• 1(current)
Wetek Play
My Mac Mini 2011 with openelec (living room) just crashed. In my bedroom I have an ATV1 which is very slow.
I'm planning to sell my defect mac mini and buy two wetek's (http://kodi.wiki/view/WeTek_Play). I'm not interested in the satellite option, only watching 720p - 1080p movies, series and the spotlight addon.

What is the performance of the wetek in combination with the heavy skins like Aeon MQ5 Aeon Nox etc. Is the navigation good or is it stuttering?

I've already read this review: http://www.cnx-software.com/2014/08/16/r...-receiver/ but they didn't test any skins.

Or do you recommend another box under the € 175,-

Thanks
Mac Mini 2,3 | Openelec | Marantz SR-5006 | 2x Monitor Audio Radius 90 | REL T5 Subwoofer | Synology DS213 |
Zotac Zbox ID41 | Openelec | Marantz SR-5003 | 2x Mordaunt Short Genie

How much is a Chromebox in the Europe?
The Chromebox as stated above would be better:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-Chromebox-D...B00M0M827Y
ASUS CHROMEBOX (M004U) 2GB RAM 128GB M.2 SSD :: OpenELEC 5.0 RC2 x86_64
Thanks. But the chromebox doesn't have optical out...
Mac Mini 2,3 | Openelec | Marantz SR-5006 | 2x Monitor Audio Radius 90 | REL T5 Subwoofer | Synology DS213 |

The Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro II is used if you want Optical on the Chromebox.

The ATV1 you have has very likely slowed right down from too many add-ons running on it.
I guarantee do a spring clean and the thing will be back up to speed.
Its a common mistake trying to run everything on 256MB of RAM.
Try a lightweight Skin like Eminence and you will be happy again.

Good luck with that Android Box, it will not refresh rate switch properly like your ATV1 or the Mac Mini, so video will not be perfectly synced up to your TV. It has not 24Hz support and Kodi's interface is limited to 720p. Frankly your going backwards if you get this. Android Boxes in PAL TV standard countries just don't play nice.

Don't try and go for just a released Android box, you WILL end up a Firmware tester for the company.
Most of the Marketing and promises will be bullshit. Thats how these companies operate.

If you have your heart set on an Android box read this thread:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=213561

If you want Optical built into a box get a Zotac BI320. Very good value as well.
It will be far far superior to any Android box you care to look at.
Details here:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1871938

The wetek can run openelec on it - fairly successfully by all accounts. This handles display rate changing etc.
But no proof of true 23,976 output.
Chromebox... is not neither meet or fish, if you want to put a PC in your living room you can better choose VIVO PC VM40B for exemple.
I bought Wetek because of DVB tuner and price, and no headache just turn play and be Openelec official...
On Amazon Uk that Vivo box is £330.

I bought my Asus chromebox from Amazon US on a special offer and had it shipped to me here in the UK, paying import duties, for about £130.

As for Chromebox being neither meat nor fish, I have been very impressed at how it smoothly it runs Openelec and the quality of the video output. Once set up following the instructions here, it just works and I have spent no time troubleshooting it at all.
I don't know anything about the Wetek box, but have found all the other Android boxes I have looked at a pain in at least some dimension.

Tell us more about Openelec on the Wetek. I am a bit confused because their marketing points out a lot of things beside Openelec - does the box offer an option as to whether you boot to Openelec or another OS?
(2015-01-05, 17:13)malcolmbarr Wrote: On Amazon Uk that Vivo box is £330.

I bought my Asus chromebox from Amazon US on a special offer and had it shipped to me here in the UK, paying import duties, for about £130.

As for Chromebox being neither meat nor fish, I have been very impressed at how it smoothly it runs Openelec and the quality of the video output. Once set up following the instructions here, it just works and I have spent no time troubleshooting it at all.
I don't know anything about the Wetek box, but have found all the other Android boxes I have looked at a pain in at least some dimension.

Tell us more about Openelec on the Wetek. I am a bit confused because their marketing points out a lot of things beside Openelec - does the box offer an option as to whether you boot to Openelec or another OS?

You can boot it from an sd card - sd card inserted in wetek = openelec, pop it out and it runs android - there's an experimental android tv build too..

Mine has just been shipped today, so will hopefully have it on Wednesday, judging by the youtube videos i've seen and the proactive nature of their devs I'm hopeful (I like the idea of running tvheadend on android very much)
I boot from SD the openelec and at Flash i have Android 5.0.2 .... 90% of times on Openelec... 10% on android Big Grin
(2015-01-05, 17:45)Latinbull Wrote: I boot from SD the openelec and at Flash i have Android 5.0.2 .... 90% of times on Openelec... 10% on android Big Grin

ok and what about the heavy skins like Aeon MQ 5 / Nox? Is it still running smoothley?

@sjobbels

I am not sure if MQ 5 is available for Kodi Helix 14.0 yet? Aeon Nox running great without any issue.

http://kodi.wiki/view/Comparison_of_skin_features
I have Aeon now and i don't see any perform difference from others... (i tried 3 or 4 from available list).

BR
(2015-01-05, 18:05)sjobbels Wrote:
(2015-01-05, 17:45)Latinbull Wrote: I boot from SD the openelec and at Flash i have Android 5.0.2 .... 90% of times on Openelec... 10% on android Big Grin

ok and what about the heavy skins like Aeon MQ 5 / Nox? Is it still running smoothley?

Here is one video at their YouTube channel:

• 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Wetek Play4