• 14(current)
Wetek Play
(2015-10-22, 20:56)Diskotechjam Wrote: Hey everybody, I'm looking to update my android box and the Wetek hardware has really caught my attention (great reviews, pre-rooted, Openelec support). Before I purchase though, I have some questions about user experience and functionality, mainly in reference to the Live TV support.

In the past, I have used a HDhomerun device to send OTA channels across my network, but I have never run a tvheadend server, so my apologies if these questions are redundant.

With the Wetek play ATSC tuner would I be able to...
-Access an Epg
-Watch live tv simultaneously on multiple devices
-Set device to record a show in the future through the EPG (ie record an event that is playing tomorrow)
-Pause live TV
-I have seen that Wetek provides a basic IPTV service, how many of these channels are actually in English? and will I also be able to record from these sources?

The one concern that I have with the Wetek Play is the size of the internal storage (4GB). On the wetek forum they mention Link2SD as a possible work-around for this problem, but I am hesitant to rely on a 3rd party app. While I'm not a heavy gamer, the problem is there are some light Android games that I currently enjoy playing and I don't want be in a situation where I run out of space and I can't get anything to properly install. Can anyone speak to their experience with the link2sd app or this problem in general?

I'm kind of torn at the moment because I far prefer the specs for the Wetek core, but I really wanted to try out the tuner capabilities on the Wetek play, anyone know if Wetek plans on releasing an updated version of the play with better hardware specs?

I would love to add PseudoTV Live support for the Wetek and on-board tuner... but nojoy from Wetek... I've heard they don't have the best customer relations...
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?
Customer service was fantastic for me. There forum is pretty active too, with plenty of staff contributing. Take a look.
(2015-10-22, 21:56)tredman Wrote: Customer service was fantastic for me. There forum is pretty active too, with plenty of staff contributing. Take a look.

I'm speaking to my personal experience as both a developer and at one point a potential customer... No Wetek rep ever responded to multiple emails and posts, after their openelec announcement I read a number of unhappy user posting similar experiences. Its a shame, a year ago I was really interested in getting one and supporting their on-board tuner... If I had been you... maybe I would have had a more positive outcome.
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?
@Diskotechjam

No experience with the WeTek Play, but I can talk about TvHeadend server operating on OpenELEC with AMLogic/ODROID C1+ and RPi2 devices, even an ancient ATV1 as a server. The Play would be similar.

TvHeadend Server / Client in OpenELEC Kodi will allow you to:
- view Live TV with quality deinterlacing on AMLogic devices (Jarvis needed on RPi2 for quality software deinterlacing)
- view the OTA EPG easily.
- view TV on two Kodi TvHeadend clients simultaneously (dual tuner needed for differing channels), a third could also watch recordings.
- record two channels at once, and sometimes watch a third. Again dual tuner needed.
- Schedule Recordings. Kodi Jarvis on OpenELEC also now has some intelligent scheduling. I like this about Jarvis.
- Playback recorded material, provided you attach a high capacity external HDD and format this using ext2/4, a Linux compatible file system.
- Timeshifting of sorts works, but its buggy. You really need an Intel box and even then its not 100%. Its not like a well sorted commercial PVR.
I just record everything even if its Live and then just skip through commercials and catch up.

You need to run OpenELEC or Linux/Ubuntu for the TvHeadend Server. The server actually does not need a powerful CPU or much RAM, its very resource friendly running on OpenELEC or Linux.

Other options: (this is my setup)
Speedy ODROID C1+ (GigaE ethernet) + OpenELEC/TvHeadend server + dual tuner stick + attach a HDD (hide the lot behind TV, under cabinet) > feed that into a WeTek Core running Kodi Android or OpenELEC, TvHeadend clients. Excellent Hardware deinterlacing on AMlogic SoC's. Smile

W.

Hi,
Where in the USA can you purchase this machine.
Thanks
(2015-10-26, 07:58)figaro Wrote: Hi,
Where in the USA can you purchase this machine.
Thanks

In rickssatelliteusa.com you should be able to buy one Wetek there
you should be able to buy the OpenELEC Edition at http://webshop.openelec.tv/
greetings, Stephan

Black friday discounts on Openelec!!! https://t.co/BnV8jlqYPv
Living Room: TV LG OLED55C9PLA, Onkyo TX-NR808, Xbox One S, Nvidia Shield TV Pro (2019), PS3, Wii, Cambridge Audio Azur 640C, Wharfedale Diamond 9.4 / 9 CS / 9.1, Sub BK Gemini, Logitech 650 Remote
(2015-11-26, 11:33)onesolo Wrote: Black friday discounts on Openelec!!! https://t.co/BnV8jlqYPv

Thought long and hard about taking up on that discount but I just cannot get over the outdated dual core CPU and the fact that the Wetek Core (even if you don't need 4K), which will not be that much more expensive, is going to be released soon. Granted, I only need good 1080p streaming capabilities but I've read that Wetek OpenElec Editiion (Play) can be sluggish in menus -- something I don't want as I'm going to be using the Aeon Flux skin. Of course I could just buy a Minix box (Z64/X8-H Plus) but the Wetek support (especially if you are just using Kodi) is top-notch.
Digging up a slightly old thread I know, just wondering is there any news or hints toward an updated WeTek Play 2 model with newer CPU / 4k / H265 and Gigabit LAN ?
Yep, see here:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=255606

and here:

http://www.cnx-software.com/2016/01/09/w...n-ssd-bay/

sorry, fixed the CNX link
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge please click the 'Thumb Up - Like' button to show me your appreciation :)
For YouTube questions see the official thread here.
Thanks jmh2002, I am very interested in the WeTek boxes I think I can probably wait 2-3 months if it means a possibility of this new WeTek Play+ box being released. =)
It has been a long time, but Wetek released a new version of the WeTek OS 1.1.7

Like Wetek core, Wetek play now has the same dualboot feature

very cool Wetek!
Hi all, i'm trying to follow a youtube vid for setup of Wetek play on Openelec using tvheadend. There's a point in the video where the person puts in a frequency when adding a Mux. I have no idea what to enter here for Australian DVB-T stations nor what bandwidth option so select. Apologies if this is listed somewhere obvious, and many thanks to those that can point me in the right direction.

Cheers...
(2016-03-25, 03:33)xazos79 Wrote: Hi all, i'm trying to follow a youtube vid for setup of Wetek play on Openelec using tvheadend. There's a point in the video where the person puts in a frequency when adding a Mux. I have no idea what to enter here for Australian DVB-T stations nor what bandwidth option so select. Apologies if this is listed somewhere obvious, and many thanks to those that can point me in the right direction.

Cheers...

This site may - or may not - help : https://ozdigitaltv.com If you know the name of your local transmitter(s) it will help. I think Aus uses 7MHz rather than 8MHz DVB-T channels.
  • 14(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Wetek Play4