OS X Problem with SMB shares
Hi all.

Running:
Kodi Helix
Mac Mini OSX 10.10.2

My library is on a NAS using Samba shares to access by Ethernet connection.

Problem:
Earlier today I had a problem accessing any of the set up SMB shares to various Volumes storing my content like BluRay rips, etc.

After a lot of playing around I managed to get this running by Backing up the Configuration from Kodi loaded on my MacBook. However, both the MacBook I took the Configuration backup from and the Mac Mini are unable to set up new shares via SMB.

I go into File>Add Video>Browse>Windows Network (SMB) and get the error: Error 2 Share Not Available.

Now, this is incorrect as I have access to files already stored on SMB shares so they are available and Kodi can play various video files and also will scan and find new content.

I have gone into Settings>Services and reset SMB but nothing seems to enable making new SMB shares.

Any ideas?
The method that has always worked best for me is to manually add the NAS.

Just go to Videos>Files>Add Videos. Select "Browse" and then "Add network location". In the popup window select the appropriate protocol, enter the IP in the name field (static IP required), the name of the root folder and user/password if needed. This will add the NAS to the list of available sources that you see when you click the "Browse" button for future additions. Once this location is added to the list you can just select it and browse to the folder containing your TV Shows, Blurays, etc.

Example-

I have an unRaid NAS. The IP is 10.0.1.20. The name of the share is Media. It doesn't use user/password. When I click "OK" a new location will appear in my list of network locations- "smb://10.0.1.20/Media". Since all my media is contained on this location I can just select it anytime I want to add new videos and then browse to the new folder.
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problem with SMB shares0