Latest HDHomerun/TVHeadend + OpenELEC Tutorial
Hi!

Posted this in the OpenELEC forums and got crickets, so I figured I'd try over here. Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

Begin Message:

Been poking around for an up-to-date tutorial on an OpenELEC/HDHomerun/TVHeadend setup. From what I can tell, some things may have changed lately (the wiki may be slightly stale). So for clarity I'll detail my proposed setup and ask few questions.

SETUP:

HTPC 1: ZBOX ND-22 (Oldie but goodie) running OE 5.0 RC3 (will of course update to stable when released)
New HTPC 2: Chromebox M004u (Setup via Matt Devo's awesome script) running OE 5.0 RC3

Planning to incorporate a HDHomerun HDHR3-US + TVHeadend connected to a Verizon FIOS Local TV Package

Questions:

1. Are both the HDHomerun driver add-on AND the TVHeadend backend add-on required to this to work? I'm hearing that with the latest version of OE, this may no longer be the case.
(1a: When using a Windows environment, the HDHomerun setup software allows you update the device's firmware. Is there an accessible way to update the firmware of the HDHomerun without a Desktop PC....i.e. Inside OpenELEC?)

2. Which HTPC should be preferred to install the HDHomerun driver add-on (if required) AND the TVHeadend backend add-on? Their stats are somewhat comparable (Intel CULV SU2300 w/ Nvidia ION1 vs Intel Celeron 2955U w/ Intel HD) , but the Chromebox is a bit newer. I assume the TVHeadend backend add-on needs a little horsepower to run. Both systems have 4GB RAM.

3. Is the packed-in TVHeadend backend add-on the latest and greatest? I'm hearing that transcoding is being incorporated, though not sure either one of my HTPC's could handle a load like that. There is quite a bit 1080i content via the FIOS Local TV package. I'm hoping the ZBOX and Chromebox is up to the task. But wondering if transcoding via TVHeadend is something I should be considering.

4. Currently have a subscription to Schedules Direct. My understanding is TVHeadend supports it, but not sure how. My searching has come up a bit thin (something to do with XMLTV which I don't currently use). Any information would be great.

5. Is there anything else I should be considering?

Many Thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Latest HDHomerun/TVHeadend + OpenELEC Tutorial0