Advancedsettings.xml
Thanks for the reply. I'm gona try to set up a ssh server client connection. First some reading though
I'm a ittle bit furter. When I type the IP adress (\\192.168.0.106 into the Windows File Explorer. I get prompted. for a user name and password. I figured out htese schould be 'pi' and then 'raspberry'. (without the quotes.
Then I log on the the pi seeing only shares namly pi and devices
I cannot see the user data map (I think because it is not shared).
When I try to reach it through ssh via putty I see the same to folders
Does anyone have a suggestion?
when you are ssh'd in please give us the output of

Code:
pwd
ls -a
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-01-11, 22:49)Skyefoxx Wrote: I'm a ittle bit furter. When I type the IP adress (\\192.168.0.106 into the Windows File Explorer. I get prompted. for a user name and password. I figured out htese schould be 'pi' and then 'raspberry'. (without the quotes.
Then I log on the the pi seeing only shares namly pi and devices
I cannot see the user data map (I think because it is not shared).
When I try to reach it through ssh via putty I see the same to folders
Does anyone have a suggestion?
If you've SSHed in, type "ls -lah". You should see a ".kodi" folder in there. Then you can "cd .kodi".

The "." in front of kodi means the folder is hidden.
and the -a means show all (including hidden), -l means a long listing, the -h means human readble file sizes.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
In Windows Explorer, one of the available folder options is to make hidden files/folders visible. If that is set then the .kodi folder should also be visible under the Windows share view.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Hello, I'm a bit further now. The user name and pasword i got prompted with, are pi and raspberry. I also managed to get a conection trough PuTTy. In both cases I can reach the pi. However I see only the two shares namely Pi and Devices. I don't see the user map where I wan't to put the anvancedsettings.xml in. Does anyone have an idea?
(2015-01-12, 19:06)Skyefoxx Wrote: Hello, I'm a bit further now. The user name and pasword i got prompted with, are pi and raspberry. I also managed to get a conection trough PuTTy. In both cases I can reach the pi. However I see only the two shares namely Pi and Devices. I don't see the user map where I wan't to put the anvancedsettings.xml in. Does anyone have an idea?
Using PuTTy, see posts 18 and 19 from nickr and me for your next steps.
(2015-01-12, 19:06)Skyefoxx Wrote: Hello, I'm a bit further now. The user name and pasword i got prompted with, are pi and raspberry. I also managed to get a conection trough PuTTy. In both cases I can reach the pi. However I see only the two shares namely Pi and Devices. I don't see the user map where I wan't to put the anvancedsettings.xml in. Does anyone have an idea?

Are you being deliberately obtuse? You have been given the answers.
Hi Nickr, Tanks for the reply. I didn't see my reply whenI looked back. I tought something went wrong, so I posted it again. Now I see them both. Sorry for that! I can imagine it looks strange, no offense however, just a mistake.
By the way I set 'show hidden files' in the mapoptions section of windows 7, but that didn't do the trick on the maps/files in kodi. Going to experiment with your replies. cheers, Anton
Update, I ran PutTTYand I managed to reach the kodi map with the info ("ls -lah". and "cd .kodi".) from Dough (thanks for that!). I believe I now have to assign a GET statment through Putty or a PUT statement through CMD (windows). I'm going to read post 18 and 19 as you suggested. I will let you now if I succeded ( and what the result is). Thank you all for your patience and your help! cheers!
You should really be using sftp in Filezilla, will make your life so much easier.

Install filezilla on windows pc
In the host box enter sftp://ip.of.rasp.pi and then same username:pass as with Putty, port 22 and click connect.
Go to the server tab at the top and enable "Force showing hidden files."
In the right pane, navigate to /home/pi/.kodi/userdata
Find the local location of your advancedsettings.xml file in the left pane and drag it to the userdata folder on the right.
Restart Kodi...
PROFIT!
(2015-01-12, 22:52)Skyefoxx Wrote: Update, I ran PutTTYand I managed to reach the kodi map with the info ("ls -lah". and "cd .kodi".) from Dough (thanks for that!). I believe I now have to assign a GET statment through Putty or a PUT statement through CMD (windows). I'm going to read post 18 and 19 as you suggested. I will let you now if I succeded ( and what the result is). Thank you all for your patience and your help! cheers!
No, now you need to use an editor to edit the file on the rasp system. nano is a good option.

Code:
nano advancedsettings.xml

Make the changes you want and then follow the on screen prompts to save and exit.
(2015-01-12, 22:52)Skyefoxx Wrote: Update, I ran PutTTYand I managed to reach the kodi map with the info ("ls -lah". and "cd .kodi".) from Dough (thanks for that!). I believe I now have to assign a GET statment through Putty or a PUT statement through CMD (windows). I'm going to read post 18 and 19 as you suggested. I will let you now if I succeded ( and what the result is). Thank you all for your patience and your help! cheers!
Now that you're in the .kodi folder you can do another "ls -lah" and you'll see the userdata folder. So you can "cd userdata". That's where you'll create the advancedsettings.xml file with "nano advancedsettings.xml". Type in what you want and "ctrl-x" to save (and "Y" to confirm).

If you're a computer novice (and it seems like you are, no offense) then installing filezilla (as per ActionA) or winscp would probably be easier for you than using ssh/PuTTy. Those programs have a drag and drop interface you can use. You can create your advancedsettings.xml file in notepad and drop it in the .kodi/userdata folder.
Wow, thank you all for your helpful comment. And yes, I'm a novice (so no offence taken ;-). I have experience with SQL, HTML and XML though, so this is a next step for me...

I will try the easy way and when it works I'll try the 'hard' way also. My goal is not only to get kodi working (by the transferring the xml file) but also to understand the command line codes. I think I'll try this in the weekend, but I will keep this post updated for other users who might benefit from it. Again thank you all, you're helpful and patient.
best regards,
Anton

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Advancedsettings.xml0