Win Plain skin cause AMD GPU usage to go 40-100% > artifacts
Exclamation 
Hi,

This is my first post. New to Kodi.
I tried Helix for the first time on my windows PC and bumped into an issue I thought.

My specs:
CPU: Intel i3 3225 @3.4ghz
MB:ASRock B75 PRO3-M
MEM: 8 GB DDR3 (2x4) dual channel@ 1600mhz
GPU: ATI Radeon HD5670 (MSI CYCLONE 1GB)

Upon scrolling, start stop movie and go thorugh list, I saw little skin corruptions like shown in below image.

Tried it on a different PC, but I saw the exact same result. The other PC is very similar compared to above specs.
Both PC's are Intel i3's with a dedicated AMD HD5750. This isn't that powerful for gaming, but should do the trick IMO.

I tried a different skin, and I noticed the fan got a lot louder. So I opened up AMD CCC to see what GPU was doing. 100% usage .. Sad
I found out that when the RSS feed is enabled, the GPU load is 40% or 100% (depending on skin) when I am not even touching the controls.
with RSS feed:

without RSS feed:

As can be visible, the GPU is at 100%. Tested with different skin too, confluence. This effect on GPU still visible, but less.

Tried getting logs, but I don't know what / how yet. (still a noob and learning fast)

Is the issue I describe a known issue?
Or what can I do about it. Do I need to change some settings?

[edit]
I see the middle picture is not shown anymore. (weird) but it had a similar image, but then with 100% GPU usage indication.

[edit2]
I edited the title of the thread. Seems RSS makes the problem I am having worse, but its only just that.
I just read it could be due to the Video Sync setting being set to always, instead of video only.
I will try that and report back if that did help. (tonight) Smile
nope, thats not it.
Set vSync to only during playback movies, FPS on screen is 80-120, but GPU usage is 50% doing nothing without RSS feed enabled... Sad
I am at a loss..

help?
The first image shows weird atrifacts in the skin.

Is the cause for that known?
Is the high GPU level linked to that or completely separate?

What information do you guys need?

I found this. Might be on the right track...
http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO_Submit_a_Proper_Bug_Report

I found this as well. Could this still be an AMD driver issue? Im using 14.11 beta on 1 system. and 14.12 on the other.. no difference.
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=143548
Testing this now. :")

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=213108
no joy. Sad

It seems like the GUI of Kodi is run through the 3D renderer system of the GPU. This results in a steady GPU usage of 45% using the std confluence, without RSS.

I'd like to know if this is normal behaviour for an AMD HD5750 or something else. (driver issue, bug, user error.) Smile
Guys,

What is this... Not that I am impatience.. but this is starting to feel like a monologue here.

Is anyone reading this?
I don't expect a full correct answer with problem solved in the first reply, but maybe some hints or pointers in the right direction would be welcome.
Probably video card driver. Try newer or older.
Or google if anyone else found a workable driver for this card.
Image [RELEASE] Metroid
Image [RELEASE] IrcChat
thanks,

I will roll back a number of versions. I'll report back in an hour or two.
Did some testing.

Also installed GPU-Z.

I conclude the GPU throttling up is due to moving parts of a skin. Like RSS ticker or other AA demanding stuff. With most skins gpu usage goes up to 30%, while some go all the way to 100%.
When I disable the ticker, gpu usage drops to 0 most of the time with most skins. Couple of em not and keep pushing the AMD card.

Tested this with various drivers, (13.9, 14.3, 14.11) and also rolled back to Gotham 13.2. But nothing changes the GPU usage. So I guess this is as it should be and would be considered as normal behavior.

Now, I think I have two problems.
1 - Artifacts on the skins overlays. Pretty random. But not acceptable.
2 - Personally I bought the HTPC specially so it is a silent as posible. The HD5750 Cyclone is very silent in normal windows usage. But with Kodi the GPU it is stressed apparently, when RSS is enabled. So now, when I start Kodi on the HTPC with RSS enabled, After 1 minute I can hear the fan whoosh way too loud... Sad This is unacceptable for me, as the htpc sits underneath the TV.

Are there any tips or tricks or other pieces of advice I can try to reduce gpu load?

Thanks
(2015-01-08, 00:47)edterbak Wrote: Are there any tips or tricks or other pieces of advice I can try to reduce gpu load?

Thanks

external,

The spike in GPU usage you are seeing is caused by something called 'Dirty regions'. This has been part of XBMC since at least Frodo. What happens is XBMC looks for changes on the screen, marks the area as 'dirty', and depending on the algorithm that is being used either re-renders the dirty region or the whole screen.

So what are your solutions to the problem?

- turn off 'dirty regions'. Downside is while GPU goes down, CPU goes up (it's what dirty regions was designed to help)
- change algorithm used by dirty regions. Default is re-render whole screen, although you can tell it to only render the changed parts. Downside was that there were issues for some people with using the non default algorithm, so you will need to play with options and see what works best for you.

Search the wiki for dirty regions for details and how to change settings.

Wyrm (AppTV)
If required a FULL debug log can now be submitted from the skin in settings->skin settings->support. Or follow instructions here if you can't access skin settings.

FAQ's located at :- http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:AppTV
Yep!

Thank you WYRM!!!! that was the hint I was looking for.

http://kodi.wiki/view/Dirty_regions

for me in windows 8.1, this file goes here:
C:\Users\"Username"\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata

This is my best working setting.

<advancedsettings>
<gui>
<algorithmdirtyregions>2</algorithmdirtyregions>
<nofliptimeout>0</nofliptimeout>
</gui>
</advancedsettings>

GPU usage has now dropped to 0 when doing nothing and go up to 30% when doing something... perfectly fine!
CPU doesnt come above 10 so... I say situation fixed! Smile

Thanks again wyrm!
HI,

I solved the corrupted in GUI as well.

Code:
2.11.3 restrictcapsmask
Windows only. A bitmask to prevent XBMC/Kodi from using detected texture capabilities of the GPU. This helps work around buggy hardware/drivers.
1: prevent the use of compressed textures (DXT1, DXT3, DXT5) 2: prevent the use of non-power-of-two dimensions for textures 4: prevent the use of compressed textures with non-power-of-two dimensions.
<restrictcapsmask>0</restrictcapsmask>

Using option 1 and 4 gets this corruption eliminated. 0 and 2 doesnt help.

Could anyone tell me what should be the better option and why? Smile
My guess is I should use option 4, as judging on the description this allows more compressed textures. .. But I am a noob.
THank you in advance.
The way i read it: If 1 works, then there is no need to use 4, as 4 is 1 and 2 combined.
Image [RELEASE] Metroid
Image [RELEASE] IrcChat
Hi MassIV, Thanks for the reply.

What I would like to know as well is which setting performs better? Does not allowing any compressed textures hamper performance of the heavier more advanced skins?

This is probably a more theoretical question anyway.
I do not notice a big difference to start with, so it might be a non discussion Smile
But my curious mind would like to know this as I want to tweak my system to the best possible setting Smile Ghehehe

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Plain skin cause AMD GPU usage to go 40-100% > artifacts0