Intel Compute Stick (Broadwell - Released 2015)
I hope new version will coming soon!

-----------------
housse samsung galaxy alpha
coque galaxy alpha
hdmi 1.4a but displayport 1.2 should get you 4k @60hz
Backend: Asrock N3150 with Ubuntu 22.04 Server with TvHeadend 
Living Room: Nvidia Shield with Kodi
Other Kodi Clients: Coreelec, Mibox, Windows
(2015-01-08, 12:10)glypto Wrote:
(2015-01-07, 22:36)barber76 Wrote: How to control this thing? No IR port... Plug bluetooth receiver to the only full-size USB port?

It has built-in Bluetooth, so bluetooth remote is an option.
HDMI CEC could be another option in case it does support it.

Or one of the many remote apps for use on a smartphone/tablet.
Another article...
http://www.cnet.com/products/intel-compute-stick/
AFTV (non-rooted + Kodi)
WD My Book Live NAS
(2015-01-08, 05:57)barber76 Wrote:
(2015-01-08, 02:24)tential Wrote: Think about it this way. If intel is releasing this now, Intel is encouraging others to do the same. Intel doesn't want to supply these things, they do things like this to show other vendors there is a market it for it, then let others take over. They're just waiting for the NUC and now the compute stick.

So I'm confident other vendors will eventually bring this about next year.

To show other vendors there is a market for it, Intel has to sell some sticks of their own - otherwise, how to demonstrate a demand?
For HTPC use, I'm their target audience, and I don't understand how should I use it. HDMI to TV, microUSB to charger, and then? I'm left with one full-size USB input and Wifi. And I need 1) remote control 2) free input for local media. At least. Given that its main selling point is being a PC, I may want to plug webcam there, too.
Remote -bluetooth or over IP (eg yatse).

Media, via wireless. Not ideal, but it will work.

However my main problem about this style device is that the cables are inevitably heavier than the device. I prefer my devices to anchor the cables, not vice versa.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-01-08, 05:57)barber76 Wrote:
(2015-01-08, 02:24)tential Wrote: Think about it this way. If intel is releasing this now, Intel is encouraging others to do the same. Intel doesn't want to supply these things, they do things like this to show other vendors there is a market it for it, then let others take over. They're just waiting for the NUC and now the compute stick.

So I'm confident other vendors will eventually bring this about next year.

To show other vendors there is a market for it, Intel has to sell some sticks of their own - otherwise, how to demonstrate a demand?
For HTPC use, I'm their target audience, and I don't understand how should I use it. HDMI to TV, microUSB to charger, and then? I'm left with one full-size USB input and Wifi. And I need 1) remote control 2) free input for local media. At least. Given that its main selling point is being a PC, I may want to plug webcam there, too.

Then don't use local media?
I mean even if you do use local media, how do you access that media on another PC/HDTV?
Or attach a Hub? No one is stopping you from doing so.

And it isn't ONLY for HTPC use. It's also just a quick PC to take around with you. Going to a hotel and still want something quick and handy? You have a full PC on something that could slip in your pocket.

There are a ton of usages for this, you simply are trying to find ways it won't work, rather than thinking "Ok, maybe I need another device for this task."

Although the fact that you're using local media is still mind boggling to me, but well I also have around 30TB of media so local media and using external hard drives is a joke.

Edit: Not to mention you could use your smartphone as a remote. Not something I personally would do, but many users do it with Chromecast and love it.
Like the naysayers of the tablet when that was first introduced, you seem adept at finding cases it won't work rather than cases it will work in.
So this Compute Stick comes with Atom Z3735G, GPU is based on Ivy Bridge technology, which means no support for 23.976 fps Sad
(2015-01-12, 10:06)glypto Wrote: So this Compute Stick comes with Atom Z3735G, GPU is based on Ivy Bridge technology, which means no support for 23.976 fps Sad

Didn't they fix the 23.976Hz bugs in the Baytrail Atoms (aka Celerons) even though they had IVB-derived GPUs? ISTR that the N2820 was OK - and that has IVB-based HD graphics?

*** EDIT - I see some references to Baytrail Tablet and Baytrail Desktop possibly having different HD Graphics - so could be only the N series but not the Z series got the fix? ***

AIUI the Z series may also not support HD Audio bitstreaming over HDMI? Anyway - for £85 in the UK including postage it's an interesting little box. Not much cheaper than a 7" Windows 8.1 tablet - but probably a lot more useful to play with. Having Windows on it has advantages - though it sounds like it can't boot from the MicroSD card, so USB or internal eMMC boot only? (And I don't know if OpenElec has eMMC drivers for it yet - so it may be that USB boot is best for playing with OE builds?)
(2015-01-12, 10:06)glypto Wrote: So this Compute Stick comes with Atom Z3735G, GPU is based on Ivy Bridge technology, which means no support for 23.976 fps Sad

still quick enough to play 1080 movies nicely though which will be the demand from 99% of folks
This looks perfect for me. I'm still stuck on using Snapstream for my TV recording and playback so I can run the client software on this thing and use Snapstream natively rather then how I've been doing it now with the FireTV box.
Not to troll, be a fanboy, or hijack this thread....

For an HDMI Stick device to run Kodi, I'm still thinking that an Amazon Fire TV Stick would be a more rounded choice, as you can use Kodi for your personal media pleasures, coupled with Kodi Add-ons, as well as have the access to the native Fire TV apps for streaming (i.e. Netflix, Hulu, Prime, ESPN, etc). And the AFTV Stick is significantly cheaper.

I guess what I'm saying is for the price point of this HDMI Stick device, others already exist for much less money...
Except FTV runs android, which many of us prefer to avoid like a plague.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I think this should be a priority hardware platform for Kodi and many other projects. It solves so many problems, and will only get better with future versions. I can imagine what a Core M powered version would be like. The tablets and laptops coming with these don't even need a fan! I'd pay a premium for a stick powered by that, the extra cost is worth making it even more future-poof.
How does the Intel stick differ from the Meego that was announced last year and which shipped from Aliexpress in December?

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Sell-Mini...98752.html
(2015-01-13, 22:43)DruTheFu Wrote: Not to troll, be a fanboy, or hijack this thread....

For an HDMI Stick device to run Kodi, I'm still thinking that an Amazon Fire TV Stick would be a more rounded choice, as you can use Kodi for your personal media pleasures, coupled with Kodi Add-ons, as well as have the access to the native Fire TV apps for streaming (i.e. Netflix, Hulu, Prime, ESPN, etc). And the AFTV Stick is significantly cheaper.

I guess what I'm saying is for the price point of this HDMI Stick device, others already exist for much less money...

Suspect the Intel/Windows or Intel/Linux (if the compute sticks get decent driver support) may offer better AV quality (refresh rate switching, de-interlacing, 23.976Hz support, proper audio sample rate support, full MPEG2, H264 and VC-1 acceleration etc.) and even HD Audio (though not sure the Baytrail Zxxxx support this?) whereas the Android/FTV has quite significant limitations in these regards currently. (Android 5.0 may address some of these)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel Compute Stick (Broadwell - Released 2015)0