• 2(current)
WIP Experimental simple deinterlacing
Hi,

i just made a short test with the last testbuild on my himedia Q10ii.
The result for tested H264. 1080i video with mediacodec and BOB-deinterlacing is a big step forward !! Great job ! Please go on, Koying Big Grin

I have 2 questions:
first: for SD-video BOB-Deinterlacing is not available (onl auto or software blend). Do you plan to implement it as well or can i force it by adapting advancedsettings.xml (libstagefrigth/ mediacodec) ?
second: do you plan to implement this feature in your SPMC as well ?

Thanks!

SaEt9000
Friends, I can't see an improvement yet, but I guess this is due to the fact that I need to make specific settings? What do I need to change? Thanks in advance. This sounds really promising and I can't wait to test again!
From another thread:
(2013-07-20, 11:16)FernetMenta Wrote: We store settings for channels and movies in a database if those differ from the defaults. When you play a channel and it has individual settings stored, those are taken.

This doesn't seem to be the case with this build. As long as I switch between 1080i channels, for which I've set deinterlacing to 'On', the setting remains 'On'.
If I switch to a 720p channel and then back to the 1080i channel, deinterlacing is set to 'Off' and I have to turn it back on manually.

@hello1893: you have to turn on deinterlacing manually in the channel settings
(2015-01-10, 17:52)SaEt9000 Wrote: first: for SD-video BOB-Deinterlacing is not available (onl auto or software blend).

Actually it is available for SD channels too, but it seems like the BOB setting can get 'lost'. The same happened to me with an HD channel. I had to restart kodi to make it work again.
SD MP4 videos are not h/w accelerated, so use the standard ffmpeg deinterlace method.
(2015-01-10, 21:23)Koying Wrote: SD MP4 videos are not h/w accelerated, so use the standard ffmpeg deinterlace method.

How is this determined? Is it possible that european SD channels (720x576) are treated as HD, while us channels (720x480) are treated as SD?
I'm asking because I have BOB available for all SD channels.

EDIT:
I missed the mp4 part. Thought you were talking about live tv SD channels, which are obviously mpeg2 and not mp4...
Tried bob deinterlacing and things go much better. Still not like 50p but acceptable quality. Like others said, now the problem is sd (for us in europe pal 720x576), because at least in my config is not possible to force hw accel. Thank you,
sdf
Yes, that is what i meant.
I do not use live TV, but my SD-video is always mpeg2 PAL.

SaEt9000
Got it! It's terrific. Thank you @weak for explaining. Special Thanks, of course, to @Koying for making this happen. All my HD materials now look beautiful (personally I try to avoid recording/watching anything in SD).

Is it right to assume, that this feature will make it into a final official Kodi release one day?
For those around not aware:

MediaCodec cannot h/w decode mpeg2 on Android < 5.0 even if the h/w decoder is available, due to an android bug, so you have to use libstagefright for your 1080i50 mpeg2's.
That is especially the case for AFTV, which does a poor job at deinterlacing on its own.
Yes watching the playoffs on MythTV, HD-PVR and Fire TV on this new build working perfectly BOB did the trick for deinterlacing.

Thank You
Hi Just found this forum. I have also had troubles but this has improved the TV quality. I use NPVR through a popcorn A100 but I am now trying the Open Hour Chameleon. Picture quality for TV not as good as A100 but this update has made a big difference and is getting closer.
Well done guys
Regards
Dave
so, i made some more tests now with libstagefrigth and mediacodec with h264-video (Deinterlace: BOB). The deinterlace-effect for 1080i video is with both amazing good.

BOB is unfortunately not available for mpeg2-SD video 720x576 (europeen PAL-Standard and DVD-Standard in europe) - available is only software blend. This video norm has 50 interlace frames.
And so is my question: is it possible to implement this feature for PAL- video as well? Or if I understand your last post right, koying, - is it possible to decode 576i mpeg2- video with libstagefrigth ? Then the new deinterlacer should be available too ?
My impression (and shown by the onscreen OSD, f.i in SPMC) is ,that for SD-video always the software-codec is used, whatever I had configurated for video acceleration.

SaEt9000
Well, not using interlaced material myself, but it looks to me that ffmpeg's deinterlacing is better, so I'm not sure it is worth implementing bob in this case.
Multiple opinions welcome.
I think this is the real problem of Kodi in Android. Most of the tv stations are here still 720x576 mpeg2 50i, When I say most I'm talking about 90%, So the problem (IMHO) is really relevant.
I'm on Android 5.0 and don't have hw accel neither on libstagefright nor mediacodec.
On linux there's no hw accel (pal mpeg2) too, but there are several deinterlacing methods (software) and when I use "deinterlace" (not "bob") picture is perfect like on my tv.
Now I think that on Android a quad core 2.5 Ghz should be capable of doing deinterlacing in software on that resolution.
Otherwise, if there's a method to force hw accel, but I don't know from a programmer's/technical point of view which are the difficulties.
All I can say, from user's perspective, is that sd pal deinterlacing on Android is by far the most important feature for us european pvr users.
Thank you,
sdf
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Experimental simple deinterlacing1