Win Kodi possible CPU killer
Hi Guys,

I wish to raise a serious issue regarding Kodi 14.0 and I suggest that others also check their CPU temperatures while using Kodi. I am running an intel i3 530 dual core processor and I have noticed that a few times my computer has shut down.

I decided to run a CPU temperature program to see what was happening, I suddenly found that the fault lays with Kodi 14 itself, while updating and adding media. I have just tried to scan my TV library and the CPU temp went to 98 C almost on the verge of shutting down, I then turned Kodi off and within 4 minutes the temp has dropped to 67 C if I leave it for a bit longer then it will probably go down to around the mid 50 C mark.

I am not sure if anyone else is having an issue like this, but obviously providing it is nothing to do with my hardware then this is a serious problem, and a potential CPU killer for lesser a system.

I am still floating at 64 C so will turn Kodi back on, 21:12 now (64 C) 21:13 (71.5 C) 74.5 C 77.5 C 80c 84 C 21:15 88 C 90 C. All that heat during a scrape within 2 minutes.

My CPU load on each core is hitting 100% I have once more turned Kodi off and temp is dropping once more, I have never had a problem like this on XBMC but I am not sure if it is just my hardware or if it is happening to other people.

Regards

Mark
are you using any strange and not supported addon?
maybe the log can made clear your issue.
Peppe
No the only thing that I have installed is skins and also advanced launcher. I have noticed a couple of comments now regarding systems shutting down, I am de installing Kodi to try XBMC again and see if that is the same I also have Kodi installed on a quad core I5 system and that works with no problems at all, so I am thinking that Kodi is not a fan of dual core processors for some reason, my shutting down has only happened since installing Kodi and has never happened before, I even have the side of the case off to allow more air in and windows open all to no avail and the only time that the CPU rises is when using Kodi.
I run 3D animation renders, 100% CPU usage, for DAYS at a time on consumer PC hardware. Your PC is SUPPOSED to be able to run at 100% load indefinitely without issue. If you're machine is shutting down due to overheating, it's not the fault of software, you have a cooling issue and you should address that issue. I suggest reseating the heat sink with fresh thermal past and ensuring the heatsink isn't clogged and the fan runs at the speed it should.
If you're starting with a baseline of 64C you have bigger problems. At idle with Kodi running, the CPU on my machine reads 39C with my CPU fan running at 1835RPM (42%) and the front and rear fans running at 994RPM and 1198RPM (51%). About the only time things heat up is when I'm converting MKV files to MP4 with Handbrake. Even then with the CPU running at nearly 100%, I never see CPU temps that high.

If your system isn't properly cooled it's possible that the hard drive activity during scraping is dumping more heat into the chassis then it can handle. If you aren't using SpeedFan, I'd try downloading that. It'll both track the temperatures and help regulate the fan speeds.
As previous poster stated, software (any software, not just Kodi) can't be blamed for this. If you can't run your CPU at 100% without overheating than there is something wrong with your cooling setup.
I think all righthtinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired.
(2015-01-19, 23:38)PH-SYM Wrote: As previous poster stated, software (any software, not just Kodi) can't be blamed for this. If you can't run your CPU at 100% without overheating than there is something wrong with your cooling setup.

I've actually encountered people who straight up don't believe this. They think you can 'over work' a computer and if it shuts down after an too many hours of game or too much time at 100%, then it's the users fault for pushing it too far. These people are basically conning themselves into not exercising their warranty before it's too late. Sad
I'm a newcomer to the forum but I am inclined to listen to the cooling problem on their machine.. I almost 99% run linux and i do have a partition with win7 installed and "Kodi" gave me no issues while booted into it.. I've never had a high CPU tem like that.. Usually mine runs at idle at 28c and never under full load never over 42c and i have to really be workin it to get that high.. They probably need to open the case and use a air compressor (set between 25 to 40psi works)to blow out the inside/PS and the CPU fan and heat sink.. Only complaint i have on Kodi in windows7 is i think it is slow to react when changing to different apps..

Big difference in Linux,, man the speed there is awsome.

Most people dont ever clean out their machine.. I usually blow mine out once ever two months.
(2015-01-19, 00:02)pkscout Wrote: If you're starting with a baseline of 64C you have bigger problems. At idle with Kodi running, the CPU on my machine reads 39C with my CPU fan running at 1835RPM (42%) and the front and rear fans running at 994RPM and 1198RPM (51%). About the only time things heat up is when I'm converting MKV files to MP4 with Handbrake. Even then with the CPU running at nearly 100%, I never see CPU temps that high.

If your system isn't properly cooled it's possible that the hard drive activity during scraping is dumping more heat into the chassis then it can handle. If you aren't using SpeedFan, I'd try downloading that. It'll both track the temperatures and help regulate the fan speeds.

^ This.

Sort your cooling out.

I've got an i3 running in a htpc case with 8 x 3.5 hdd's and 2x pvr cards. This not only runs kodi as a htpc connected to my tv in the lounge, it also serves live tv to all the other kodi setups in the house, handles all the backups for the other machines on the network and controls a few other bits around the house. The machine never gets turned off (except for windows updates etc), it's been switched on for at least a week and my son is currently watching TV though it and my cpu temp is 38C.
I thought that I would add more to this, I switched back to XBMC 13.2 Gotham and I have been running for about three or four days now since the original posting time of the original message. I have not had a shut down since removing Kodi from this system, I am floating on 58.5 with a stock cooler running 8 1 terra plus hard drives. I have Kodi installed on a i5 with 4 core and it runs great with no issues at all. I know some people doubt the cooling system in my system but why would a computer run normal on one program, and then cause shut downs installing another version. I was thinking about looking at the cooler and maybe replacing and new thermal paste but at the moment with running XBMC 13.2 and no issues it seems a lot of hassle just to investigate the problem further.
Your cooling is insufficient, believe it or not.
You seem to be missing the point.
Scanning content is stressing your CPU. The more optimized the scanning process is, the more it will take advantage of your CPU.
So, this might very well be that the scanning process is now better than before, and if this is causing issues it surely is a hardware problem.
Look at it this way; If the scanning process only used ≈50% of your CPU before and it´s now using 60% it´s a good thing (as long as it does what it supposed to do of course).

Sure, something else might have pushed your CPU to 100%, but that doesn´t really matter.
Point being; No matter what, a software is not supposed to be able to cause temp issues even if it is completely broken.
Or, for example, you are using your computer for strssful tasks such as video conversion leaving CPU at 100% for long periods.
Temp issues is ALWAYS a hardware issue and should be taken care of. Running your CPU at 100% shouldn´t be a problem.
How are the harddrive temps? If the CPU idles in mid-50C temps then you might have heat build-up issues in your system which will kill your disks.
@a11599 my hard drive temps are between 38 and 44 C I have CPU fan and then 3 other fans inside of the system and also an open side with windows wide open I can scrape move, transfer do whatever I like running 13.2 Gotham, but Kodi it just shuts down.

My CPU core temps at the moment are around 58 to 60 C for both cores.

I can admit that yes in time hardware goes down, but do the same tasks and no problems but then switch to something else then problems, I am not the only person who has had problems with Kodi causing the computer to shut down, yes it could be bad hardware as it runs no problems on my quad core, dual core then issues.

Regards

Mark
How about you rum Prime 95 on it, or some other CPU temperature stress test and see if it engages thermal shutdown?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi possible CPU killer0