• 95(current)
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi (Kodi 15.0) Part 1
Are any of you experiencing stuttery playback of certain MPEG2 live streams? I'm using the new HDHomeRun add-on and have this on a couple of ATSC 1080i channels, while others (both 720p and 1080i) play perfectly. I have the codec licenses purchased and added to config.txt.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
(2015-03-29, 14:44)popcornmix Wrote: If it's not the epel patch, then a nightly build on Windows/linux should have similar ffmpeg hevc code. Can you provoke a crash there?

I've rebuilt #0328 without epel and HEVC continues to crash on the Pi2 (haven't done any testing on Pi1).

A Linux build (Ubuntu 14.10 x64, 2c6d5a8f) does NOT crash (must have started these HEVC files 30 times, all played successfully, no crashes).
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
@Milhouse, thanks for the debug build. Here is a crash watching the same program from last night:

http://sprunge.us/MGWI

Several of my channels seem to produce periodic crashes when OMXPlayer is being used, Comedy Central, Disney, Nickelodean. I wonder if it is because they often use telecine and also do weird framerate changes during commercials. I'm uploading the recording to google drive now but it may be a few hours because it is 1.9gb.
Further to the HEVC crashes, here's a debug-enabled crashlog without epel: http://sprunge.us/YGGJ
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2015-03-29, 17:59)Milhouse Wrote: Further to the HEVC crashes, here's a debug-enabled crashlog without epel: http://sprunge.us/YGGJ

Do you think this crash is new to this build?
(2015-03-29, 18:02)popcornmix Wrote: Do you think this crash is new to this build?

No. I went back to #0227 and could get that to crash as well, so it's always been present since the introduction of HEVC support.

It doesn't happen all the time though, and may be dependent on rapid start-stop-start of HEVC files which is probably why I missed it when I initially tested a few movies (I tended to watch them for a minute or so, before testing the next).

With my current testing, it seems that if you start-stop-start a few movies in quick succession then you're pretty much guaranteed a crash eventually. I'm streaming these HEVC movies over SMB but I've also tested locally with the exact same result.

Edit: #0225 also crashes when playing HEVC, but this shouldn't have any of the NEON optimisations (#0225 crashlog: http://sprunge.us/ESLb)
(2015-03-29, 15:50)hdmkv Wrote: Are any of you experiencing stuttery playback of certain MPEG2 live streams? I'm using the new HDHomeRun add-on and have this on a couple of ATSC 1080i channels, while others (both 720p and 1080i) play perfectly. I have the codec licenses purchased and added to config.txt.

Yes i see them in some 1080i streams and some sd tv channels from Tvheadend. Easy to see in camera pans
(2015-03-29, 14:35)noggin Wrote: Sorry wasn't clear. Files have Dolby Digital audio. Until now I've run with pass through enabled and have no stutter. However with the DTS HD MA and Dolby True HD decode (but not passthrough) capability, I disabled passthrough as I thought this would be needed to force decoding. With passthrough disabled I get stutter on these files.

Does enabling omxplayer work for you?
How about with omxplayer disabled but with "sync playback to display" enabled?
(2015-03-29, 18:08)Milhouse Wrote: With my current testing, it seems that if you start-stop-start a few movies in quick succession then you're pretty much guaranteed a crash eventually. I'm streaming these HEVC movies over SMB but I've also tested locally with the exact same result.

It's not crashing easily in my debug environment. Tried 3 HEVC files, and about 50 start/stops without a crash (just letting each file for about a second).
(2015-03-29, 18:39)popcornmix Wrote:
(2015-03-29, 14:35)noggin Wrote: Sorry wasn't clear. Files have Dolby Digital audio. Until now I've run with pass through enabled and have no stutter. However with the DTS HD MA and Dolby True HD decode (but not passthrough) capability, I disabled passthrough as I thought this would be needed to force decoding. With passthrough disabled I get stutter on these files.

Does enabling omxplayer work for you?
How about with omxplayer disabled but with "sync playback to display" enabled?

I've tried with and without omxplayer and pretty certain I tried both with and without sync playback to display for both players. In all cases disabling passthrough causes stutter. Will double check though.
I suspect that the problem is not hevc, but the software decoding at all. I reproduced the same bug with 264, when hardware decoding was turned off .
(2015-03-29, 18:41)popcornmix Wrote: It's not crashing easily in my debug environment. Tried 3 HEVC files, and about 50 start/stops without a crash (just letting each file for about a second).

Strange. I've tried testing #0328 (with and without epel), with a minimal config.txt (only "gpu_mem=256" and two codec licences, no overclock of any kind), and with a fresh .kodi, and I can still get it to crash with ease (by the 3rd or 4th file).
(2015-03-29, 19:12)MONSTA Wrote: I suspect that the problem is not hevc, but the software decoding at all. I reproduced the same bug with 264, when hardware decoding was turned off .

Yep (good point) - I've now been able to crash Kodi with a regular h264 movie that I never had a problem with when using hardware accelerated decoding.

Setting Video Acceleration to "Software" is sufficient, although it sometimes takes a few start-stop-start cycles (although in the log below, I managed to crash Kodi on the second "start").

Crashlog (debug enabled, no epel): http://sprunge.us/OAeE
Popcornmix - here's an update on the playback performance of a Pi 2 with the file I PMed you a link to :

No audio pass-through
OMX Player - Sync to Display - very occasional
OMX Player - No Sync to Display - frequent
MMAL Acceleration - Sync to Display - occasional
MMAL Acceleration - No Sync to Display - frequent
(Sync to display method, when enabled, was Resample Audio)

So Sync to display improves things, but in all cases there are still issues IMO.

Audio pass-through
All the above scenarios are close to perfect - with possibly the odd stutter. No obvious difference between them.
New OpenELEC Isengard build #0329: RPi / RPi2
(Supercedes previous build)

Code:
# uname -a
Linux rpi512 3.19.3 #1 Sun Mar 29 21:41:10 BST 2015 armv6l GNU/Linux

# vcgencmd version
Mar 27 2015 18:48:55
Copyright (c) 2012 Broadcom
version b2109b1c1c8ae8717df455cfaf312a6c1801f45a (clean) (release)

# lsb_release
OpenELEC (Milhouse) - Version: devel-20150329213945-#0329-g5a88392 [Build #0329]

# vcdbg log msg 2>&1 | grep DTOK
001673.166: Kernel trailer DTOK property says yes

# Kernel device tree status: Enabled

Based on tip of OpenELEC master (5a883921, changelog) and tip of XBMC master (01e00046, changelog) with the following modifications: Build Highlights:
  1. Various updates
Build Details:
  1. OpenELEC:
    • projects/imx6/patches/kodi: remove unneeded patch (8356bb77)
    • mesa: update to mesa-10.5.2 (a8b07565)
    • busybox: enable sha1sum/sha256sum/sha512sum applets (16b1d555)
    • busybox: enable more applets/features (8ecaba8c)
    • projects/WeTek_Play: use neon-fp16 FPU optimizations (97783486)
    • kodi: move PR6090 out of projects folder (01ecfb0b)
    • kodi: add upstream patch (for testing) (5a883921)
  2. XBMC:
    • [Remote]Only log first connection attempt to avoid spamming the logs (PR:6824, 1 commit, 4 files changed)
  3. pvr.hts:
    • [debian packaging] disable LTO until gcc 4.9 issues are fixed (PR:20, 1 commit, 2 files changed)
  4. pvr.iptvsimple:
    • [droid] Fix extension library file name. (PR:11, 1 commit, 1 file changed)
  5. Additional commits/pull requests/changes not yet merged upstream:
  • 95(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi (Kodi 15.0) Part 112