Bug workaround - Kodi & SMB issues when using a OSX SMB server
nobody is working on a fix (because wrxtasy does a fantastic job in troubleshooting users until it works).
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2015-02-13, 20:35)crashmaster4000 Wrote: OK... tried every possible combination of all these suggestions and still not able to connect to my Mac server using AFP or SMB. It used to work perfectly under v13, but seems broken in 14.

Have any devs chimed in yet and said they are working on a fix?

crash

If you're trying to connect to a mac, take it from me and give up on AFP & SMB.
Just follow wrxtasy's advice and use NFS with NFS Manager. It works perfectly.
It takes a little in the setup, but it's worth it.
Soooo.... there's a known bug but no-one is currently doing anything to fix it? Or is this going to be fixed down the road?

And in the meantime, what kind of information do you need from me wrxtasy to get afp and/or smb working?
Just follow the steps Exactly:

NOOBS Guide to using NFS Manager to setup sharing here:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1814794

I suggest if your running an iMac in OSX System Prefernces > Energy Saver:
Set Computer sleep to Never and set Display sleep to somewhere between 1 to 5 mins, otherwise your Mac will sleep and stop streaming files when using NFS.

AFP will only work reliably sharing files between two or more Macs when using OSX.

Also this may be of benefit -

Sharing & Permissions using OSX:
=======================
(If you are still having problems accessing OSX SMB Shared Folders)

This will make sure "Sharing & Permissions" is correctly set for the selected folder(s) or external drive(s).

1. Select the problem folder or drive in question, right click and select "Get Info"
2. At the bottom right of the window click the padlock and type in your password
3. In the Name and Priviledge window set everything to Priviledge "Read & Write"
4. In the drop down star symbol (next to + -) - select "Apply to enclosed items...."
5. Click the padlock again and you done.

or the Brute Force quick way just.....

Select "Ignore ownership on this volume"

Smile

For the SMB thing we can't do anything. Just read about how other programs (even ubuntu) have problems connecting to the yosmite smb server.

As i have read Apple switched to SMB3 protocol in Yosemite. This is not supported by our used libsmbclient (which is 3rd party btw and not in our control). Even forcing SMB2 or SMB1 or NTLMv2/NTLM/LM auth via nsmb.conf (google!) doesn't work. Also the interwebs claim that Mavericks uses SMB2 should work but i was not able to connect to a current 10.9.5 smbserver...

All in all no matter how many users bitch about it - its not our fault and we can't fix it.

May statement - don't use macminis as fileserver (they are way to expensive for this anyway), but just get a dedicated NAS or attach your storage to your usb capable router with samba server or what not. All those solutions are also cheaper in power consumption.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
Wow thanks for the detailed explanation Memphiz - appreciate you taking the time to provide it. I'm currently using a MacPro with 24TB of storage and am going to keep trying to get it working before I throw my hands in the air and yell "I surrender!"

Same goes for you wrxtacy - appreciate your help!

Crash
(2015-02-17, 17:59)crashmaster4000 Wrote: Wow thanks for the detailed explanation Memphiz - appreciate you taking the time to provide it. I'm currently using a MacPro with 24TB of storage and am going to keep trying to get it working before I throw my hands in the air and yell "I surrender!"

Same goes for you wrxtacy - appreciate your help!

Crash

What's your client? Older mac minis are cheep and you can mount your shares on log on. After that they will appear in your volumes on KODI.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

24tb <- connect it via nfs and be done with the hazzle...
Memphiz: fine fine - I'll switch to nfs this afternoon and see how it goes Smile

pecinko: media consumption devices vary from another 2010 MacPro to an iPad Air and iPad Air2 to a KodiBuntu box.

Thanks again for the help everyone!

crash
I am sure the NFS solution works fine, but if your on a private network and security is not a concern, here is what I did that was much quicker.

I am using the SMB share option - I have added my folder to the share list and given "Everyone" the proper read/readwrite access as desired - but one final step in Yosemite...

Go to your Users & Groups and then look for your "Guest" account - it will need to be enabled (Allow Guest to log into this computer) BUT in my case I found the setting for "Allow guest user to connect to shared folders" was not enabled. I checked that and the SMB link works just fine - no need for username/password. Again I know this is not a secure situation so each user will need to use this with caution, but it is a quick workaround.
Good pickup,

Just checked my Users & Groups settings - Guest account, and indeed I have had "Allow guest user to connect to shared folders" enabled all along.

For a local Home Network this works fine. Smile

A little bit more info on SMB - Sharing and Permissions problems I have recently encountered.

For some reason, I have been having further issues with various video files refusing to play over a local network when shared from an OSX server when using SMB only. NFS is fine. I generally run them through a program called MP4Tools and the resulting files are converted to an Apple .m4v container. These files then play properly on my RPi2 and Crystalbutnu ATV1.

Looking in OSX System Preferences > Sharing > File Sharing I have:
- Windows Sharing On > Share files and folders using SMB
- Shared Folders - Downloads

Users:

WRXTASY - Read & Write
Staff - Read Only
Everyone - Read Only

Next looking at the "Downloads folder" with OSX - Get Info, I see:
Shared Folder - Ticked

Sharing & Permissions:
system - Read & Write
WRXTASY (Me) - Read & Write
wheel - Read & Write
everyone - Read only

One would think at this point all Permissions look correct for file sharing - yes ?
Well NO, for some reason individual video files I have downloaded with Google Chrome on OSX have ended up with the following Permissions in the Download directory:

WRXTASY (Me) - Read & Write
wheel - Read Only
everyone - No Access

I changed everyone - to Read only, and Bam - Issue solved.

The issue still remains however, every file downloaded has a Permissions issue when saved by Google Chrome in the Downloads directory. I have to do a Get Info , Apply to Enclosed items permissions fix every now and again.
The easy fix is just to export these files to an shared external drive and then you can just select "Ignore ownership on this volume"

This may possibly be a OSX Sandboxing issue with Chrome downloads or a parent directory - Recursive permissions issue.

The hunt continues.... Wink

And now for all those long suffering Android users that want to access SMB Shares on an OSX Mac, here is what I've discovered:

- Kodi running on Android has been dragging its heels in getting an up to date SAMBA support library included in the official stable releases.

- You have two Kodi - Android choices currently that will access SAMBA shares on OSX correctly:

1) The excellent SPMC 14.2.0 (using Samba 3.6 (gplv3)) by the Kodi Android developer Koying.
(btw - SPMC offers dynamic refresh rate switching for Amlogic and Rockchip SOC's)

http://spmc.semperpax.com/

2) Kodi 15.0 aka Isengard - Android nightlies

http://mirrors.kodi.tv/nightlies/android/arm/

Both of these work. I've tested them myself on an ODROID-C1 that runs the Android KitKat 4.4.2 OS.

Smile

This is strange..
Kodi 14.2 -connecting to yosemite from another yosemite mac is not working. Tried all different ways/combinations, some of which have worked previously.
Connecting from iPad Kodi 14.2 to the same yosemite works by ALL ways i tried, even zeroconf browser works seamlessly. Didnt bother to check all
Sometimes your Mac won't appear as (NFS) when using "Zero config browser" on Kodi. Just AFP and SMB.
The reason is that permissions may disable you Mac's NFS Daemon from autostarting.
1. Try typing "sudo nfsd start" on Terminal on your Mac.
2. Go back to Kodi and try "Zero config browser" again. If now your Mac shared folder appears as (NFS) you can add it right away Smile
3. To avoid having to retype "sudo nfsd start" in your Terminal after each restart, repair permissions on your Mac (Disk Utility is enough for this job)
This worked for me after hours of trying everything. And it seems to be a common issue with NFS on Mac, so I thought it worth mentioning here.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
workaround - Kodi & SMB issues when using a OSX SMB server0