Linux Installation on Ubuntu Server without Desktop environment / Gui
I have a small Linux server I put together using spare Pc parts to run a video game server on for me and my friends to play.

So the server is just an old desktop Pc I built using spare parts I pulled out of my closet using Ubunutu Server 14.04.1, an Intel Q9300, evga 750i ftw motherboard, 4Gb ddr2, and the GPU is a Nvidia GTX 560ti. You can see by no means is this a powerful server.

So right now the server is using Ubuntu server 14.04.1 so it has no GUI / Desktop environment. Sorry if my terminology is incorrect I'm new to Linux. But basically everything I do on the server atm is done Via command line.

The game server that I keep running 24/7 i run using a .sh script and it keep it running in its own screen session.

I would like to keep the video game server running 24/7 on it still but also have XBMC/KODI installed on it and also use it as a media center for my T.V. Which is why I have the GTX 560ti installed. I have no Cable box hooked to the T.V so I would like to use this server to watch movies.

The reason I don't just install full Ubuntu with a desktop environment is i only have 4gb memory in the machine and the game server uses almost all of it. If I have no other option I guess I will have to install full Ubuntu and see if the Memory is enough.. Unless someone has some 4 x 2gb ddr2 sticks they want to donate Smile hehe.

Can I install XBMC/KODI even though I have no Desktop environment/GUI on the server? When I hook up my T.V will XMBC display its own GUI even though I have no desktop environment.

Hopefully you understand what I'm trying to say like I said I'm very new to Linux.

Thanks!
yes, thats no problem. You will need an X server obviously, but a desktop environment is not necessary.
See the Radeon OSS or Intel howtos on top of this forum. The procedure applies to ubuntu server as well. You just have to install the nvidia binary driver instead of radeon/intel drivers
Make this file after installing : /etc/init/xbmc.conf

Code:
# xbmc-upstart
# starts XBMC on startup by using xinit.
# by default runs as xbmc, to change edit below.
env USER=xbmc

description     "XBMC-barebones-upstart-script"
author          "Matt Filetto"

#start on (filesystem and stopped udevtrigger)
start on (filesystem)
stop on runlevel [016]

# tell upstart to respawn the process if abnormal exit
respawn

script
  exec su -c "xinit /usr/bin/xbmc --standalone -- -nocursor :0" $USER
end script

And that will start xbmc on your local display even though you dont have a GUI. It will also run as a service - if you kill it it will restart automatically.
If I use that file can I still get to the linux command line so I can start my game server up etc? Thanks. Also I just installed the Nvidia drivers using sudo apt-get install nvidia-current so I need X server also? Forgive my ignorance but I have no idea what X server is. From a google search it seems to be a way to display graphics.

Should I follow the whole Radeon OSS guide? It looks quite complicated to be honest lol..I didn't think it would be so crazy to set up XBMC like this.. There are quite a lot of steps there..

The WIki for the 13.2 release says to do this to install XBMC:

Code:
sudo apt-get install python-software-properties pkg-config
sudo apt-get install software-properties-common
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc

that seems easy hehe but the Raedon post confuses me.. So I'f I'm following the Raedon post can you please tell me which parts to follow? Or if your fealing extra generous even though you have already helped a lot to maybe give me a few personalized instructions Smile ..

I know how to navigate around Linux and copy and create and sudo etc but I'm still confused by what I need to do here.
Thank you for all the help
Well I followed the Radeon guide and used bjarque's text file and amazingly I was able to get it working! I even downloaded the android app and im using it as a remote... Im beyond happy atm lol.. Thank you very much!. Now I need to figure out what All i can do with this and what some tricks or tips are.. I don't have much hdd space in that machine and I havent figured out a good way to actually get movies onto it easly.
To access movies you can host them on another computer and point the library to that using Cifs (windows file sharing)
OpenELEC on Raspberry Pi / XBMCbuntu on Intel HD4000 (3225)
hello there, i have a radeon HD graphics so can i install kodi jarvis on ubuntu server 16.04 without desktop enviroment?
(2014-12-07, 20:43)wsnipex Wrote: yes, thats no problem. You will need an X server obviously, but a desktop environment is not necessary.
See the Radeon OSS or Intel howtos on top of this forum. The procedure applies to ubuntu server as well. You just have to install the nvidia binary driver instead of radeon/intel drivers

How is someone new to Ubuntu and Linux like myself and the person asking the question to know what you are talking about?

Thanks anyway... you got another point for a post for what that is worth.
(2017-03-17, 22:03)anderhan Wrote:
(2014-12-07, 20:43)wsnipex Wrote: yes, thats no problem. You will need an X server obviously, but a desktop environment is not necessary.

How is someone new to Ubuntu and Linux like myself and the person asking the question to know what you are talking about?

Thanks anyway... you got another point for a post for what that is worth.

What was hard to understand about wsnipexs' post? As for that it's called google or are you expecting people to spoonfeed you everything?

From the information given in the first post I would totally expect the OP to understand the answer (and it appears he did) just because YOU didn't understand it doesn't give you the right to attack the answer as it wasn't aimed at you.
@op - Arch Linux might be for you. Just install the base package set, then kodi (which pulls all needed deps). Finally, install kodi-standalone-service. There you go.
Need help programming a Streamzap remote?
@graysky the OP was 2 years ago Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Installation on Ubuntu Server without Desktop environment / Gui0