Intel Compute Stick (Broadwell - Released 2015)
(2015-04-23, 11:43)nickr Wrote:
(2015-04-23, 11:41)noggin Wrote:
(2015-04-23, 04:47)goujam Wrote: The compute stick has a fan built in so this should help with heat just hope it's not noisy. I'm thinking of ordering one for work as a display board in reception. I'll try kodi out first though.

The Linux version comes with Ubuntu installed hopefully they have all the drivers sorted out!!

Ah - the fan could make all the difference. In that case it could be quite interesting running OpenElec.
Only if Intel provide some audio drivers
Does the Intel Linux version not do audio over HDMI?
(2015-04-23, 15:06)noggin Wrote:
(2015-04-23, 11:43)nickr Wrote:
(2015-04-23, 11:41)noggin Wrote: Ah - the fan could make all the difference. In that case it could be quite interesting running OpenElec.
Only if Intel provide some audio drivers

Ive been trying to find this out and cant find an answer either way. But if it can do Audio over HDMI it would be intresting to try the PIPO x7 again within linux to see if HD audio is available
(2015-04-23, 15:52)goujam Wrote:
(2015-04-23, 15:06)noggin Wrote:
(2015-04-23, 11:43)nickr Wrote: Only if Intel provide some audio drivers

Ive been trying to find this out and cant find an answer either way. But if it can do Audio over HDMI it would be intresting to try the PIPO x7 again within linux to see if HD audio is available

Precisely. The Pipo X7 with a heatsink and OpenElec would be a neat little solution - and dual boot with Windows even more useful.
It would appear that the alleged $89 (USD) price tag (for the Linix variant), may have been a bit optimistic, and may perhaps not have survived into actual production.

I'm looking at newegg.com and they have these things available for pre-order, with actual shipments slated for around May 31, but they list the price as $109.99 plus another $7.99 for shipping. So basically $118 delivered.

But it's still a very interesting little device.

One wonders how much power will actually be coming out of the USB port.

Hummm... I just found this fresh hands-on review. As one might expect during early days, there are still some... um... issues...

http://www.afr.com/brand/compute-sticks-...511-ggvl9u
Finally a decent review about this. Lon did an awesome job

Intel Compute Stick Review - Full Windows PC on a HDMI stick! vs. MeegoPad
My XBMC/Kodi folder: addons, skins, addon/menu backgrounds & more
I have some bad news. My Compute Stick arrived a few days ago. I initially had some issues with the new drivers after updating, so I had to reset it back to factory default. Long story short, it's not designed to work with a receiver. I had a chat with Intel support when I couldn't get any video when I had it plugged in to my Denon 2313CI. They stated that "the compute stick is not designed to be connected to a receiver, it can only be connected to a TV or monitor". It would be a hit or miss if plugged in to a receiver. I really wanted to make this work. Sad Intel support said ARC might work. I'm going to give that a try.

I did a quick unboxing video if you wanted to see what was included.
(2015-05-15, 01:05)MadClown Wrote: Long story short, it's not designed to work with a receiver.

That right there is going to be a deal breaker for a lot of folks.

P.S. I have trouble understanding why on earth that wouldn't work. I mean what's the diff? Every device I have, or that I've ever even tried/tested, that had an HDMI output has worked just fine with my A/V receiver. What's different about the stick that makes it unable to do likewise?
I had no major issues with a Pipo X7 (very similar SoC) running Win 8.1 with Bing and my Onkyo amp (PCM 7.1 and DD/DD+/DTS bitstreamed), other than possibly the usual issues when you switch inputs.
(2015-05-15, 06:22)ronbaby Wrote:
(2015-05-15, 01:05)MadClown Wrote: Long story short, it's not designed to work with a receiver.

That right there is going to be a deal breaker for a lot of folks.

P.S. I have trouble understanding why on earth that wouldn't work. I mean what's the diff? Every device I have, or that I've ever even tried/tested, that had an HDMI output has worked just fine with my A/V receiver. What's different about the stick that makes it unable to do likewise?
I agree it shouldn't make a difference. But this is intel we're talking about...
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-05-15, 07:12)noggin Wrote: I had no major issues with a Pipo X7 (very similar SoC) running Win 8.1 with Bing and my Onkyo amp (PCM 7.1 and DD/DD+/DTS bitstreamed), other than possibly the usual issues when you switch inputs.

Pipo x7 also works on denon x2000 and x4000
Success! I was able to get it to work on receiver, despite what Intel said. For some strange reason, I had to cold boot my receiver first. Strange. I'll report back after I play around with it a bit more.
I just read in some user comments on a well known e-commerce site that starts with AMAZO, that this stick cannot support both wi-fi and bluetooth simultaneously. Don't know if that's true or not, it sounds suspect, but if someone can verify if that is true it may be useful info for potential buyers to consider.
That sounds like rubbish to me.
The bluetooth and ethernet are on the same chip from what I recall, so sustained throughput for both might be an issue.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-01-08, 15:25)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2015-01-08, 12:10)glypto Wrote:
(2015-01-07, 22:36)barber76 Wrote: How to control this thing? No IR port... Plug bluetooth receiver to the only full-size USB port?

It has built-in Bluetooth, so bluetooth remote is an option.
HDMI CEC could be another option in case it does support it.

Or one of the many remote apps for use on a smartphone/tablet.

I have a compute stick and have been trying to figure this out. I don't see a way to connect to an app using bluetooth. According to this post, it isn't supported in Kodi yet, or am I missing some piece of information? Maybe only BT using a BT remote, not an app....

Thanks
SA

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel Compute Stick (Broadwell - Released 2015)0