• 83(current)
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi (Kodi 15.0) Part 1
Jerkyness is intollerable with LiveTV of the same channel (MeTV), but when recorded that same channel plays fine. That's kind of interesting. As in zahpod24's case, live tv of an HD main channel looks good as long as it's not in a window. As soon as any overlay is up on the screen, it jerks and the motion isn't smooth. It stutters and then races ahead to catch up with the audio. All this is only with LiveTV and DVDPlayer. If I make a recording, then it's ok so I don't know how you could debug that.

Maybe the remuxing by the ServerWMC when watching live TV? I'm guessing that stream errors cause all of this, but I can't improve my signal any more. Even with MeTV, after it settles in for a few seconds it's not bad for the most part. WMC doesn't feed the signal quality info kodi as you can see here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e3nlyx1gnaiiga...2.png?dl=0

Am I doing something wrong that's causing all that useful info to not show up?
Experience: It's what you get when you were expecting something else.
(2015-03-20, 17:13)afremont Wrote: Is the frame skip due to syncing to the refresh rate of the display (projector Optoma HD25e)? As in a phase type mismatch? I ask because the skip seems to occur at precise intervals.

Maybe if you could provide a sample for popcornmix, he could answer that definitively.

There are a couple of component debugging options for capturing (dumping) video and audio frames (look in .kodi/temp), this might be acceptable to popcornmix if obtaining samples any other way is too difficult, although I imagine the original source is preferable.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2015-03-20, 17:13)afremont Wrote: I see the codec info seems to show the a/v going from 0 to -0.040 at the max. It takes about 1 second for a cycle of that to happen. It's updating so fast that's it's really hard to tell. I'd have to make a movie of the screen to actually see what it's doing. At any rate, it looks pretty good. I'll try sticking with DVDPlayer instead. Skipping a frame every 10 seconds isn't noticeable. Is the frame skip due to syncing to the refresh rate of the display (projector Optoma HD25e)? As in a phase type mismatch? I ask because the skip seems to occur at precise intervals.

By default the audio clock is the master, and to correct A/V discrepancies video frames are duplicated/dropped.
If you enabled "sync playback to display" then the video clock is the master and to correct A/V discrepancies audio is resampled (or duplicated/dropped).

So you may prefer the behaviour with "sync playback to display" enabled.
@popcormix, Ok thanks for the feedback on the frame drop thing. It seems like it would pretty much have to be like that since old analog TV only provided 29.97 fps due to technicalities of broadcasting color. So to display 30 or 60 fps would require duplicating a frame about every 10 seconds. Would a duped frame show up as a skip? IOW, what exactly causes a skip increment? I'm just trying to learn something new here? I'm old school when it comes to video, so I'm used to the analog world and it's unusual requirements. I'm in the US of course where 60Hz power frequency rules the day.

I don't know any way to provide a Live TV sample without recording, and recording covers up the problem of jerks and stutters. I'm content to assume that it's stream errors. I'm sure the broadcaster could care less and does whatever is needed to keep the primary channel's bitrate up. The fact that it's a 2Mbps stream pretty much gives that away. You should see how bad it macro blocks when there is a large amount of motion. The rotating logo is good at causing that to occur. When it's a still image, it fills the picture in nice. Fire seems to be a difficult thing to compress.

I do see some artifacts when watching TV that I take to be stream errors that might be generated at the station, or due to multipath reception. I'm beginning to think that I actually have too much signal strength. I say that because I had my antenna down on the ground one day while installing a mast mounted pre-amp, and it seemed to work just fine. My one TV that actually has a signal strength indicator showed the same strength down on the ground as when up in the air. If I turn the gain up on the pre-amp, the TV starts showing a reduction in signal strength. I'm guessing that might be caused by overload or IMD. When the weather gets a little nicer, I'm going to try some things with my outdoor antenna and see if I can come up with answers. I wish had some kind of ability to analyze the live stream. Maybe it's time to get my coding hat out and start learning how this all works in the digital TV realm.

I hate to see you or Milhouse waste time over something that might be just a fact of life on this end. I find it interesting that zaphod24 is using the same TV broadcast (I don't know where he lives). We are both using the MeTV subchannel from our local OTA broadcasters. Perhaps this is originating at the uplink end of things. I don't know what city he lives in, but I don't think it's in Houston TX. IIRC, he lives in California.

I'm happy to try and provide anything you like that might help to improve error handling for everyone using DVDPlayer. I certainly don't want you to work on something that only affects me.

The following stuff is off topic.
OT EDIT: My "expertise" in video handling ends with any thing more advanced than what a BT878 chip can do. All this MPEG2, h.264 and MPEG4 (is that the same as h.264) is a new world to me. I promise to learn it though as I have time. I've written stuff that uses V4L and V4L2 interface to the kernel, but only to grab and process analog frames. I'm very interested in porting some of my stuff to the Pi using it's built in camera. I figured out how to get /dev/video0 to appear, but have a very long way to go on understanding what's taking place below that. I got my capture/motion detection stuff to compile and link, but it pukes on this:
Code:
pi@raspberrypi ~/devel/drawonimage $ ./vidcap -d /dev/video0
Searching /mnt/cap/video0 for biggest existing frame number
Largest existing frame number found = ..
cap_count set to 0
Current input Camera 0 supports:
VIDIOC_G_STD: Inappropriate ioctl for device
pi@raspberrypi ~/devel/drawonimage $

I'll figure it out though. Smile Thanks again.

afremont (another long winded post Wink
@Milhouse,

Thanks again for all your hard work and for the reply. I really appreciate it and will donate more money to the project whenever I can afford it. Things are a little tough right now, but the sun is starting to show through the black clouds. I actually have people calling and e-mailing me wanting to know I can help them cut their cable and use the stuff that I'm using. I promise to donate a percentage of anything I make installing Kodi or OpenELEC for customers.
New OpenELEC Isengard build #0320: RPi / RPi2
(Supercedes previous build)

Code:
# uname -a
Linux rpi512 3.19.2 #1 Fri Mar 20 21:53:05 GMT 2015 armv6l GNU/Linux

# vcgencmd version
Mar 16 2015 19:34:31
Copyright (c) 2012 Broadcom
version 51ab816b505d1b745130562908d866915c836056 (clean) (release)

# lsb_release
OpenELEC (Milhouse) - Version: devel-20150320215211-#0320-g248a1ff [Build #0320]

# vcdbg log msg 2>&1 | grep DTOK
001526.645: Kernel trailer DTOK property says yes

# Kernel device tree status: Enabled

Based on tip of OpenELEC master (248a1ff8, changelog) and tip of XBMC master (6f66aaf4, changelog) with the following modifications: Build Highlights:
  1. Various updates
Build Details:
  1. OpenELEC:
    • VAAPI: Bump libva and libva-driver-intel (PR:4024, 2 commits, 3 files changed)
    • libdrm: update to libdrm-2.4.60 (3a46c41a)
    • projects/imx6/linux: include some firmwares (9bbf04b3)
  2. XBMC:
    • paplayer: drop 60k lines of needless code (PR:6131, 3 commits, 1181 files changed)
    • [resampler] Use ffmpeg for quiet noise generation (PR:6759, 1 commit, 5 files changed)
    • [OMXImage] Increase jpeg decode timeout (PR:6758, 1 commit, 1 file changed)
    • videodb: store the number of seasons of a tvshow in CVideoInfoTag::m_iSeason (PR:6767, 1 commit, 1 file changed)
    • [pvr] Improved content of pvr shutdown warning dialog. (PR:6734, 1 commit, 6 files changed)
    • New feature: Added parameters to skin include directive ($PARAM[Name]) (PR:4876, 2 commits, 4 files changed)
  3. newclock4:
    • New commits in this build:
      • guilib: only update scrollinfo if frametime did change (e357158b)
      • fix frametime for active vsync (3d142d08)
    • Commits no longer in build:
      • [OMXImage] Increase jpeg decode timeout (98f72977)
      • Use ffmpeg for quiet noise generation (5131eb94)
  4. kernel 3.19.y:
    • New commits in this build:
      • config: recreate with savedefconfig (2dae3c6d)
  5. Additional commits/pull requests/changes not yet merged upstream:
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Turning off deinterlacing or using something other than MMAL-Advanced does seem to help or eliminate the stutter on the 720x480 channels. Still very odd that it can handle 1920x1080 no problem but 720x480 stutters.

I'm using Charter and get my TV over cable but I have the same MeTV channel as afremont.
noticed the same in regard of stuttering with MMAL deinterlacer and SD live TV
I noticed this a while back, but kept forgetting to ask about it. Why does the codec info show the LiveTV framerate to be 25fps, but when it's recorded it seems correct. I live in the US where everything is multiples of 30 (roughly).

Here are screenshots showing it with both OMXPlayer and DVDPlayer with live TV
https://www.dropbox.com/s/buwlqnfur10h6w...4.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/166v7d8p19dr54...3.png?dl=0
Here are screenshots of recorded TV (.wtv files) using each player
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6x53oauc2todpu...0.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fr42j7tpm5h3gn...1.png?dl=0

Could this have anything to do with why zaphod24 and I have stuttering problems with LiveTV using DVDPlayer? Just a thought.
Hi everyone,

@Milhouse, first of all, thank you for the effort you have made in improving Kodi.

I have used your releases on my old rPi1 since XBMC Gotham and they are fantastic.
I Have sold my rPi1 and this thursday I received the new rpi2. Had installed the official image of the Openelec 5.0.6 on the SD card and then I did the update to your release #317. Everything is working properly but the addon from fightnight "Tv Portuguesa" don't play the live streams events. Always shows this message: ""Tv Portuguesa error, see log for more info". AFAIK, your releases have the librtmp updated.
I have installed your releases from #317 to #320 and the error happens in all.
I also have an hacked release based on the oficial Openelec 5.0.6 with the libraries updated. With this release the Tv Portuguesa streams works nicely but when I try to play some movie on other addon I got a black screen with no image and only got the sound.
I have open the tar achive with 7z and confirmed that the librtmp.so.1 file is the same on the hacked 5.0.6 and in your releases. I cannot tell why the streams did not work.
Can someone help me with this?

Thanks a lot in advance.
(2015-03-21, 16:51)hipeboy Wrote: Always shows this message: ""Tv Portuguesa error, see log for more info".

And you want help without posting your log - are we mind readers? Upload your log to a pastebin site, maybe then we can give a more informed reply.

In the absence of any log, work backwards from #0317 to identify the last working build. Although to be honest, just because an addon stops working with a bleeding edge build doesn't automatically mean it's a problem with Kodi or the build, there could be a very good reason the addon no longer works. There have been a ton of addon, API and language related changes in recent builds of Kodi 15 and it's quite possible this particular addon is simply no longer compatible with Kodi 15 and needs to be updated.

(2015-03-21, 16:51)hipeboy Wrote: when I try to play some movie from the Genesis addon
Don't mention Genesis or your posts will be binned (read Piracy Policy link, top of Pi sub-forum).
Hi @Milhouse,

Sorry, forgot to add the log. Here it is: http://xbmclogs.com/pqxvvgkgm
There is a warning at line 208 and two exceptions in lines 209-210.

Generate this with a rPi1 and your build #320.

Thanks,
hipeboy
In the absence of any evidence this is a Kodi 15 problem (working back through the Kodi builds to find the last working version might have been useful, so we could narrow down the PR that causes the addon to break), please contact the addon maintainer for support - I looked at the log, looks like an addon bug to me.
(2015-03-20, 21:20)afremont Wrote: @popcormix, Ok thanks for the feedback on the frame drop thing. It seems like it would pretty much have to be like that since old analog TV only provided 29.97 fps due to technicalities of broadcasting color. So to display 30 or 60 fps would require duplicating a frame about every 10 seconds. Would a duped frame show up as a skip? IOW, what exactly causes a skip increment? I'm just trying to learn something new here? I'm old school when it comes to video, so I'm used to the analog world and it's unusual requirements. I'm in the US of course where 60Hz power frequency rules the day.

For info the 29.97/59.94 and 23.976Hz frame/field rates still rule in "60Hz" territories - with ATSC / ISDB-T broadcast TV, US DVDs and Blu-rays almost universally using those frame rates rather than 24.00, 30.00 or 60.00Hz. There are some 24.00Hz Blu-rays out there (often European releases) but they aren't as common. It isn't just an analogue (analog) TV thing - as digital TV (SD and HD) had to be backwards compatible with analogue outlets for simulcast reasons.

The Pi / Pi 2 are good in that they support both the variants - unlike some other platforms.
(2015-03-21, 18:40)hipeboy Wrote: Hi @Milhouse,

Sorry, forgot to add the log. Here it is: http://xbmclogs.com/pqxvvgkgm
There is a warning at line 208 and two exceptions in lines 209-210.

Generate this with a rPi1 and your build #320.

Thanks,
hipeboy

There are other addons from the same author(s) that don't work with the latest builds. Had the opportunity to look at a friend's RPi log a few days ago and same thing. Different addon, same problem.
  • 83(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi (Kodi 15.0) Part 112