Bug workaround - Kodi & SMB issues when using a OSX SMB server
(2016-01-21, 04:22)mbriody Wrote: Thanks, will try adding the IP for NFS. You mention adding this under Zeroconf. Any reason to do it there rather than under NFS? Or does it not matter?

The Browse menu "Network File System (NFS)" button doesn't work here for me period just as the "Windows Network (SMB)" one doesn't either (It does works if I have a Windows based share available). When ZeroConf is working right, it will bring them up correctly on an OS X server. But if you manually add a share so it has your SMB or NFS address, it will then show up on that Browse screen with the manual address starting point and you can then use that to add any number of sub-directories, etc.

Why OS X doesn't show up under the regular Windows Network or Network File System listings, I do not know. It never has for me under any version of OS X (even with SMBuP). Manually entering a SMB address (e.g. if I had a drive called "MedaFiles" I set to share and I was at 192.168.1.4 you would want smb://192.168.1.4:445/MediaFiles/ as your entry point (you can then get at all directories below that; you'd have to put something else for a share on another volume; just match whatever you set up in your OS X preference menu shared drives and/or directories (smb://192.168.1.4:445/NAME works for any given listing). Just going to Windows Network (SMB)" in the Browse list doesn't work for OS X (not for me anyway). It will say something like "Error 2: Share Not Available" if you try to use the Windows Network button. It doesn't say anything if I click on the Network File System button (busy and then nothing). Maybe there's a way to fix that, but I don't know what it is.

Similarly, to get to my main NFS share with that setup if I had it shared the same way, I would set a link to NFS://192.168.1.4:2049/Volumes/MediaFiles/ as the entry point (again assuming MediaFiles is an actual drive and you had it set up that way when you set up NFS on OS X in general).
THEATER: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Mixed Dialog Lift  - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S (ZDMC), LD, GameCube
Big Grin Got it working, I followed the steps listed and then decided to enable the guest account on OSX (make sure to tick enable file sharing) and BAM! It shows up. I clicked on Add Videos --> Browse --> Zeroconf browser --> MycompName and the folders show up. I can to my hearts content. Hope this helps some people out. Cool (by decided to enable the guest account, I mean I was reading other solutions and found it)
(2016-02-03, 05:46)JChops Wrote: Big Grin Got it working, I followed the steps listed and then decided to enable the guest account on OSX (make sure to tick enable file sharing) and BAM! It shows up. I clicked on Add Videos --> Browse --> Zeroconf browser --> MycompName and the folders show up. I can to my hearts content. Hope this helps some people out. Cool (by decided to enable the guest account, I mean I was reading other solutions and found it)

And make sure to enable share files between guest accounts.
Kodi 17, Transparency Skin
PogoPlug v4 running Arm Linux 4.4.63 as MySQL (mariadb) server.
Mac OS 10.12.5
2015 27" iMac 3.3 GHz Quad, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
2015 13" Macbook Pro, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD
AppleTV 4 TV OS 10
I use windows primarily now but can i say El Capitan works perfectly with windows/SMB shares for me; i haven't read the whole post but just my 2p worth.
(2016-02-08, 01:05)Derek Wrote: I use windows primarily now but can i say El Capitan works perfectly with windows/SMB shares for me; i haven't read the whole post but just my 2p worth.

How did you got the Userrights working. If i want to login with a User i added with Read/Write rights i just connection timed out. Tried IP also but seems nothing will work
I map the drives in osx not in kodi and it works perfectly, it saves your username and password aswell - with windows 10 you need to login with your MS email and pass.
dont know if this is useful
usng 2009 imac
latest ios el capitan as of 28 march 2016.
atv 2 ios 5.3 (6105)
kodi v14 helix on atv 2

kodi v14 on imac

i also lost the ability to connect via smb to my media folders

i run kodi on my imac.
on atv, access kodi, browse for files, choose format "uPNP"
and voila, all my movie media playlists from kodi appear, and it is back to status quo.

let me know if this was useful[/u]
Hi

Weird thing is, that FireTV(rooted) + Kodi wont allow me to connect (I get broken pipe error)
but NexusPlayer(stock) + Kodi working fine...So I thought it might be a problem with my FireTV.
AP, network are same.

I'm using both same version (NP from google play, firetv downloaded from official site and sideloaded)

My Mac OSX is on El capitan. I have guest enabled but on NP I use username and password.

FireTV os is at 5.0.5.2 or so.
After lots of trial and error, I finally managed connection to my Mac running OS X 10.11.6. I experimented with all the solutions and workarounds in this thread. Nothing worked for me, and the error messages were inconsistent and not informative.

In the past I'd used SMBUp, but it's an old/unmaintained utility. And it left my shares being broadcast on the LAN, which I didn't like (I visit lots of offices and don't always remember to turn off file sharing.)

What ultimately worked for me best (if at all) today, was setting up shares via NFS Manager.

Here's a quick tutorial on how to set it up. NFS Manager works in "free" mode and doesn't need to remain running once your shares are setup. It just works.
I tried the NFS solution but it doesn't work for me.
I am able to successfully add the NFS address and create a network location, when I click it I can see the shared volumes, but when I try to enter those, nothing happens.
any ideas?
thanks!
I've already written a Noobs Guide to OSX - NFS file sharing a coupla years ago, the Link found on Page #1 of this thread. (Post #14)

thanks, I followed that one but it doesn't work for me.
I'm using a macmini with El Capitan Server
it seems I solved it with SMB now. thanks
(2016-10-22, 14:40)wrxtasy Wrote: I've already written a Noobs Guide to OSX - NFS file sharing a coupla years ago, the Link found on Page #1 of this thread. (Post #14)

You should probably add that starting with El Capitan you must disable SIP (System Integrity Protocol) in order to add the "-N" option now. It resets on an upgrade to El Capitan (and presumably Sierra as well) and the file cannot be edited with SIP turned on. Once changed you can then turn SIP back on again (at least until Apple resets the file again, presumably on a major upgrade; I haven't tried Sierra yet so I cannot be sure if it overwrites it again, but El Capitan most definitely did).

I assume this is why the person in question couldn't get NFS to work since -N must be enabled to work with KODI.
THEATER: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Mixed Dialog Lift  - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S (ZDMC), LD, GameCube
I read through parts of this thread and just want to see if anything has changed. I can download NFS Manager if need be but if I could leave things as they are and use SMB or something that would be ideal. I have a Synology NAS hooked up to an Mac Mini. This obviously works flawlessly when sharing files between my macbooks, the mac mini, and the NAS. The server address starts as afp:// . Is there any way to just enter the full address manually under any option? I tried HTTPS and it appended that to the beginning and couldn't find it. I'm using SPMC on an Android TV box which I believe runs Kodi 16 UI. Thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
workaround - Kodi & SMB issues when using a OSX SMB server0