New OpenELEC Isengard build #0401: RPi / RPi2
(Supercedes previous build)

Code:
# uname -a
Linux rpi512 3.19.3 #1 Wed Apr 1 21:03:17 BST 2015 armv6l GNU/Linux

# vcgencmd version
Mar 27 2015 18:48:55
Copyright (c) 2012 Broadcom
version b2109b1c1c8ae8717df455cfaf312a6c1801f45a (clean) (release)

# lsb_release
OpenELEC (Milhouse) - Version: devel-20150401210228-#0401-gbbd97b5 [Build #0401]

# vcdbg log msg 2>&1 | grep DTOK
001667.201: Kernel trailer DTOK property says yes

# Kernel device tree status: Enabled

Based on tip of OpenELEC master (bbd97b53, changelog) and tip of XBMC master (56af059d, changelog) with the following modifications: Build Highlights:
  1. Kodi 15.0 beta1
  2. Better fix for stuttering low-bitrate videos with dvdplayer - seems to work well (link)
    popcornmix Wrote:I've removed the dropping hack. I think that was just trying to fix the symptoms, not the cause.

I've gone for a different approach. VC has quite a large input bufffer to codec (~1MB).
    For low bitrate videos like this (0.3Mbit/sec) you can stuff a lot of frames into that buffer (e.g. 30 seconds worth).

While that shouldn't be a problem, it seems dvdplayer doesn't handle this well. I've tried to limit video to half a second's worth.

I *think* it helps this clip (but as the failure is a bit random it's hard to be certain). Please test it.

I'm also a little concerned that if the count of how many frames are queued inside decoder is wrong we might stall.
    This could happen if a video frame from ffmpeg either produces no picture or more than one picture.

Ideally this shouldn't happen, but I'm a bit concerned about files with errors (e.g. from live tv), packed AVI files (which contain skipped frames and double P/B frames), interlaced video...

Also the more limited buffering in codec, could have a performance impact (I'd expect that even half a second is still plenty, but worth keeping an eye out for).
    popcornmix Wrote:The "limiting codec" patch should have a useful side effect.
    Previously the large codec buffer didn't get drained.
    dvdplayer only checks for decoded output frames when submitting a new frame, so on all platforms the last few frames never get displayed.
    With MMAL's large buffer that could be seconds of video not getting shown (at end of file, you may see a the video freeze a couple of seconds before the audio stops).
    That effect should be lessened now.
  3. Prioritise passthrough when also enabling "HDMI and Analogue":
    popcornmix Wrote:I'd seen a couple of bug reports where video doesn't play that turned out to be due to user enabling "HDMI and Analogue" and also passthrough.

There are a couple of ways of fixing this, but I've chosen to make passthrough take precedence, in this case.
    This will also apply if you enable "Analogue" and passthough. That seems to be the behaviour of other platforms.

A user may deliberately choose those settings if they want to use a receiver for (dts/ac3) movies, but use the TV directly for lower quality audio.
Build Details:
  1. OpenELEC:
    • remove create_installsrtick* / create_sdcard (PR:3878, 1 commit, 24 files changed)
  2. XBMC:
    • bump to 15.0 beta1 (PR:6856, 1 commit, 1 file changed)
    • Remove lib/enca/ (PR:6802, 1 commit, 460 files changed)
    • [AudioCodecFFMPEG] - disable drc in audio codec context when (PR:6820, 2 commits, 3 files changed)
    • [curl] use better method to stat shoutcast and friends (PR:6408, 1 commit, 1 file changed)
    • do not enable remote control on initialize, respect app params (PR:6855, 1 commit, 1 file changed)
    • ALSA: implement device change event (PR:5982, 5 commits, 10 files changed)
    • [video] select proper bookmark item based on current playtime (PR:6812, 10 commits, 4 files changed)
    • [configure] add option to disable lirc (PR:6783, 1 commit, 2 files changed)
    • [gui] reduce code duplication for mass dialog close (PR:6848, 4 commits, 6 files changed)
    • [settings] allow hide watched toggling in files node (PR:6785, 1 commit, 1 file changed)
    • [daap] remove daap support (PR:6794, 1 commit, 65 files changed)
    • musicdb: cleanup detection of Singles (PR:6810, 9 commits, 19 files changed)
    • [replaytv] remove replaytv support (PR:6798, 1 commit, 45 files changed)
    • [replaytv] minor cleanup after pull/6798 (PR:6859, 1 commit, 1 file changed)
    • [pvr] Sync a bunch of addons with PVR API 1.9.6 (PR:6857, 1 commit, 9 files changed)
    • [pvr.dvbviewer] Bump to kodi-pvr/pvr.dvbviewer@bd2c01f (PR:6826, 1 commit, 1 file changed)
  3. newclock4:
    • New commits in this build:
      • [mmalrenderer] Add SetCodecControl function and prefer to return pictures when renderer is low (disabled) (4c104943)
      • [mmalcodec] Limit submitted video frames. Seems to avoid stutter issues with low bitrate videos (9db113e0)
      • dvdplayer: do not bail out if av_find_stream_info fails for mpegts (e3177e6f)
      • [rbp] Disable analogue output of sync when passthrough is enabled (db451fbf)
    • Commits no longer in build:
      • [mmalrenderer] Add SetCodecControl function and prefer to return pictures when renderer is low (f1342e75)
      • [mmalrenderer] Avoid dropping frames when requested. May cause stutter on youtube (c7757295)
  4. kernel 3.19.y:
    • New commits in this build:
      • Revert "serial/amba-pl011: Leave the TX IRQ alone when the UART is not open" (eb8ffae1)
      • serial/amba-pl011: Refactor and simplify TX FIFO handling (2c4959b7)
  5. Additional commits/pull requests/changes not yet merged upstream:
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.

Messages In This Thread
Missing splash video - by Dinos52 - 2015-02-09, 21:02
MVC Support - by woronczak - 2015-03-12, 05:28
RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi (Kodi 15.0) - by Milhouse - 2015-04-02, 00:07
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi (Kodi 15.0) Part 112