime has 3 tuners. Running in the normal mode (not dlna), when I request a live stream, swmc searches through both devices (six tuners) looking for a free tuner to use. But when you run in dlna mode, swmc has to assign ONE device to a channel when the client first comes online. So if you have multiple devices, swmc has to pick one of the devices to assign to a channel. Now when you start a live stream, instead of finding the free tuner out of six tuners, kodi just goes to the device swmc assigned to the channel and asks for a free tuner from that device - so instead of picking the free tuner form six tuners you are picking the free tuner from 3 tuners.. Make sense now?
Yes, it does. Thanks. I have just one device with three tuners so sounds like I'm good to go.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
how to do dlna with HDHomeRun & serverwmc(1175) & pvr.wmc(3.108)0