KODI useless on large music libraries
Hi guys,

first of all a big "thank you very much" for creating and still developing KODI aka XBMC!

This nice peace of software worked fine for me, till i tried to give my music library in KODIs hands.
I have a very big music library, filled with tons of CDs and stuff from jamendo - all in all about 40k+ files.
Scrapers worked fine for many files, missing information is acceptable.

But the mess began, as i tried to use KODI (my first attempt was with XBMC 13.x) as a music player for this large collection. Obviously KODI should need a minute to collect all neccessary information from the database "(it needs round about 1 minute on my Raspberry Pi, same time on my Amazon FireTV with SPMC and round about 20 secs on my Win-Laptop). Collection the stuff and rendering is a time consuming process and during my search i already found some threads regarding this issue.

But as soon as i start to play a song, i got surprised: KODI crashed, needed more then 10 minutes or did nothing to play a simple MP3 from the shown list!
Just on the Windowsinstallation all worked fine (all devices had a fresh install and this behaviour was already present in the 13.x-stream).

The minute to collect all items is fine for me, but the process to start a song from the list should be done in microseconds!

Unfortunately i haven´t found a thread regarding this problem, so i have to think, that just me is using KODI as a MP3-player on the Pi or other "small" devices.
But i guess, that you should take a deep look inside your code, because this behaviour seems totaly senseless: there should no calculation, no memory clean up or whatever. Just a request on the database for path and file and a final "go" to the player (ffmpeg?).

I am neither a developer nor an expert in computers or even bug reporting.
So just give me a hint, what i have to do, to help you solving this issue. I already took a look inside the "log"-folder, but there is a ton of them and i do not know, which information you realy need to examine this mess.

Some detailed technical information:
device: Pi with XBMX and KODI, FireTV with SPMC
database: local and MySQL
behaviour: isn´t clear: sometimes crashes, sometimes do nothing, sometimes work after many minutes. Mostly system "freezes" for the user

If i start the MP3 from the "file" section, all works fine, all "database" actions fail.

From my side, it looks like a problem with the length of the list, because the time between starting and playing the selected MP3 grows with the size of the indexed files (size of list eg number of indexed songs) inside the database. It is not a problem of the database itself, because local and remote databases have the same issue.

I hope, that any of the devs can confirm this behaviour.

Thx a lot and happy new year Wink
debug log (wiki)

Try a build with some sort of crash log functionality. No idea what Pi distribution you're using, but if it's OpenELEC, try the latest build from here (or if you only want to test Helix, try the last build from here). Install it, and if Kodi still crashes upload /storage/.kodi/temp/kodi_crashlog.log to pastebin.com
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Firstly I would not recommend EVER using a large Music or Video library and getting the RPi to do all the Metadata scraping.

Its RAM limited and the SD card write performance is poor. It will be dreadfully slow both while scraping, navigating a large library and then starting playback. You cannot expect miracles.
You have to use an external media manager to scrape and store metadata externally.
You will need to Max Overclock the RPi too.

Its a known issue, you either work around it or get another media playback box with more RAM, a SSD or HDD.

This post is relevant:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1875826

Read this too:
http://kodi.wiki/view/Raspberry_Pi#Maxim...erformance

Mysql and upnp works very well - even with very large libraries.
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
It takes my Pi 24+ hours to scan my music library(125000+ files), no crashes.
Many thanks for your quick replies!

But obviously i was doing it wrong describing my problem, so i will give it a new attempt (hey, was very late this morning ;-) ).
The problem isn´t navigating or scraping the data, the only problem is the lag between pressing the "play this song" button and the beginning of the music.

I tried it on 3 different systems with the following result:
KODI and XBMC on Win-7-Notebook (WLAN)
Entering "Music -> Songs" 40 seconds delay till list is displayed
Starting the first song: 40 seconds delay till the song is played

KODI and XBMC on RPi with OpenELEC (LAN)
Entering "Music -> Songs" 60 seconds delay till list is displayed
Starting the first song: device seems to freeze. even 30 minutes later the song will not played by KODI

SPMC on FireTV (Gotham iirc) (WLAN)
Starting the first song: device seems to freeze. even 30 minutes later the song will not played by SPMC

There is a central MySQL-DB which is used by the installations.
The crash is not reproducable (but i just wait 30 minutes before i take down the devices).

So my question is for the big delay even on the Windows-Notebook? If i start a song, it should played imideatly instead with a delay of 40 seconds.
Again: scraping time and slow navigation is fine (hey, it is a Pi on a large Database!). Just the strange delay eg "freeze" ins´t what anybody should expect if he plays a song.

I would prefer to not install the suggestet latest build from you, milhouse (because DB-version switched again), but if you like so, i would do it for sure. Just give me a quick reply. Then i will also deliver the Log you need (but without crash, just with "freeze").
(2015-01-01, 12:49)Starscream Wrote: I tried it on 3 different systems with the following result:
KODI and XBMC on Win-7-Notebook (WLAN)
Entering "Music -> Songs" 40 seconds delay till list is displayed
Starting the first song: 40 seconds delay till the song is played

KODI and XBMC on RPi with OpenELEC (LAN)
Starting the first song: device seems to freeze. even 30 minutes later the song will not played by KODI

SPMC on FireTV (Gotham iirc) (WLAN)
Starting the first song: device seems to freeze. even 30 minutes later the song will not played by SPMC

Sounds like the problem you are seeing is not Pi specific. You'll get a better response in a general thread where more devs will see it.
MODS - can this thread be moved?
(2015-01-01, 12:49)Starscream Wrote: I would prefer to not install the suggestet latest build from you, milhouse (because DB-version switched again), but if you like so, i would do it for sure. Just give me a quick reply. Then i will also deliver the Log you need (but without crash, just with "freeze").

Then use the Helix build I suggested, although as this isn't Pi specific you should probably focus on the more powerful Windows hardware which also has this problem when trying to identify the cause.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
ok, here we go.
I tried on Win7 and got the following log-entries if i try to start a song:

Quote:13:03:03 T:1780 DEBUG: ------ Window Init () ------
13:03:12 T:3432 DEBUG: Thread RemoteControl 3432 terminating
13:04:02 T:1780 DEBUG: CAnnouncementManager - Announcement: OnScreensaverDeactivated from xbmc
13:04:02 T:1780 DEBUG: GOT ANNOUNCEMENT, type: 4, from xbmc, message OnScreensaverDeactivated
13:04:02 T:1780 DEBUG: ------ Window Init (Pointer.xml) ------
13:04:02 T:1980 NOTICE: Thread JobWorker start, auto delete: true
13:04:03 T:1780 DEBUG: ------ Window Deinit () ------
13:04:03 T:1780 DEBUG: CApplication:TonguerocessMouse: trying mouse action leftclick
13:04:03 T:1780 DEBUG: SELECT albumview.*,albumartistview.* FROM albumview LEFT JOIN albumartistview ON albumview.idAlbum = albumartistview.idAlbum WHERE

albumview.idAlbum = 5 ORDER BY albumartistview.iOrder
13:04:27 T:1780 DEBUG: CAnnouncementManager - Announcement: OnAdd from xbmc
13:04:28 T:1780 DEBUG: GOT ANNOUNCEMENT, type: 2, from xbmc, message OnAdd
13:04:28 T:1780 DEBUG: CAnnouncementManager - Announcement: OnAdd from xbmc

I killed KODI after a while, log was already > 1 MB in size, still growing and just repeating this 2 lines ("CAnnouncementManager" and "GOT ANNOUNCEMENT").

Will this help or do you need the whole log?

[Edit]
Additional information.
I tried it with "Music -> Artist" and choosed an artist with some songs (round about 100) and it looks like, that for each entry in the songlist this both message lines are created if you start to play 1 song. Which means, that if you have 40k+ songs in your library, this action will take place more then 40.000 times (which could consume some time).
I made a x-reference with my movie library and there is just one of this messages, regardless how many entries in the list.

Looks (hopefully) like a little bug to me.
Is there something more i can do?
I think this needs to be seen by more devs.

MODS - can this thread be moved?
Would be great if somebody could move this thread to the right chapter.
It looks like that there is too much activity inside the forum, so the mods arent aware of the request to move this thread.
Maybe i should open a new one in another board?

Which board would fit the needs best?
(2015-01-04, 11:15)Starscream Wrote: Which board would fit the needs best?

I'd suggest "general help and support".
THX a lot, i will do so.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
KODI useless on large music libraries0