Shutdown hangs on Ubuntu 14.04 with XBMC 13 or Kodi 14
Question 
I originally posted this on askubuntu.com, but it was deemed off topic as a Kodi issue, rather than an Ubuntu one. I'm hoping I can find an answer here!

I have an issue whereby shutting down Ubuntu 14.04 from within XBMC/Kodi (it occurs in both Gotham and Helix) causes my system to hang, such that I have to power off/reset it with the hardware power buttons.

To reproduce the error, I do the following:

Launch Kodi (either from the desktop, or by logging in to a Kodi session in LightDM)
Press "S" to open the power menu
Select "Shutdown"

Looking at the debug log for Kodi, it appears to close correctly. The network stack appears to shut down too, as the system doesnt respond to SSH or ping, but the system doesnt power down and remains unresponsive to input on a blank screen.

Exiting Kodi through the Exit option on the power menu works as expected. Similarly, shutting down the system though other menus outside of Kodi, or through the command line, or the ACPI power button, all works.

The "primary" user (the one I created during Ubuntu installation) can shut down from Kodi. However, I've tried adding the kodi user to the same groups as the primary user to no avail. The only difference between the two users is that the kodi user logs in on boot and without a password.

Can anyone suggest what might be causing the problem, or how to diagnose it further?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Shutdown hangs on Ubuntu 14.04 with XBMC 13 or Kodi 140