Advancedsettings.xml
How do I put my Advancedsettings.xml file on my raspberry pi with kodi on it? I don't see any folder or map that is named 'userdata'

thx in advance
~pi/.kodi/userdata
Derek
Hi Derrek, thanks foor your reply. I read that, but how can I get into the map or transfer my xml file from my (windows 7) computer on to the kodi/userdata map. I mean when I take the SD card and put it in my card reader on the computer I don't see the map. When I try to reach the raspberry pi (with kodi on it), I don't see it either. Do I need some kind of transfer tool?

Anton
You'll only see the first partition in Windows, the Linux file system is on the second partition and can't be seen by Windows.

Depending on your OS distribution (OpenELEC, Raspbmc, XBian) you may be able to access the contents of the userdata folder using Samba.

In OpenELEC, open Windows File Explorer (NOT Internet Explorer) and enter the IP address of your Pi, eg. \\192.168.0.8 and you should see several folders. "Userdata" is the same as .kodi/userdata, and in this folder you can create your file "advancedsettings.xml" (be careful, filenames are case sensitive).
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Thank you Milhouse for your reply. I've downloaded Windows File Explorer but I cannot see where to type the Ip adress. I can reach the Pi through the network but I'm not able to open the two maps named 'Devices' and 'Pi'. So it is clear I've to go by the Ip adress. but how? ( i'm unfamilliar with Windows File Explorer)

Sorry I'm a rookie ;-) thanks for the help
You don't need to download it, it's built in to Windows.

Click the little yellow folder icon, or search for "Windows Explorer" in your Start menu.

Then in the address bar at the top enter the \\ipaddress of your Pi.

Here's a screenshot I found on the web... where it has \\192.168.1.92, enter the ip address of your Pi (prefixed with \\)

In Windows 8 it looks like this:

Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Thank you Millhouse for your reply. I'm gona try it! Sorry for the misinterpretation. I should be fine now. Thanks again!
Hmmm....I found the next bump. I'm prompted with user name and password ( pi and raspberry are not accepted). I can't seem to fix it with windows share manager. Did i overlook something?

best regards,
Anton
What distribution are you even using? OpenELEC? Raspbian? Xbian?

OpenELEC doesn't prompt for a username or password when a Windows PC connets to the Samba shares, so you're probably connecting to the wrong device (using wrong IP address), or you're using a different distribution entirely (not OpenELEC).
Hi Milhouse, sorry for my poor info. It's raspbmc-win32 that is installed on the Pi. I'm shure it's the richt IP adress. I can tell by the Mac adres in my router. When I type the I type the Ip adres in internet explorer I see the kodi page with the remote controle and the items in the library. (pretty neat). When I tape the Ip adres in the Windows File Explorer i get prompted. I'm overlooking somthing but I can find what.
No idea about Raspbmc and how it implements Samba, sorry, hopefully someone else can help you out.

Another method of getting the file on to Raspbmc would be FileZilla, which should allow you to transfer the file across. For Raspbmc, the username would be pi, and the password raspberry (I think).

Or as a last resort, use ssh and learn vi...
Thank you Milhouse for the patience and help. Well it's a challenge not a problem ;-). I'll keep tweaking and ill post my findings here! By the way I, I'm prompted with a domain password (because of the differnece between windows and Linux I suppose). I think I have to look for a way to hook up the Pi in my domain. Anyway, tomorrow is another tweaking day, thanks again.
Why would you be prompted for a domain password when connecting to a Pi that knows nothing about being in a Windows domain? I still think you're connecting to the wrong computer... you can get the IP address of the Pi from the System Info -> Network screen.
I think it has to do something to do with the difference between the pi (Linux) en windows 7. The smb protocol isn't suitable for this. From what I've read the last couple of hours, one should use SSH. (you were right about that!). Anyway I'm new to all this so I'll have to do a lot of reading to understand this. No worries, that's what tweaking is about, right? Thanks for your time and help. It's a challenge for me to figure this out.
Ssh is simply access to the commandline interface. Once you have ssh'd in you can edit files. If raspbmc has nano then it is an easy commandline editor.

You can also transfer files to an ssh server using scp (secure copy). Windows has winscp which is great for this.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Advancedsettings.xml0