***SOLVED*** Asus Chromebook C300 + OpenELEC
Hello,

Can Openelec/Kodi be installed on this device Asus Chromebook C300?
Hardware wise seems more than enough since it comes with a "Intel Dual-Core 2.16 GHz Processor with 2 GB RAM."

Could not find any guides for it. Found some results for the Acer C720, but still a not a clear answer or guide.

Also, is it possible to install Openelec to a SD card/USB flash on a Chromebox/Chromebook?
In a few, run Openelec/Kodi from external device and keep OS/internal hard drive untouched
AFTV (non-rooted + Kodi)
WD My Book Live NAS
You cannot boot any alternative OS currently on the BayTrail (N2xxx) based ChromeBooks, which the C300 is. The older ChromeBooks which use a Haswell 2955U can boot/run most anything non-Windows, including OpenELEC, from internal or external storage.
Thank you for the quick and informative response!

Thinking on replacing my HTPC, at first the option was between FTV and Chromebox.
But if I can find a Chromebook or another similar device around $200, that at the same time I can take with me on the go anywhere + good battery life + internet access, might be a better option.

Any suggestions?
AFTV (non-rooted + Kodi)
WD My Book Live NAS
there's at least 4 ChromeBooks with a Haswell CPU that would fit you needs
You can probably install Crouton and get ubuntu + Kodi that way, if you're dead-set on a C300 for some reason. But yeah, do what Matt said.
Not set on any yet, just bought a C300 ($170 Black Friday) as a xmas gift for a family member and got the idea of getting a Chromebook instead.
Sadly did not think about it before and missed the C720, which was on sale for $150 as well, as well as the great price there was on the Chromebooks.

Anyhow after some searches found this site, which lists all Chromebooks models.
http://www.chromebookworld.com/product-databank/

Now I see if I choose this route, it will have to be something with "Intel Celeron 2955U".

Thanks for all the info!
AFTV (non-rooted + Kodi)
WD My Book Live NAS
that site is terribly inaccurate, since it shows the Haswell CPU ChromeBooks as having "Gen 7 BayTrail" graphics. In addition to the 2955U-based ChromeBooks, any with the Core i3-4010U (Dell, Acer) will work as well.
:-)
Is this one better?
http://prodct.info/chromebooks/#f&

4010U or 4005U? It seems only one chromebox has the 4010U. Assuming the site is right, but I also checked other places, as well as Intel Site for Haswell.

Thanks for the info! Learning more than I imaged!
AFTV (non-rooted + Kodi)
WD My Book Live NAS
either, both are Haswell CPUs

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
***SOLVED*** Asus Chromebook C300 + OpenELEC0