Intel Compute Stick (Broadwell - Released 2015)
(2015-03-10, 23:22)nickr Wrote: It is effectively in the market already - see meegopad

Though last time I checked Meegopad and similar weren't that Linux friendly - nasty 32 bit UEFI "BIOS" and no HDMI Audio drivers? (I got Ubuntu running on a Pipo X7 - which is very similar hardware in different form factor - but had to jump through lots of hoops to get it to happen. Plug and play it was not)
The bios is pretty easy to get around.

The audio driver is another matter, but isn't the intel offering using the same chipset? Hopefully they should sort tha, in an open source fashion.

Unfortunately I bricked my meegopad, but I also have a guleek i8. Same chipset, runs ubuntu nicely apart from the audio.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Not a stick, but Zotac Nano is using the same cpu, but with two usb ports.
So some Swedish retailers are showing this on there website with delivery status April 17. Very excited!

How is the Linux version(but with openelec installed) compared to a Rpi2 performance wise? Talking blurays and gui etc?

The price for an Rpi2 with wifi, sdcard, power and case is pretty much the same as an Compute Stick in Sweden.
Here is a hands on review of the IC Stick. Sounds encouraging.

http://hothardware.com/reviews/intel-com...ile?page=1
Gizmodo is not impressed:
http://gizmodo.com/intel-compute-stick-r...1699377058
(2015-04-22, 18:57)popcornmix Wrote: Gizmodo is not impressed:

Going to second that article, as I just finished reading before coming to the Kodi forums. Purchase a Chromebox, and skip the Intel Compute stick

The author of this article stated the following regarding Kodi in the comments:

Kodi worked great for what I used it for! I Streamed some stuff from the internet, dicked around in the menu and streamed some ripped DVDs from my desktop PC in the other room. Sadly, I didn’t have any higher res videos handy to stream, but everything I tried with it was fine.
Since i live in Sweden the Chromebox are double the price of an Compute stick.

I have a Rpi2 which works great! But i would love to have another kodi player with the ability to watch "play/webtv" channels, so i would need windows.

How do you guys think this one compares to Rpi2 kodi wise?
(2015-04-22, 21:22)amcfarla Wrote:

The author of this article stated the following regarding Kodi in the comments:

Kodi worked great for what I used it for! I Streamed some stuff from the internet, dicked around in the menu and streamed some ripped DVDs from my desktop PC in the other room. Sadly, I didn’t have any higher res videos handy to stream, but everything I tried with it was fine.

We have a MeeGoPad stick at work. Its primary use now is to be a dedicated information / display computer, connected to a TV in a lobby area. Prior to deploying the stick for that purpose (right after I re-imaged it with Windows 8.1) I installed Kodi and streamed Big Buck Bunny across the network to it (with a USB-to-Ethernet adapter) and it played flawlessly. I tested with every 1080P codec they had available on the site, all played great.

The computer stick will be a fine Kodi device, but you'll definitely want an Ethernet adapter if Intel's until is remotely comparable to MeeGoPad's WiFi (which is crap in my experience). I hope Intel's actual until will be better.
Current: Nvidia Shield TV (2nd Gen)
Retired: Asus M004u Chromebox - LibreELEC 7.0.1 | Raspberry Pi 2 - OpenELEC 6.0.3 | Apple TV w/ BCM70015 - CrystalBuntu 2.0 | Raspberry Pi - Model B - OpenElec Kodi 15
(2015-04-23, 00:59)Belic Wrote: Since i live in Sweden the Chromebox are double the price of an Compute stick.

I have a Rpi2 which works great! But i would love to have another kodi player with the ability to watch "play/webtv" channels, so i would need windows.

How do you guys think this one compares to Rpi2 kodi wise?

The Pipo X7 - which is based on the same family of SoC, but with a slightly higher clock speed, thermally throttles when playing reasonable quality (13Mbs 720/50p for instance - SVT 1 HD off-air recordings) content in Windows Kodi started frame dropping very quickly on replay. There are reports of similar devices to the Intel Compute Stick (Hannspree Windows 8 stick with the same SoC) also thermally throttling.

1080/50i (TV4 HD, BBC One HD etc. off-air) was a non-starter in Windows Kodi on the Pipo.

All of this content plays fine on the Pi 2 with OpenElec.

1080p content like Netflix from within the Win 8.1 Netflix app was fine on the Pipo.

In other words the CPU gets too hot and has to slow down its clock rate to cool down. It may be the Compute Stick has better thermal management than the Pipo and the Hannspree.

I had better experience once I got OpenElec to boot (the UEFI is 32bit and most 32 bit distros are designed for legacy BIOS boot instead - and these devices are normally UEFI and not legacy BIOS) and had very few frame drops, but still got thermal throttling. X7 users are putting extra cooling/heatsink solutions in to reduce this. And there was no HDMI audio at all in OpenELec (the Baytrail-T SoCs didn't have Linux HDMI audio drivers - hopefully the Intel stick will change this)
(2015-04-23, 03:19)noggin Wrote: [quote='Belic' pid='1988587' dateline='1429743581']

In other words the CPU gets too hot and has to slow down its clock rate to cool down. It may be the Compute Stick has better thermal management than the Pipo and the Hannspree.

The compute stick has a fan built in so this should help with heat just hope it's not noisy. I'm thinking of ordering one for work as a display board in reception. I'll try kodi out first though.

The Linux version comes with Ubuntu installed hopefully they have all the drivers sorted out!!
Gizmodo's article is pretty much garbage. The author says it's a bad buy because it didn't work for his uses, which are basically everything you wouldn't want to use an intel atom processor for. They tried to play games on it... WTF? God, I hate tech news blogs. I really really hate them.
(2015-04-23, 04:47)goujam Wrote:
(2015-04-23, 03:19)noggin Wrote: [quote='Belic' pid='1988587' dateline='1429743581']

The compute stick has a fan built in so this should help with heat just hope it's not noisy. I'm thinking of ordering one for work as a display board in reception. I'll try kodi out first though.

The Linux version comes with Ubuntu installed hopefully they have all the drivers sorted out!!

Ah - the fan could make all the difference. In that case it could be quite interesting running OpenElec.
(2015-04-23, 11:41)noggin Wrote:
(2015-04-23, 04:47)goujam Wrote:

Ah - the fan could make all the difference. In that case it could be quite interesting running OpenElec.
Only if Intel provide some audio drivers
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel Compute Stick (Broadwell - Released 2015)0