Solved - Video resolution affects the supported encoded audio formats
Lightbulb 
All,

I thought that I would share my experience so that it may save some time for others, should they find themselves with this challenge...

After saving my Userdata subdirectory, I did a clean upgrade to Win 8.1 this weekend on two systems.

As things were rolling along, I noticed that my video / audio card did not display DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD on one system, while the other (with different equipment) worked fine

The solution was ensuring that the TV displayed the maximum resolution ... which made the higher audio capabilities appear.

Now, you would think that would not have an effect, but it does. So if you find yourself baffled, you may want to check that.

Here's the details of what I found:

My configuration:

TV - LG 50PK750-UA (software 06.03.00)

Receiver - OnkyoTX-NR616

Graphics Card - NVidia GeForce GT 610 silent

NVidia Graphics Driver - 344.75

NVidia High Definition Audio Driver 1.3.32.1

OS - Win 8.1

Motherboard - ZOTAC GF9300-G-E

Disk - SSD, 60GB

Challenge

In Win 7, the NVidia GT 610 worked great, displaying all the supported encoded formats (DTS Audio, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Digital, DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD.

However, in doing a Win 7 to 8.1 upgrade, the GT 610 lost the DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD capability.

Thinking it was negatively affected by the 7 to 8.1 upgrade, I did a complete wipe of the system and a new installation (including a repartition of the disk to ensure all previous config files were gone).

Still no DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD displayed in the sound configuration for this card.

All these new variables! Was it:

* Win 8.1 not recognizing the video card correctly?
* Was it the NVidia driver?
* Was my card damaged during the upgrade?
* Did 8.1 not want to play with the Onkyo system?

So many potential points of impact. Confused

While using Google to hunt for a solution, I went down a lot of dead-ends (HDMI handshake INF files, older versions of the NVidia driver, flashing the amp firmware...)

Here's where I stumbled across the solution to the problem:

While doing the installation and re-installation of the system, I noticed that in the NVidia configuration that the NVidia Config displayed the TV as "PC 1080", rather than "1080p"

And the TV is native 1080p

I found this an annoyance, but was used to making a manual correction.

Usually on this system, under win 7, when I would load a new NVidia driver, I would have to readjust the display to make sure that the scanning kept the image completely on the screen (requiring me to shrink the picture a bit).

I thought that it was a "feature" of the card... or maybe the amp...

SOLVED:

In the menu of the TV, changed the resolution of the TV to "Just Scan" instead of "1080p". ("Just Scan" does a 1-to-1 pixel mapping - http://www.lg.com/in/support/product-hel...1-en-LGEIL ).

SUDDENLY... I didn't have to adjust the size of the picture, and the output correctly filled the complete screen.

Once that was configured correctly, I checked audio, and all the various encoded formats supported by the NVidia were there!

So, screen resolution affects audio output.. The correct higher resolution will display the higher audio capabilities in the Nvidia / 8.1 configuration.

Go figure, eh?

Now my screen displays 1080p / 24, and my audio cranks out DTS-HD.

Time to watch a good action flick! Nod

V.
Can I just say thank you!! I have been attempting to get dts-hd ma for months and hour after hour I tried everything ... then to see your post from a year ago and it works!!! I am so happy and it was so easy hahaha.
Thank you
Om my God! I've been struggling with this for weeks! When my Onko TX-NR626 was turned off I had all the DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD active under the "NVIDIA High Definition Audio" Properties. However every time I switched the Onko on all the Dolby and DTS formats immediately would disappear from the Propertis. What I did, after reading your suggestion, was changing in Onkyo TX-NR626 the output resolution on HDMI from Auto to 1080p and it works!!!

Thanks a lot!
(2016-06-07, 08:28)topjes Wrote: Om my God! I've been struggling with this for weeks! When my Onko TX-NR626 was turned off I had all the DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD active under the "NVIDIA High Definition Audio" Properties. However every time I switched the Onko on all the Dolby and DTS formats immediately would disappear from the Propertis. What I did, after reading your suggestion, was changing in Onkyo TX-NR626 the output resolution on HDMI from Auto to 1080p and it works!!!

Thanks a lot!

You are lucky. I am still trying to get this to work. I can get a 1080p picture when connected from the HTPC to the amp and from the amp to the TV with HDMI, but the playback devices windows states my amp is not plugged in.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Solved - Video resolution affects the supported encoded audio formats0