Bug KODI is too slow on huge lists of songs Part II
The problem I find with party mode hence why I don't use it is that songs are removed once played so it's not possible to skip back to one of the previously played tracks if say you stumble on a old favourite.
(2016-03-24, 10:22)DaveBlake Wrote: So again I ask is it reasonable to limit the number of songs that auto play next puts on the current play list?

If you decided to explore this further then I'd rather it wasn't a hardcoded limit but instead was user configurable. In fact if there was anyway you could generate a random playlist to fill a certain amount of time rather than number of items that would be brilliant, but that's probably an impossible dream, or at least too complicated to do easily.
(2016-03-24, 10:22)DaveBlake Wrote:
(2016-03-23, 21:52)NeroBoron Wrote: Usually I select a song from "all songs" because I want to hear this song now and then some random songs of my library. When I want to listen to another specific song during playback I ssearch and select it in "all songs" again.
I only use the other views when I want to listen to a specific genre/artist/album. Which only happens in 5% of the cases.

So you want to hear more than the one song you select, but other than the first selected one you don't care what is played? I would never have thought of that!

Yep i just select a song then some random Songs and then every 10~120mins I select a new song from that few that I want to listen to really badly Tongue in between just random songs, if I don't like it I just hit skip.

That's why I thought it wouldn't be bad if people explain his they use it, cause I guess there are many differences of usage. And I guess the usage of the OP and me is pretty similar so we ran into the same problems. Except for me it is just 5 seconds delay on song selection, because my library is way smaller.
(2016-03-23, 21:52)NeroBoron Wrote: I can canntell you how I use it:
Usually I select a song from "all songs" because I want to hear this song now and then some random songs of my library. When I want to listen to another specific song during playback I ssearch and select it in "all songs" again.

Never used party mode or something like that. Also searching the current playlist feels kinda pain in the ass because it is shuffled. So I use the same all songs view. BTW selecting another song during that playback clears the playlist and adds everything again. Not a problem but as mentioned earlier I guess the player could just jump to that song in my playlist again.

I also now there is the queue option, but it doesn't work correctly on shuffle if I remember correctly.

I only use the other views when I want to listen to a specific genre/artist/album. Which only happens in 5% of the cases.

Sounds a little bit like Pandora "stations". Pick a song and then you get a playlist with similar songs in it. There were some hooks put into party mode that would allow selection of "mood" music but aside from the hooks I don't think it got any closer to implementation.

scott s.
maintainer of skin  Aeon MQ5 mods for post-Gotham Kodi releases:
Matrix see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Matrix release thread
Nexus see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Nexus release thread
Aeon MQ 5 skin and addon repo 11.1.0
(2015-01-05, 00:43)Starscream Wrote: thanks for all!
I have 125k songs in my Kodi library running on a QNAP x86 server with 2Gb RAM. I never had any problems like you describe with exception of the time Kodi use to populate the complete list of every single song (which I never do, cause it's really no point in doing that). But how is your library organised? If you have 40k songs just thrown into a single folder, I can understand that Kodi must spend time finding its way every time you instruct it to do something. Is that the case ?
I organized it like this:
Music/ArtistName/AlbumName/Number - Songtitle.mp3

But can't imagine that this should be a problem.

... Neither I can imagine that writing the log file that often really results in that delay.
Specially not cause this shouldn't be logged with debug logging of or?

@scott:
That would be really nice to have and something i would actually use. Currently when I want to listen to a specific moods I play/queue different genres.
Back in time I used last.FM with the similar artists/style/genre stations to discover new music. Really great Smile
Sadly last.FM uses YouTube now on the website to play songs and the kodi add-on is broken since that change Sad
Hi all,

Trying to create a nice music player on a Raspberry Pi, but experiencing the same problem described here... adding songs to the playlist takes forever.
The only solution is to save the playlist and reopen them. But using Smart Playlists is no option.

Because it looks like this problem is not going to be solved any time, I was looking for an alternative.
Solutions as RuneAudio or Volumio are great, but they are all headless (remotely controlled by web interface). I'm in a situation the music must be controlled on the device (RPI) itself. As fas as I know it is not possible to install a GUI with a webbrowser also (Arch Linux)

I was hoping some of you have found, or do know, an alternative playing musing on a raspberry pi with all the beautiful options KODI has. Off course without the adding to playlist delay Wink
Something for Raspian Jessie is also good. But I could not find anything having the same options as KODI Music (Scan Music, Search by Artist, Genre, Title, Creating Smart Playlists... etc...)

Thank you
Not the best place to ask for an alternative to Kodi, really. I suggest you post a new thread somewhere else.

But I also have to wonder exactly what problem you are experiencing. There are actually several different "problems" discussed in this thread, or at least people wanting different things.

Quote:... adding songs to the playlist takes forever.

Generally this is not true. I play what I want to listen to on a RPi and it starts pretty quick (if my NAS drive is awake). I know that adding my entire large music collection, all the songs, to the playlist will be slow. Is that what you are experiencing?

The key feature of the music library is being able to carefully select what to play, so can you not do that? That is use Kodi to pick just a subset of songs to add to the playlist at a time. OK, some future time it would be nice to fix the slow songs node issue, and it is more than just debug messages slowing things I think, but meanwhile can you not work around this known issue? Do you have to have all your songs in the playlist?
(2016-03-24, 17:12)jjd-uk Wrote: The problem I find with party mode hence why I don't use it is that songs are removed once played so it's not possible to skip back to one of the previously played tracks if say you stumble on a old favourite.

I agree with this, the one thing missing for me in party mode is the ability to see and possibly replay a few songs back after they have been pushed off the top of the playlist
tkgafs: If you have a iOS device the the Kodi Music Remote app allows you to go back a play songs already played
(2016-10-16, 02:09)HomerJau Wrote: tkgafs: If you have a iOS device the the Kodi Music Remote app allows you to go back a play songs already played

Sorry I dont have an apple device, use a windows phone. How does it work though, does it remember the party playlist locally on the phone ?

you can easily go up and down a standard playlist but not a partymode one as the songs seem to be deleted when its finished and a new one is added to the bottom of the list.
I have been struggling with the same issue. I don't have a particularly large music collection, it's about 13,000 files. I have been trying every which way to play it in kodi and on the android box...scanning it to library, over home network via upnp, via plex server, played in ES file explorer, played in VLC...now trying it via a USB hard drive...kodi shits the bed almost every time I try and do an operation against the whole collection. Tried party mode, shit the bed again, I'm running out of options. Why is kodi so completely shitty at a large collection, or am I missing something? This reminds me of why I hated linux in the 90s.

Grumbling aside, I'm all ears for any tips on how to be able to simply play my entire collection at random without kodi totally dying every time. This seemed to be no problem on winamp or various PC programs...if kodi is supposed to be such an awesome media player, how come it isn't set up to incrementally handle these large operations? Couldn't the queuing and playing be broken into manageable pieces so that it can at least start to play through the collection while it does whatever processing it needs to in the background?

Hoping the plex addon will obviate this crippling limitation.
The issue you are having is the Whole Collection. There is an issue with the Database when trying to load large library's (which Dave is aware of).

The solution, create smaller play lists until the issue is fixed.
Use nodes or smart playlists to split things up for now.

I have 40,000+ tracks in my collection with no issues. I do like to filter down though through Artist or Genre nodes.
(2017-04-19, 20:09)ToddSexington Wrote: I have been struggling with the same issue....
...kodi shits the bed almost every time I try and do an operation against the whole collection. Tried party mode, shit the bed again, I'm running out of options. Why is kodi so completely shitty at a large collection, or am I missing something?
By "shits the bed" I guess you mean something unwanted and messy, but honestly a less poetic and more precise description of what happens would be more useful.

I can guess, as the other guys have, that you are experiencing the known problem that viewing the entire unfiltered songs node when there are lots of songs in your collection is very slow. But perhaps that is not what you are trying to complain about?

Quote:Grumbling aside, I'm all ears for any tips on how to be able to simply play my entire collection at random without kodi totally dying every time.
What you want is "party mode", it will do exactly what you ask. Search for that, there are plenty of posts that describe it.

Quote:This seemed to be no problem on winamp or various PC programs...if kodi is supposed to be such an awesome media player, how come it isn't set up to incrementally handle these large operations? Couldn't the queuing and playing be broken into manageable pieces so that it can at least start to play through the collection while it does whatever processing it needs to in the background?
Yes it could, but it requires some fundamental design changes that no volunteer has had the time, skills or interest to undertake yet. Users that want to queue their entire music collection, like they do on Winamp, find it a terrible flaw. On the other hand many users with large music collections are happy to select smaller subsets. I for one would never want to see a list of 130000 songs, it would be useless for me.

The slow songs node is not a database issue per se, but the design of how the data is handled once within Kodi. I don't know I was not there, but I would guess that the original design of how all the library items are loaded into local memory before display arisies from the video library. You are very unlikely to want to queue 130000 videos.

Quote:Hoping the plex addon will obviate this crippling limitation.
I don't think so. Try party mode, or as others have said use filtering by genre, artist or other smart playlist rules to select smaller subsets of your music.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
KODI is too slow on huge lists of songs Part II0