Want to run a headless Server....suggestions
OK, so I have recently setup an Unraid server to host my XBMC stuff on. I setup Sickbeard, Couchpotato, SABnzbd, and MySQL. My biggest problem is that I don't know what I am doing when it comes to Linux. The other day I had to move my server and when I booted it up again, I have had all sorts of issues with these plugins. Had to reconfigure SAB and MySQL wasn't connecting to the database. I am having permission issues with directories. So I am asking myself if there is a better way. I am a windows user and I have no experience with Linux. I am thinking that I might be over my head with this setup and if anything goes wrong, it will take me days to figure it out. So, I am asking for some advice. What else can I setup instead. It needs to be headless as I have it setup on a small shelf. I have two raid disks, a parity disk and a cache disk setup in unraid right now. I just built this system so it is all very current hardware. I am hoping the community has some suggestions. Thanks.
What version of unraid are you using? When you setup your Unraid, did you use the pkg manager in unmenu? If so, did you Click Enable Re-Install on Re-Boot for each one you did? That would have probably saved you the issues.
I am running unraid 5. I did install unmenu and I installed mysql through unmenu. I installed phaze plugins for couchpotato, sickbeard and finally sab as I had problems with the plugins that the tutorials recommended. I have them to Enable and Re-install on re-boot. However, when I had to shut down my system to move it, I didn't know that there was a special way to shut down and I just tried stopping the array and it couldn't because the services were running. At this point I didn't know what to do. So I shut it down manually. When I turned it back on is when I had issues. So I started to think that if my system goes down again I will be in big trouble.
You might (not sure if still needed in v 5) need to install the clean powerdown script in pkg manager, and then you can use the power button in unmenu under user scripts to shut down. Shut down can take some time. I have 2 unraids using version 4.7. My 4 disk unraid will take about 3 minutes to shut down, my 12 disk unraid takes over 5 minutes to fully shut down.

I have been using unraid for about 4 years now with minimal issues. Mostly self inflicted like your issue. Prior to unraid, I was using a 5 disk nas that was nothing but trouble.

I would recommend you get a battery backup and set it up in unmenu just in case of power outages.
I did install clean powerdown script using unmenu after all this issues I did use it and rebooted when I had to install SAB again and then mysql wasn't connecting. I think I finally figured that out last night. I am really worried that I am going to have issues and I will not be able to fix them quickly.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Want to run a headless Server....suggestions0