Solved ssh Driving me crazy
I use Kodi version "Helix" on a Raspberry Pi (Kodi version compiled 24-12-2014) and I want to play video's from my Linux machine via ssh.

I've filled in Kodi's dialog box for this (Video's > Files > Add videos > Browse > Add network location > Protocol secure shell (ssh/sftp)). I gave in the IP addess of the other machine, username, port 22 etc etc. time and time again but Kodi keeps on throwing me the following error message:
Code:
Kodi was unable to connect to the network location [... additional text cut ...]
Ignoring this error does not help (of course). What's driving me crazy is that when I connect to the Pi w/ ssh in a terminal en then I try to connect "back" to my linux box from the Pi via ssh it DOES WORK!!! That is: I CAN log in with ssh from the Pi to my Linux PC. Be it that the first time I had to delete the file /home/pi/.ssh/known_hosts. But Kodi gives me nothing but the cryptic error:
Code:
Could not connect to the network server
How can I connect to my Linux machine via ssh IN Kodi itself?
Not sure why you are having problems, but why are you using ssh? The overhead is quite high due to encryption. Smb or nfs are what most people use.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-01-07, 21:22)nickr Wrote: Not sure why you are having problems, but why are you using ssh? The overhead is quite high due to encryption. Smb or nfs are what most people use.
Samba is meant to connect to Windows machines. I've used Samba quite a lot in my time and I find it's configuration so complicated that I always advise Linux users against it. I always advise Linuxers to use ssh to connect from Linux to Linux: smb is not meant for that. But if everything else fails I might try it.

Something else goes for nfs. I find its config difficult: the tutorials I've found on the internet so far are so unbelievably complicated that I do not understand them...

Ssh however is always quite easy. That is, until now...

By the way, I've heard that smb's overhead is quite large... (could be wrong though)

P.S. Anybody recognize Kodi's error message? Anybody know what's the exact problem Kodi has? Might it be password related?
You might want to look at your logs, both kodi and the ssh server.

Say what you like, but my server runs linux/samba and my 5 openelec (ie linux) clients work perfectly. I did try nfs years ago and had a difficulty. I used smb and it just worked perfectly and has continued to for at least 10 years.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I use NFS and SMB - indeed, I don't know which I'm using much of the time - once you've got them set up, they're fine. Fine-tuning permissions is a pain, though, but that's not a problem in a public (in my house, anyway) video library IMO.

@xbmcuser1 - if you're wedded to ssh, can you not use sshfs to mount the remote locations at the OS level, and then simply direct Kodi to a local mount point?
I've the exact same problem and i have spent hour upon hour to try and solve it. Connecting from the pi terminal works wonders, but from within the UI it's like hitting a brick wall. Have you found any solution yet? Because I'm about to give up and start using nfs.

Edit: Trying to connect via ssh/sftp from kodi to Manjaro Linux computer.
Tried different firewall rules, made sure sshd is running, made sure ssh is listening on :22. And it's no problem to connect from terminal.

Could it be a user-thing? Some priviliges we need? And is the standard Master User profile equal to either the pi or the root user?
I ask this because I'm not required to type in my password when the pi boots into xbmc. Are we actually logged on...kinda?

Connecting via smb to windows computer works totally fine.
Logs?
(2015-01-14, 20:16)nickr Wrote: Logs?
Sorry. Here's the log: http://pastebin.com/wacUb6NM
Quote:21:36:36 T:3038023680 ERROR: SFTPSession: The host key for this server was not found but an other type of key exists. An attacker might change the default server key to confuse your client into thinking the key does not exist
21:36:36 T:3038023680 ERROR: SFTPSession: Host is not known 'Invalid argument in ssh_options_set'
21:36:36 T:3038023680 ERROR: SFTPSession: Not connected, can't list directory ''

I don't use SSH so I don't know what that means, but it's probably the cause of your problems.
(2015-01-18, 23:36)negge Wrote:
Quote:21:36:36 T:3038023680 ERROR: SFTPSession: The host key for this server was not found but an other type of key exists. An attacker might change the default server key to confuse your client into thinking the key does not exist
21:36:36 T:3038023680 ERROR: SFTPSession: Host is not known 'Invalid argument in ssh_options_set'
21:36:36 T:3038023680 ERROR: SFTPSession: Not connected, can't list directory ''

I don't use SSH so I don't know what that means, but it's probably the cause of your problems.
A very sharp remark from you! If ssh/sftp complains about a host key then that usually means you've "trusted" a computer on the network before. If "something" changes on that computer then the key needs to be reset or someting. Anyway, I deleted /home/pi/.ssh/known_hosts file and SSh works now!

What still bugs me is why it did work from the terminal and not in Kodi. Anyway, thanks man! Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ssh Driving me crazy1