Req Unify dev platforms
Thumbs Up 
Hi there,

I was very confused, that Kodi/XBMC just closes issue reports at github and pointing volunteers to the forum. Here you might find out (after registration), that there is another TRAC bugtracker. Then hopping back to wiki to learn how to contribute and that you indeed need to post at forums. Here you try to find if a issue had been submitted. Difficult, as there is a lot of content that has nothing todo with bugs nor feature requests.

So I like to encourage you, please unify the dev ressources to make it easier for contributors:
  1. Use githubs features -> Everybody who has already an account can contribute; search for dupes is easier, roadmap and priorities getting more transparent
  2. Migrate trac tickets to github
  3. Update all contributing docs -> Encourage people to contribute and don't stop them just by pointing them to the wrong directions

If already people who (think they) found bugs or have ideas can't be integrated to the community easily, it's not good for anybody Rolleyes
Github is used for development
Trac is used for issues
Forum is for users asking questions.

We made this split on purpose, because github sucks as n issue tracker, and as soon as we use it for that we would be swamped in 'issues' like 'not working you need to fix' and 'I think this is good program'.
The thing is, if you use github just as repo, it would be wise to avoid it, as usually every hosted project uses all of the features. Maybe a selfhosted git repo would make communication much easier.

From my experience github issue tracker makes it pretty easy for contributors to get an overview and is easier to use that trac. Trac of course has some advanced features, ut also (IMHO) a pretty bad usability. A lot of similar XXL projects as kodi (take for example SuperTuxKart) have good experience with github trackers and benefit from the very big community.

Just making contributing hard and confusing is IMHO a bad choice to avoid moderation of crossposts, etc...
The github tracker sucks. Period.
Trac isn't fantastic either but we won't go and pollute our github with issues. We won't put effort in self hosting as it works perfectly fine as is.

There is no problem at all with github as repo only. We are not every other project so whatever they do that is up to them. We want github to be code contribution only and developers (should) know how to use that. Regular users use the forum or trac so absolutely no confusion.
Also trac uses the same username/password as the forum.
You want better documentation? Feel free to sign up to he wiki and improve it.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
In all fairness, I think the github automated close message should point to this: HOW-TO:Submit a bug report (wiki)
Also other pages at the wiki should explain NOT to use github http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=...d_a_bug.21

@Martjin I'm not here to blame anybody, so there is no need to create a barrier to defend the current process and just tell that everything is fine. I'm here (and discussing) because I noticed that (at least for me) it's not that easy to understand and confuses possible contributors...
(2015-01-11, 11:14)orger Wrote: Also other pages at the wiki should explain NOT to use github http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=...d_a_bug.21

That's the OpenELEC a wiki, which is a different project. They do use github for bug reports.
I guess we found the source of the confusion then Smile

@ned, I like your idea of pointing at that wiki page from the automatic close message, but I don't know where to change it.
@Martijn, do you know how to change that message ?
Send mail to Ulion who runs the script
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Unify dev platforms1