XBMC/KODI + SlingTV = Jackpot?
Dish TV, a long time supporter of SlingBox has just introduced SlingTV, which has partnered with the "most watched cable stations by 20-35 year old" to bring a new streaming service for $20 a month. Right now this includes ESPN/2, TNT,TBS,Food,Cartoon,CNN,ABCFamily and more.

I can only image that its a matter of time before a plugin will be created for this new service. Man think of the possibility with the rest of Kodi's plug'ins that stream other TV/Movie stations.

NOTE: SlingTV is in Beta testing right now. Stay tuned!

Announcement Jan 5th 2015: http://www.cnet.com/news/dish-launches-2...pn-disney/

http://lifehacker.com/sling-tv-will-stre...1677538346
Found a address to request access to their API's. It's just wrong that they are limiting access to big name companies right now.

[email protected].
Sorry, but isn't that bootlegged again...? (didn't even bother to check out your link)
If so, just close your thread, please!!!!

Consider paying for what you want to see, but don't try to run Kodi-Users into indisputable illegal sources of media that we simply don't want!

It's really tiring to see those kind of 1st-time-posts again and again!

Just read Kodi's piracy_policy (wiki) and consider to not bother anyone of us again.

Oh boy...

EDIT:
...see below... sometimes I'm too quick as it seems....
Bye,
Fry
Kodi v17.6 with shared MariaDB v10.3 | HTS Tvheadend 4.2.6 on RPi2 | running on:
Windows 10x64 | Nvidia Shield | FireTV4k | FireTVStick4 | Android 5 | RPi3 with OSMC
Nah, slingbox and dish TV stuff is legitimate actually.
...ups - my bad then...
Realy sorry.
No
Please forget my post.
Bye,
Fry
Kodi v17.6 with shared MariaDB v10.3 | HTS Tvheadend 4.2.6 on RPi2 | running on:
Windows 10x64 | Nvidia Shield | FireTV4k | FireTVStick4 | Android 5 | RPi3 with OSMC
I'm VERY interested in the Sling TV service offering, and signed up for an invite. If the Amazon app store releases an Amazon Fire TV app for this, or Kodi releases an official Add-On for this service, I will be set for an official cable cutting scenario. Certain unnamed Add-Ons for live sports streaming is OK, but not HD, so I make do. But for $20 a month to get legitimate HD sports streaming, I'm in.

Hope Kodi will find a way to incorporate Sling TV Wink
+1 would love to see something done here.

Even better would be to somehow incorporate the service with the integrated PVR. i.e. You go into the TV section of KODI (my backend is currently NextPVR tied into a Local Basic FIOS package) and your TV listings is a combination of the Sling TV channels with whatever Live TV you're getting via the other service (QAM, ASTC, etc.).
Looks like it IS coming to the AFTV: http://www.aftvnews.com/everything-you-n...v-service/
any update on this? it just got released to the public
I think it will be a while before anyone is sure what can or cannot be done. I just got an invite e-mail myself, but I'm not a dev and wouldn't know what to poke around for.
(2015-02-07, 13:43)Ned Scott Wrote: I think it will be a while before anyone is sure what can or cannot be done. I just got an invite e-mail myself, but I'm not a dev and wouldn't know what to poke around for.

I think this is going to be a limiting factor for most people wanting to develop on it or even extend beyond the 1 week preview would be under the Terms of Use https://www.sling.com/terms-of-use:

" You may use more than one Permitted Device, but the number of Authorized User(s) concurrently accessing or using our Services may be limited to one (1) Permitted Device at any time."

Limited to a single device of streaming at a time could be a deal breaker for more people than not. Hopefully people cancelling at the end of the 7-day free trial or at any point share that limitation as the reason for cancelling. Besides bundling I was wondering how they were going to keep the big company spin on this new and welcomed form of cord cutting.
Checked it out and while I like what they have to offer the pc version does not support remote control or keyboard commands. This is a deal breaker for me.
Played with Slingtv for almost a week now. It works okay on AFTV, but sometimes fails to log in. Last day of my week free trial, so I will be cancelling it today. Maybe when they release the AFTV app I'll pay for it. Hopefully the will allow multiply log ins with one account by then.
(2015-02-13, 16:18)Tight_wad Wrote: Played with Slingtv for almost a week now. It works okay on AFTV, but sometimes fails to log in. Last day of my week free trial, so I will be cancelling it today. Maybe when they release the AFTV app I'll pay for it. Hopefully the will allow multiply log ins with one account by then.

The 'official' Sling TV app was released yesterday on the Amazon App store. I played with it yesterday, and I'll give it some more testing this weekend.
Didn't see that, good to know. Thanks

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC/KODI + SlingTV = Jackpot?1