Req Kodi chromecast receiver
I would love XBMC to be a ChromeCast receiver since ChromeCast is locked to 60Hz... XBMC would integrate it nicely and change refresh rates based on video FPS.
People are making addons for things like netflix etc, and all these support ChromeCast. Adding internal receiver support would eliminate the need for these addons.
I know leapcast is out there, would it be impossible to integrate it into KODI and it's built in video player?
Please search before posting, as this have been requested loads of times before, just search using keywords like "chromecast".

Though for integrations of Python based specific code like Leapcast you might want to try posting in the addons forums instead.
I have already posted a thread detailing how to do this. I am not sure whether it still works though.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I have searched, but again it is pretty darn relevant and important to support. I am baffled that it isn't in already.
Its not really that relevant to kodi. The functionality to be a upnp receiver is sufficient isn't it? I had family around last night, someone mentioned a funny YouTube video. Searched it on the YouTube app on my phone, shared to kodi (via yatse). Job done.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-02-21, 14:15)[Ad0] Wrote: I have searched, but again it is pretty darn relevant and important to support. I am baffled that it isn't in already.

It might be important/relevant for kodi to be a chromecast sender since there is a public sdk, but not a chromecast receiver. Plus there "isn't any way" to do that without a browser. I had a look a few time ago to check how it works and it seems a session is created between your phone -> app server (e.g. youtube server) and chromecast --> app server. That's how it keeps synced between your phone and your chromecast. Probably using some kind of websocket or whatever from the app website.
It also seems every app works a bit different from each other. Good luck reversing it and making sure it is always up to date. In a few words, that's something "proprietary" and expected to work only with the devices they want it to work. If something like this is added to Kodi, even in terms of addons, it will only take some time until it is broken again. Look at the examples of any opensource tool that does that...namely leapcast. How long did it last? Only a few months.

In a few words, this is basically another "airplay" so pretty darn irrelevant. Sending videos from your phone/tablet to kodi is already possible using upnp or the json api.
(2015-02-21, 23:09)enen92 Wrote: It might be important/relevant for kodi to be a chromecast sender since there is a public sdk, but not a chromecast receiver. Plus there "isn't any way" to do that without a browser. I had a look a few time ago to check how it works and it seems a session is created between your phone -> app server (e.g. youtube server) and chromecast --> app server. That's how it keeps synced between your phone and your chromecast. Probably using some kind of websocket or whatever from the app website.
It also seems every app works a bit different from each other. Good luck reversing it and making sure it is always up to date. In a few words, that's something "proprietary" and expected to work only with the devices they want it to work. If something like this is added to Kodi, even in terms of addons, it will only take some time until it is broken again. Look at the examples of any opensource tool that does that...namely leapcast. How long did it last? Only a few months.

In a few words, this is basically another "airplay" so pretty darn irrelevant. Sending videos from your phone/tablet to kodi is already possible using upnp or the json api.

Android does not have airplay afaik.

There is no other smooth way to get netflix etc into XBMC as I am aware off. I know there are addons like NetfliXBMC but they are not really integrated with video. It's just a scraper + chrome launcher. If you know about a truly integrated netflix alternative, let me know!
I guess netflix might be possible to run in kodi but no dev has tackled it yet. The same way amazon prime works, netflix might work as well.
If I had netflix here, I wouldn't subscribe it but I wouldn't mind to spend a bit of time trying to reverse it and make it work in kodi with no browser, but unfortunately I don't.
(2015-03-02, 17:14)[Ad0] Wrote:
(2015-02-21, 23:09)enen92 Wrote: It might be important/relevant for kodi to be a chromecast sender since there is a public sdk, but not a chromecast receiver. Plus there "isn't any way" to do that without a browser. I had a look a few time ago to check how it works and it seems a session is created between your phone -> app server (e.g. youtube server) and chromecast --> app server. That's how it keeps synced between your phone and your chromecast. Probably using some kind of websocket or whatever from the app website.

Android does not have airplay afaik.

There is no other smooth way to get netflix etc into XBMC as I am aware off. I know there are addons like NetfliXBMC but they are not really integrated with video. It's just a scraper + chrome launcher. If you know about a truly integrated netflix alternative, let me know!
and accessing netflix on your phone/tablet and then chromecasting it to kodi isn't really any different. You don't get any gui integration with kodi.
(2015-03-03, 00:19)enen92 Wrote: I guess netflix might be possible to run in kodi but no dev has tackled it yet. The same way amazon prime works, netflix might work as well.
If I had netflix here, I wouldn't subscribe it but I wouldn't mind to spend a bit of time trying to reverse it and make it work in kodi with no browser, but unfortunately I don't.
you know, Netflix is using this thing called DRM which we can't do anything about it. Amazon is only working because of their Flash fallback that seems to use a different protection system than DRM.
Yeah, there's actually a whole Netflix client on the Chromecast, and it doesn't actually stream the video from the phone to the Chromecast. The phone just tells the Chromecast which video to play and controls playback buttons.
(2015-03-03, 11:39)da-anda Wrote:
(2015-03-03, 00:19)enen92 Wrote: I guess netflix might be possible to run in kodi but no dev has tackled it yet. The same way amazon prime works, netflix might work as well.
you know, Netflix is using this thing called DRM which we can't do anything about it. Amazon is only working because of their Flash fallback that seems to use a different protection system than DRM.

I know. I said that it might be possible not being possible as an absolute truth. I know nothing about how it works - in fact I've never even seen netflix in action.
I doubt however that they are using silverlight in android. Legally building something about it is a different story.

Regardless, any chromecast implementation will not solve the netflix issue.
@[Ad0] it is possible. I have netflix integrated into kodi with no issues. the only time you know it is netflix is when you hit play on the video.

requirements

1. windows machine
  2. playon.tv license
  3. add-on
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
Ok... I am still confused.

Can one send Chromecast streams to Kodi, or is it coming soon? Without any hacks or add-ons like Airplay does..
The Real Skimshady
Airplay is also hacks Wink And no, Kodi is no Chromecast receiver and won't become in the near future unless some opensource implementation of the otherwise closed source protocol is showing up somewhere.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi chromecast receiver0