• 1(current)
HP Stream Mini - 2957U/2GB/32GB $180 inc Windows
Looks like the Zotac BI320 is no longer alone.

HP have announced the Stream Mini. Celeron 2957U, HDMI 1.4, Displayport 1.2, 802.11n + Bluetooth 4, 32GB M2.SSD, 2GB RAM (2xSODIMM sockets so hopefully one free), 4x USB3.0, GigE and Windows with Bing 8.1. It also includes a keyboard and mouse unlike the Chromebox apparently. Cost $180.

Assuming there are no BIOS funnies, this could be a neat Kodi box and Windows 8.1 with Bing support suggests no HDMI audio issues under Windows.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2864353/h...ni-pc.html
Looks neat. I hope I do get my Zotac B1320 though..Patiently waiting
The 32gB SSD is pretty small for Windows 8.1.
(2015-01-05, 18:45)Stereodude Wrote: The 32gB SSD is pretty small for Windows 8.1.

Yep - personally I wouldn't run Windows on it if I bought one, and would probably be running with an upgraded SSD if I did.

The Zotac BI320 has the advantage that the Windows model has an on-board 64GB SSD in addition to the 2.5" SATA slot (I'm not sure the barebones model has the SSD or a connector for one)
With WIMBoot (booting from a compressed image) on supported devices, of which this mini-PC is certainly one, the Windows install itself only consumes ~5GB of space. So actually 32GB is workable.

Still much more expensive than a chromebox. Really only an attractive option if you want windows.
Bought a 32G Asus small laptop with "Windows 8.1 with Bing ", plenty of memory available, plus the card slots and USB. It was only $149 in a Black Friday sale.

Windows 8.1 with Bing is essentially free, but it comes on devices with embedded systems, so you for most of these you can't change out the memory or replace the SSD. Probably no Ethernet port was well. Its a good deal though, I think you might see similar "NUC-alikes" for even less $$ soon.
(2015-01-05, 20:43)whitebelly Wrote: Bought a 32G Asus small laptop with "Windows 8.1 with Bing ", plenty of memory available, plus the card slots and USB. It was only $149 in a Black Friday sale.

Windows 8.1 with Bing is essentially free, but it comes on devices with embedded systems, so you for most of these you can't change out the memory or replace the SSD. Probably no Ethernet port was well. Its a good deal though, I think you might see similar "NUC-alikes" for even less $$ soon.

This device has Ethernet and changeable components. Same for the Zotac bi320 which also carries the same OS.
(2015-01-05, 20:35)rodalpho Wrote: Still much more expensive than a chromebox. Really only an attractive option if you want windows.
It's only $30 more than a Chromebox, includes a keyboard & mouse, and has a larger SSD. I must be missing something.
Looks like a chart between the 3 (and likely more to come) needs to be done to assist with the decision making. Who has the throne today? Who has the throne tomorrow?
Microsoft is aloowing OEMs to sell chaper devices with Windows 8.1 with bing by basically giving the OS away.
It's not "basically" free, windows with bing is totally free, and not restricted in any way other than that the OEM cannot change the default IE search engine from Bing.

Stereodude, at this price level $30 is a lot! Also, I got my Chromebox for $125, although those deals are no longer available.
(2015-01-05, 21:51)rodalpho Wrote: It's not "basically" free, windows with bing is totally free, and not restricted in any way other than that the OEM cannot change the default IE search engine from Bing.

Stereodude, at this price level $30 is a lot! Also, I got my Chromebox for $125, although those deals are no longer available.

I thought Windows with Bing was only being made available by MS to low-end devices, but in those cases it is cost-free. The only consumer limitation is that it comes with Bing as the default (but easily changed) search engine, but AIUI manufacturers can't ship it on just any PC.

(2015-01-05, 20:35)rodalpho Wrote: With WIMBoot (booting from a compressed image) on supported devices, of which this mini-PC is certainly one, the Windows install itself only consumes ~5GB of space. So actually 32GB is workable.

Still much more expensive than a chromebox. Really only an attractive option if you want windows.

Be interesting to see the price point it hits outside the US. Chromeboxes appear to be significantly cheaper in the US than elsewhere.
Agreed with the comment about them been cheeper in the us still looking for somthing better then a rpi for my living room
(2015-01-05, 20:53)gangstarrrrr Wrote: This device has Ethernet and changeable components. Same for the Zotac bi320 which also carries the same OS.

I do see that they both have Ethernet, thanks for pointing that out. As far as changeable components, that is only verified for the Pavilion mini, which is more expensive. I'd guess that one is using regular Windows 8.1. I am fairly certain the free 8.1 is only allowed on embedded systems, but I could be wrong.
Not a bad option. The fact it comes with windows is a plus if you decide to do more with it than just install openelec/kodi. Considering it comes with more onboard storage than a chromebox and windows for $30 extra I would bite.
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HP Stream Mini - 2957U/2GB/32GB $180 inc Windows1