[RELEASE] NetfliXBMC - Unofficial Netflix Add-on (Win/OSX/Linux) - Thread 2
(2015-01-29, 01:59)corona Wrote:
(2015-01-29, 01:50)edwardcode Wrote:
(2015-01-29, 00:55)corona Wrote: You may struggle to get this to work at all without a window manager, I feel it may be a bit luck of the draw whether chrome will display on top of kodi or not. There's no harm in trying though.
You shouldn't have to configure anything as such, just make sure chrome is installed, then the plugin in kodi and put in user/pass. When you go to a show it'll try to launch chrome and just wait and see what happens. If you can't see anything chekc from ssh if chrome is running, if so and you can't see it you'll probably need a window manager.

When I installed the chrome launcher it opened in only half of the screen and it was not accepting input from my keyboard and mouse. The keyboard and mouse was still controlling kodi.

I am all for using a window manager, my only problem is I do not know how to properly implement a window manager into my minimalist xbmc (kodi) installation. Does kodi need to also start in a window manager, so the manager can manage both kodi and chrome? Either way, would you recommend Open box as the window manager? If not, what would you recommend?

I really appreciate all of the help.

Thanks.

Ah yes, controlling where the input goes and window resizing are both definitely wm tasks.

I used to self-manage a wm on my system with ~.xinitrc, by memory I started my app first (mythfrontend &) and then started the wm, which would be blocking.
As such you should be able to start the wm yourself after kodi, possibly even use a chrome launcher script to start a wm and chrome, tie them together such the the wm shuts down when the script finished. The chrome launcher plugin has an option to start a script rather than chrome directly, just make sure you pass all the arguments through to chrome.

I used a few different light weight wm's in my time, fluxbox, ratpoison, etc. I used fvwm for the longest, until my latest system install where I'm just using linux mint instead with cinnamon/mate built in wm's. For your use case it probably wont matter which wm you use, pretty much any of them should work. It's easy to try a couple of different ones anyway.

I'd suggest even just running the system how you have it now, with chrome half visible and non-controllable, then start a wm from ssh and see if that makes it all work (may need to alt-tab or similar to app switch once it's started up). Try a couple that way, see what works, then script it up.

If you can't be bothered with the chrome launcher script and/or don't mind a wm running full time, you can just start one from ~/.xinitrc as such: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/xinitrc

OK I think I am getting closer to understanding this. I think my problem lies in my X configuration/setup. Let ms give you a little more information about my setup. I installed Ubuntu. 14.04 server. Then I installed xorg and xbmc. After I did that I created a script in /etc/init/xbmc that basically runs 'exec su - -c " xinit /user/bin/xbmc --standalone" <username>'. Ignore the single quotes. I could not use startx because it did not work for me. I was not sure why, but xinit worked, so I did not pursue it. An other odd thing I noticed is that xbmc starts up in tty2 or 'alt + Ctrl + F2' instead of F7. When I run fluxbox it will start up in tty7 or 'alt + Ctrl + F7' like it should, but will not pull in my xbmc session. Also an other thing to note, with my xbmc running I can not start up fluxbox with xinit. It says, server is already achieve for display 0. So I have to use startx. Based on this info do you have any idea what I am doing wrong?

Once again thanks for helping me with this issue.

Messages In This Thread
Who's Watching is empty? - by RiverBend - 2015-01-08, 18:55
RE: [RELEASE] NetfliXBMC - Unofficial Netflix Add-on (Win/OSX/Linux) - Thread 2 - by edwardcode - 2015-01-29, 03:30
Full-screen mode - by oakertood - 2015-03-29, 01:08
25% - by Mattlock - 2015-07-06, 03:56
Additional/Original Browser Option? - by durv - 2015-09-07, 05:07
[RELEASE] NetfliXBMC - EMPTY LISTS - by Nibar - 2015-12-08, 03:38
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] NetfliXBMC - Unofficial Netflix Add-on (Win/OSX/Linux) - Thread 217