Logitech Harmony Universial Remotes and XBMC for Xbox?
i also had to contact customer support in order to make the changes suggested. the 'updated my xbox device' and after applying the 100ms/200ms  delay settings, it definetily improved ! however, it still feels more sluggish to me than it does with the original remote.
i guess i may be too picky. will try to modify the advanced settings xml next.

i also asked them if xbmc would be available as a device. here's logitech cs's reply:

"we have made a few changes to your account and set up the xbox to make all the changes your require. you will now be able to change the speed settings for your account.

at the moment the xbox is only listed under the game console and not under a media center. we are constantly upgrading our database so in due time it will be available. thank you for your concern"

Information 
Hi all,

I just purchased a Logitech Harmony 525 Remote and it works great in combination with my XBOX and XBMC.
I also have an IRmod and now the only problem is i want to switch my Xbox ON and OFF with the Harmony. This works great in Activity mode, as i can specify which button-combination turns my Xbox On and Off.
Now i also want to switch my Xbox On and Off in DEVICE mode of my Harmony with a single button press. But in Device mode i nowhere can specify which button-combination turns my Xbox on (stop+stop+select = Turn Xbox ON) for a specific button. If i press manually stop+stop+select in device-mode, then it works. But i want that with a single button press. Nod

I also tried to learn the 3 button presses in device mode, but the harmony does only accept a single button press. The Logitech Harmony Support Hotline said, that this is not possible. But it must be possible.

Has anyone realised this for any Harmony Remote in DEVICE mode? Are there perhaps special Codes already enabled in the database by Logitech and i just have to contact the Logitech Support Hotline to enable the codes for my profile?

Many thanks in advance.

sCAPe
My XBOX built into a Sony Hifi CD-Player Case
XBOX Hifi Media Center Picture Gallery

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

You need to be able to define a "macro" for the Harmony remote. In the past you could do this through the Harmony website under some advanced option, but IIRC this has since been removed to avoid confusing some users. Supposedly you can still request a macro be created by the Harmony support group, although phone support told you this isn't possible. I would try requesting help again, probably through online/email support means rather than a hotline. Be clear in your request. You require a macro function be defined under device X that includes the three required button presses. A 200ms-300ms delay between presses may help. Ask that it be labeled Power On or something similar. The last I read in some AV remote forums they should be able to do this for you.

Eventually I've got to get off my butt and do the same on my box and Harmony 880, so I can finally put away the Xbox dongle remote. Have you done anything special with your keymapping file? If so would you mind posting it? Could help others that are looking to control XBMC entirely by remote.

-Whoopin'
Thanks for your reply. I already solved the problem myself.

Here is how i did it:

- Just go to the Logitech Member Website and sign in
- go to your XBOX Device and click on "More Options"
- Now click on "Learn Infrared Signals"
- Scroll down the whole list and click on the "Advanced Configuration" Button at the end of the page
- Now you can create new commands and name them "PowerON" and "PowerOFF" or you can edit the existing commands
- Be sure that you learn the new commands in BINARY MODE!!
- Now just press the button combination required for your XBox to turn on (example: STOP-STOP-SELECT)
- Now you get an Error-Message that the command is too long. YOU CAN IGNORE THIS Error Message!
- Just repeat the process with the buttons again (example: STOP-STOP-SELECT)
- Now the command is beeing recognized! ;-)
Repeat the whole procedure for the "PowerOFF" Button and thats it!

And no, i have no special keymap.xml just for my harmony remote. I only changed some buttons in general, but that has nothing to do with the harmony remote.

EDIT: I just created a new entry in the Online Manual for this.
http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/wiki/inde...ON_and_OFF

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

Which mod are you guys using that powers off with that combination?
Hi - 1st post in what looks like a vibrant forum so fingers crossedSmile

I have a Harmony 555 which I have used to learn all the codes from a MS DVD remote so all good so far. I wanted to add a few more codes to help configure XBMC so I got a cheap universal remote from Poundland (model URC22B) with a view to telling the universal remote it was an RCA DVD player them learning some commands from this to my Harmony.

None of the codes listed for the RCA DVDs worked (I have turned on the debug in XBMC to show the codes received and nothing is) so I was wondering if any one knew any other brands/devices on the universal remote that the XBMC might recognise?

TIA

RAP
You don't need to learn any buttons for the xbox as long as you're using the microsoft brand ir reciever. All you have to do is select the xbox in harmony's database of devices. For additional buttons there are already extra buttons in the xbox device from harmony's database. You just have to figure out what each one is by showing all remote codes in xbmc and renaming the buttons in your harmony and then assigning them with the keymap.xml in the userdata folder on your xbox.
gzusrawx Wrote:You don't need to learn any buttons for the xbox as long as you're using the microsoft brand ir reciever. All you have to do is select the xbox in harmony's database of devices. For additional buttons there are already extra buttons in the xbox device from harmony's database. You just have to figure out what each one is by showing all remote codes in xbmc and renaming the buttons in your harmony and then assigning them with the keymap.xml in the userdata folder on your xbox.
When I first selected the Xbox from the harmony database none of the buttons seemed to do anything at all so I had to learn each one from the original.

I picked the option that said something like "Games Console that can play DVDs" - perhaps I should just have tried the ordinary one?

Anyway - I'll have a try again with those keys that I haven't re-learned so thanks for the suggestion.

RAP
yah I have a harmony 520 and haven't had any problems just make sure that your ir reciever is microsoft because it will not work with a non microsoft reciever without learning the codes from the remote

btw yeah I went through game console with dvd and it gave me an option for the xbox
gzusrawx Wrote:yah I have a harmony 520 and haven't had any problems just make sure that your ir reciever is microsoft because it will not work with a non microsoft reciever without learning the codes from the remote

btw yeah I went through game console with dvd and it gave me an option for the xbox
Thanks - looking at my ir receiver I think it must be 3rd party one as it has a little slider to switch between Region 1 and 2 which I wouldn't have thought an official one had?

So back to my original question - any one have any ideas on some compatible devices that the universal remote might mimic?

Cheers

RAP
Codes are going to be different for each non-microsoft reciever that is being used. There might be someone who has the same exact receiver as you and maybe they've discovered what codes work with that particular receiver, but in order to do that they'd had to have tried every one. My suggestion, go down to gamestop or eb games or whatever game store is in your area and buy a microsoft remote for $10. I had to myself because I also had a third party remote.
Thanks to gzusrawx as he was spot on. I managed to pick up a proper MS dongle from my local second hand store for a mere £1 and the xbox setup from the Harmony database works fine with this.

RAP
rapepper Wrote:Thanks to gzusrawx as he was spot on. I managed to pick up a proper MS dongle from my local second hand store for a mere £1 and the xbox setup from the Harmony database works fine with this.

RAP

How many "extra buttons" do you now have for XBMC? Would like to do that too.
I think i have already selected the "XBOX" device on the harmony-website. Then the "extra" buttons should be there, isn't it?

Anyway, can somebody confirm the "hack" Wink i discovered some posts above regarding swithing the XBOX on and off with a single-button press?

See here: http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/wiki/inde...ON_and_OFF

Does this work for anyone with a harmony too, as it works fine for me? Big Grin

The buttons are there, named as different things some of them are already programed for xbmc because they use some of the same codes as the mc extender remote but the other ones I had to make my own keymap.xml and rename the buttons in the harmony.
G'day,

I've got a Harmony 880 remote, and I added an "Xbox" device and tweaked the settings so that XBMC commands are mapped to the remote.

I tested this using the remote's "Device" mode and it works fairly well.

But when I set up a new "XBMC" activity for the Xbox using Logitech's remote software, I get a warning that the remote cannot control the Xbox device, as the IR dongle is required. I have an MS IR dongle, and obviously it works in "Device" mode, but I cannot find an option in the configuration that allows me to specify that an IR dongle is in fact present.

So, sure enough, when I select "XBMC" activity on the remote, none of the buttons work. But if I switch to "device" mode, then I can control XBMC using my remote.

Any suggestions on how to get around this?

--Geoff

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Logitech Harmony Universial Remotes and XBMC for Xbox?0