Solved Buffering Problem with Kodi and blu-ray folders
Hi,

since updating to Kodi I am experiencing an odd behaviour when playing blu-ray folders.
I ripped all my blu-rays to main-movie-only folder structures. Kodi recognizes them well, no problem.
But now, if I play one of the movies, the output is just stuttering - sloppy video and audio.
If I look at the on screen diagnostics, it's obvious that the buffer is near 0% all the time.
If I pause for a while the buffer starts to fill, but it is drained way too fast a soon as I resume playback.

This seems as if it was a network issue, but:
I had no problems with XBMC at all.
Strange thing is: If I play the video manually, e.g. navigating to the m2ts file inside the stream subfolder, everything runs smooth as expected.
Buffer keeps at 99% all the time. If I do the same using the index.bdmv (I guess that's simliar to what kodi does when I play a "movie" that is stored in a folder structure) file at the root of the movie it again stutters.

I use a zbox ad04 (amd) and a Wi-Fi AC Bridge (that does > 200Mbps netto data rate) and run kodi on openelec 5 (with KODI 14).

I have attached a debug log from boot time to starting the movie (Transformers).

Any ideas?

Debug-Log: http://pastebin.com/zwpWfVjf

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!
Hi again,

here's a debug log for playing the m2ts file directly: http://pastebin.com/RVxnWcDF

One thing I noticed is, that the log file for the problem case contains a lot of stuff like this:

18:40:22 T:140326122567424 DEBUG: CDVDClock:Big Griniscontinuity - CDVDPlayerAudio::HandleSyncError1 - was:15517087.624333, should be:15406582.873147, error:-110504.751186
18:40:22 T:140326122567424 WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(audio)::Get - asked for new data packet, with nothing available
18:40:22 T:140326122567424 WARNING: Previous line repeats 10 times.

The above log for playing the m2ts file directly does not contain these warnings.

Hope anyone has a clue.

Thanks!
Hi!

Just packed the blu-ray folder structure into a mkv using makemkv - playback ist fine then... No stuttering, buffer always full (same as playing m2ts directly).

I'm happy to deliver any help I can give - because this one is really annoying. A friend of mine who upgraded to kodi recently is stuck with the same problem.

Thanks!
Hello,

I am using an intel NUC with Openelec. I have updated to 5.0 recently and I have the same issue.

Best regards
Hi again,

still hoping for help...

Maybe anyone might give it a try to reproduce the problem?

I cut down my testfile into a 30 second chunk using tsmuxer and chose two output variants: a blu-ray iso and a single m2ts file.
You can find the test files here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/leu3jgqeocuno...Ra1za?dl=0

The setup is as follows:

Zotac AD04 running openelec connected through A playing file B from Source C using protocol D

Here are the variants I tested:

A, B, C, D, result
Wifi-AC-Bridge, test.m2ts, Synology NAS, SMB, everything ok
Wifi-AC-Bridge, test.iso, Synology NAS, SMB, stuttering
WiFi-AC-Bridge, test.m2ts, Synology NAS, NFS everything ok
WiFi-AC-Bridge, test.iso, Synology NAS, NFS stuttering
WiFi-AC-Bridge, test.m2ts, Windows 7 64-bit, SMB everything ok
WiFi-AC-Bridge, test.iso, Windows 7 64-bit, SMB stuttering

Powerline-Adapter, test.m2ts, Synology NAS, SMB, everything ok
Powerline-Adapter, test.iso, Synology NAS, SMB, stuttering
Powerline-Adapter, test.m2ts, Synology NAS, NFS everything ok
Powerline-Adapter, test.iso, Synology NAS, NFS stuttering
Powerline-Adapter, test.m2ts, Windows 7 64-bit, SMB everything ok
Powerline-Adapter, test.iso, Windows 7 64-bit, SMB stuttering

Gigabit Ethernet: Any combination ok
Fast Ethernet: Any combination ok

Data rates:
Wifi-AC-Bridge - delivering approx. 12 MB/s
Powerline-Adapter - delivering approx. 10 MB/s
Gigabit Ethernet - delivering approx. 80 MB/s
Fast Ethernet - delivering approx. 10 MB/s

The testfile is about 30 Mb/s video and 600 Kb/s audio - so all of the connection types should work ok, and in fact they do, as long as I play the m2ts file.
I never experienced this issue with older versions (e.g. openelec 4.2.1 running xbmc 13.2 and older).
Strange thing is that everything seems fine on a wired connection (I even tested using only fast ethernet to achieve a simliar bandwidth condition).

Apart from bandwidth, there's only latency that comes to my mind.

Typical latency here:

Wifi-AC-Bridge:
64 bytes from 10.0.0.59: seq=1 ttl=128 time=2.378 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.0.59: seq=2 ttl=128 time=1.729 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.0.59: seq=3 ttl=128 time=2.113 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.0.59: seq=4 ttl=128 time=1.607 ms

Gigabit Ethernet:
64 bytes from 10.0.0.59: seq=0 ttl=128 time=0.453 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.0.59: seq=1 ttl=128 time=0.556 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.0.59: seq=2 ttl=128 time=0.564 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.0.59: seq=3 ttl=128 time=0.597 ms

It seems as if kodi does not even try to fill the buffer at all when playing the iso file (or the plain blu-ray folder structure).

I was not able to reproduce this issue if kodi is running on my Windows 7 pc, or on my iPad Air 2.
It seems to be a linux issue - maybe just openelec.

Greetings!

Hi!

(2015-01-11, 16:18)Dufman Wrote: I am using an intel NUC with Openelec. I have updated to 5.0 recently and I have the same issue.

Which type of connection do you use? Where are the movies stored and in which format?

Thanks!
Hi again!

The issue does not occur on KodiBuntu 14 (booted from USB flash drive), so I assume it is an OpenElec issue.

I'll continue to write here:
http://openelec.tv/forum/90-miscellaneou...openelec-5

Greetings

Nico
Hi again!

Just a short update: Updated to OpenELEC 5.0.1 today - problem solved!

Greetings

scope
kodi 18.4 + andorid   same issue.
the kodi system will not buffer bluray folder and will not buffer iso file , (bdmv, mpls) 
only buffer m2ts file
(2019-11-07, 04:07)norikohxb Wrote: kodi 18.4 + andorid   same issue.
the kodi system will not buffer bluray folder and will not buffer iso file , (bdmv, mpls) 
only buffer m2ts file

Sorry to dig out this old thread but I have the exact same issue with Kodi 18.8: UHD/BD/ISO rips (BDMV folder structure) do not play well...constantly buffering.
When I convert the movie as a mkv file, everything is playing smoothly.
I couldn't find any information how to fix this. Any hints are appreciated.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Buffering Problem with Kodi and blu-ray folders0