• 15(current)
ODROID-C1 from Hardkernel is a $35 Development Board powered by AMLogic S805
(2015-07-22, 23:54)oWarchild Wrote:
(2015-07-22, 20:17)noggin Wrote: (I agree not everyone watches lots of 70s and 80s BBC SciFi shot on tape... Err... Move along. Nothing to see here...)

Does that include Red Dwarf? I used to watch that on TV, loved it! Smile

Yes. And No.
<Nerd Mode ON>
Original Red Dwarf was shot interlaced.
They then 'remastered it' and 'film effected it' (in other words threw away every other field, halved the vertical resolution and made it look 'filmic')

The recent series was shot on HD cameras (Reds I think) and shot 25p so progressive from the camera.
<Nerd Mode OFF>

(Does my Nerd mode ever actually switch off?)

And I'm much more Classic Doctor Who, Blakes Seven, The Tripods and Starcops (The latter two are very niche)
And has anyone else watched Blindpassasjer... (If the two above were niche - Norwegian sci fi? That deserves a whole new level of nicheness...)
Ha Ha, there a whole level of Noggin Nicheness that we can only aspire too Wink
I do love Red Dwarf too tho. and Doctor Who.
A lot of those are on repeat on TV or sometimes in Netflix when I use a geo restriction unblocker.

I think I better state that the C1, does not meet the Noggin Niche Standard !
It's a pretty high standard and someone needs to make up a slap on Gold sticker.

Never heard of Blakes Seven, The Tripods and Starcops, Blindpassasjer... Blush But I'll look them in IMDB.
(2015-07-22, 16:31)MediaPi Wrote: wrxtasy what about colour reproduction of C1 compared to Pi2?
I've just been building and compiling OpenElec and booted up the v5.0.8 release again on the C1. I'm surprised I did not notice this before.
The Blue Globe on the startup screen behind the OpenElec Logo on the C1 is nicely shaded and detailed. The OpenElec text itself is also detailed without noticeable Jaggies / Aliasing artefacts.

The corresponding Blue Globe on a later version 5.9.3 of OpenElec (also the RPi nightlies) on the RPi2 has terrible blue colour banding / gradients, and the OpenElec text has small jagged edges. The detail missing is noticeable.

This is using the same HDMI port and settings on my Sony TV. RGB Dynamic Range left to Auto on the TV.

Maybe this is why I unconciously actually prefer watching video on the C1.
I suspect a more modern GPU/VPU on the C1 produces superior picture results. 1080p HEVC video detail is very good Smile

S805 / C1 / VPU:
Quote:Video Post-Processing Engine
- Motion adaptive 3D noise reduction filter
- Advanced motion adaptive edge enhancing de-interlacing engine
- 3:2 pull-down support
- Programmable poly-phase scalar for both horizontal and vertical dimension for zoom and windowing
- Programmable color management filter (to enhance blue, green, red, face and other colors)
- Dynamic Non-Linear Luma filter
- Programmable color matrix pipeline
- Video mixer: 2 video planes and 2 graphics planes per video output

Lots of users over at c1 forum have been commenting about the color being allot superior on the c1. Remember something about a limitation of the RPI SOC. I wanted a users perspective here, that's why I asked. Thanks wrxtasy.

They just need official openelec build, and the flood gates would open
(2015-07-24, 10:20)MediaPi Wrote: They just need official openelec build, and the flood gates would open.
Yes I completely agree. It would be the 1080p HEVC Hardware decode equivalent of an OpenElec RPi2.
Except faster and even more versatile. Smile

Package it in a Black Lego Box with a White stripe across the middle and call it the OREOElec ODROID Wink
Kiddies and Kodi Nerds and maybe even Noggins' might love it.

Now here is something very interesting indeed for ARM7 users that want to run Linux on Android:
TV Headend server running on Android anyone ?

http://linuxonandroid.org
https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...inuxdeploy

And here is what is going on under the Hood:
http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=1920

(2015-07-22, 19:50)wrxtasy Wrote:
Quote:ODROID-C1+
The ODROID-C1+, released in August 2015, offers several new
features and improvements over the original ODROID-C1:

• HDMI connector was changed to Type A from Type D
The Type A connection allows a standard HDMI cable to be used with any compliant
HDMI monitor without the need for a Type D adapter or cable.

• Expanded microSD card compatibility
The original C1 model worked optimally with a specific set of microSD cards,
and using a non-compliant card would sometimes results in a slow-booting or
non-booting image. The C1+ is compatible with a wider array of microSD cards.

• Improved CEC functionality
The CEC harware has been updated to operate regardless of the presence of
an RTC backup battery.

• USB OTG power path
A small hardware modification could be performed on the original C1 model to
allow it to be powered via the USB OTG port. This modification is now standard
with the C1+ model.

• I2S signals exposed for external audio DAC
The I2S signals can be easily accessed on the C1+ model in order to permit the
use of an external audio Digital-To-Analog Converter (DAC).

I'm really impressed with what HardKernel is doing here. I've been following some threads about the ODROID-C1 and I remember that at some point people didn't think HardKernel would address the C1 issues, and this proves the opposite. OpenELEC official support would definitely be a game changer. Another game changer would be a C2 based on the s905 with HEVC 10-bit support Big Grin
(2015-07-22, 19:50)wrxtasy Wrote:
Quote:ODROID-C1+
The ODROID-C1+, released in August 2015, offers several new
features and improvements over the original ODROID-C1:

• HDMI connector was changed to Type A from Type D
The Type A connection allows a standard HDMI cable to be used with any compliant
HDMI monitor without the need for a Type D adapter or cable.

• Expanded microSD card compatibility
The original C1 model worked optimally with a specific set of microSD cards,
and using a non-compliant card would sometimes results in a slow-booting or
non-booting image. The C1+ is compatible with a wider array of microSD cards.

• Improved CEC functionality
The CEC harware has been updated to operate regardless of the presence of
an RTC backup battery.

• USB OTG power path
A small hardware modification could be performed on the original C1 model to
allow it to be powered via the USB OTG port. This modification is now standard
with the C1+ model.

• I2S signals exposed for external audio DAC
The I2S signals can be easily accessed on the C1+ model in order to permit the
use of an external audio Digital-To-Analog Converter (DAC).

Thank you for the insight in to what HardKernel is working on next. Definitely looking forward to this!

Also for anyone possibly wondering where wrxtasy got this information from, it is located in the ODROID-C1 User Manual on the very last page.
(2015-07-24, 11:39)oWarchild Wrote: I'm really impressed with what HardKernel is doing here. I've been following some threads about the ODROID-C1 and I remember that at some point people didn't think HardKernel would address the C1 issues, and this proves the opposite. OpenELEC official support would definitely be a game changer. Another game changer would be a C2 based on the s905 with HEVC 10-bit support Big Grin
Yes - and the way they quietly updated the C1 with a v2 modification to fix CEC (indicated by a yellow spot on the Ethernet connector) was a good move.

I hope they manage to sort the remaining issues. Would be amazing if there was official OpenElec support for the C1. Now the Wetek Play, based on an older AMLogic SoC, has official support, and given that it appears that the C1 delivers pretty well in AV terms (without some of the major issues that the Cubox/Vero SoC appears to have) it would be great if Hardkernel and OpenElec could sort something. (Though I guess HK are just as interested, if not more so, in their Exynos Quad/Octo core systems which don't have such good VPU support?)

It is interesting that pretty much all of those changes above make the C1+ more Pi-like. (HDMI A connector, improved CEC, Power via USB Micro connector, I2S audio and MicroSD card compatibility ?)

Heat Sink installed at no extra cost apparently... guess I will find out when the UPS carrier Pigeon delivers on Monday ! SmileImage

(2015-07-24, 19:15)wrxtasy Wrote: Heat Sink installed at no extra cost apparently... guess I will find out when the UPS carrier Pigeon delivers on Monday ! SmileImage

Though the heatsink was their justification for the slight rise in price?
For $3 increase plus all the other improvements who's complaining for that sort of neat design ? Wink

Thinking of getting the c1+ as another toy to tinker with and the pi2 won't do hevc. What is its 3d playback like? Don't mind running under android or openelec. Though does it run lollipop yet as I hear you need that for 24p
(2015-07-25, 12:20)nikc0069 Wrote: Thinking of getting the c1+ as another toy to tinker with and the pi2 won't do hevc. What is its 3d playback like? Don't mind running under android or openelec.
No 3D MVC yet AIUI - though suggestions the hardware is capable and it is being worked on? 3D HSBS/HDTAB will play fine - as they are effectively "3D-within-2D" formats, though I don't think the C1 currently does the HDMI format signalling that the Pi / Pi 2 does with HSBS/HTAB (automatically switching the TV into the correct viewing mode)?

Quote:Though does it run lollipop yet as I hear you need that for 24p

You don't need Lollipop for refresh rate switching (including 23.976) on the C1 running Android - they have implemented the required functionality in their 4.4.2 builds, with Kodi support.

AIUI Lollipop should bring refresh rate switching to more platforms without having a need for bespoke solutions like the current C1 method?
  • 15(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ODROID-C1 from Hardkernel is a $35 Development Board powered by AMLogic S8051