Trying to use Kodi's WOL feature to wait for a network connection when launched
Sutation:
- Windows 8.1 client, using KodiLauncher to boot straight into Kodi
- Startup is very fast and the LAN network connection of my PC is not up/active when Kodi tries to reach the shared library (MySQL)
- The shared library is hosted on a Synology DS, which is always on

I tried to use a wakeonlan.xml file in my userdata folder with the following configuration:

Code:
<onaccesswakeup>
   <netinittimeout>60</netinittimeout>
   <netsettletime>500</netsettletime>
   <wakeup>
       <host>192.168.1.2</host>
       <mac>11:11:F2:11:DF:1E</mac>
       <pingport>0</pingport>
       <pingmode>1</pingmode>
       <timeout>60000</timeout>
       <waitonline>0</waitonline>
       <waitonline2>0</waitonline2>
       <waitservices>0</waitservices>
   </wakeup>
</onaccesswakeup>

When my PC boots I get a black screen for at least more than 60 secs. I turned my PC off after a few minutes.
I'm using waitonline 0 because the server is always on and I just need to wait until the network is available.

Questions:
- What am I doing wrong here? Blush
- Can I use timeout '-1' so that Kodi doesn't have to check again after a while?
- Is Kodi checking for a matching MAC address when pinging? (I now used the example one, because I don't actually depend on the WOL pakket)
Platforms: macOS - iOS - OSMC
co-author: Red Bull TV add-on
1) post a logfile please
2) no, only a long timeout
3) no, macaddress is just for wol, after that only need ip

did you enable the feature in power saving settings? (it is not enabled just because there is a .xml-file present ..)
Quote: 1.7 Upon booting, start XBMC with a delay

* When starting XBMC on Windows startup it can be that some sub services weren't started when XBMC is up. To delay XBMC just add the parameter -d X (in the Target field after the closing quotation mark) to the shortcut's properties used to launch XBMC, with X equal to the startup delay in seconds.
The black screen was something else.

In Kodi I had a message saying that the WOL packet couldn't be sent.
So what I found out is that Kodi isn't actually waiting until the network comes up, it just tries to send the WOL package after the netsettletime is passed.
Thus not what I was hoping but at least with this setting I can tweak it to a miliseconds rather than seconds (with KodiLauncher).
(2015-01-08, 22:27)tripkip Wrote: The black screen was something else.

So what I found out is that Kodi isn't actually waiting until the network comes up, it just tries to send the WOL package after the netsettletime is passed.
Thus not what I was hoping but at least with this setting I can tweak it to a miliseconds rather than seconds (with KodiLauncher).

That does not sound right. Kodi should wait until network comes up. Please provide a logfile
(2015-01-09, 10:04)t4_ravenbird Wrote:
(2015-01-08, 22:27)tripkip Wrote: The black screen was something else.

That does not sound right. Kodi should wait until network comes up. Please provide a logfile

If it's true what you're saying I could set the netsettletime to '0', right?

I'll create a log file tonight.
There are 2 timeout-settings for network-startup.
- 'netinittimeout' is the time to wait for network to become available.
- 'netsettletime' is a little extra time to wait and verify that the network is consistently available. I added this because on some os's I observed that when network comes online there is a phase where it rapidly bounces to-and-from connected/unconnected a few times before it 'settles' to connected.

In any case ; Best way is to dont bother with tweaking/editing the .xml at all. Delete it, then use the GUI to activate 'try to wake ..' and let it auto-configure itself. Should work;-) - if not then the log should tell us what is the problem
Well for me it only works with a netsettletime of 900ms or higher.
Really, that was a surprisingly long time. If that is the case then probably the default should be changed to a higher value then now

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Trying to use Kodi's WOL feature to wait for a network connection when launched0