OS X HOW-TO fix horizontal tearing on Macs with nVidia Graphics
Nice thing about El Capitan is the ability to install the nvidia web drivers easily which is what I did on my 2010 mini which seems to help with this tearing issue. If 10.7 is doing the job for you then I would leave it alone.
(2015-01-21, 21:57)Audiomixer Wrote: To resolve the horizontal tearing that can result when playing back certain video files such as older SD files on the 2010 Mac Mini with 320m graphics, replacing the OSX driver in Mavericks and yosemite with the latest universal Nvidia drivers for the Mac Pro seems to be quite effective. Installing this driver requires a modification to the distribution file within the package to prevent it from checking the system for the correct definition and allowing it to completely install.

First, download the alternate driver for the Mac Pro Nvidia Driver for your OPSYS.

For Yosemite 10.10.1 use http://us.download.nvidia.com/Mac/Quadro....01f01.pkg
For Mavericks 10.9.5 use: http://us.download.nvidia.com/Mac/Quadro....03f01.pkg
For Mavericks 10.9.5 after the March update (13F1066) use: http://us.download.nvidia.com/Mac/Quadro....03f02.pkg
The first post of this thread also lists alternate drivers for other versions of mountain Lion and Mavericks.

Place it on the desk top and open terminal and enter the following command in order to allow it to be installed on non mac pro machines running nvidia graphics.

pkgutil --expand ~/Desktop/<file name you just placed on your desktop> ~/Desktop/WebDriver
(example: pkgutil --expand ~/Desktop/WebDriver-334.01.03f01.pkg ~/Desktop/WebDriver)

Open up your newly created folder 'WebDriver' on your desktop and search for the distribution file, edit with TextWrangler/Text Edit and change var found_hardware = 0 to: var found_hardware = 1

Now that we have made the edit, need to repackage the installer. Remove the original .pkg from your desktop and type:

pkgutil --flatten ~/Desktop/WebDriver ~/Desktop/<orginal file name>
(example: pkgutil --flatten ~/Desktop/WebDriver ~/Desktop/WebDriver-334.01.03f01.pkg)

You have now edited the .pkg installer to prevent from checking if you have the correct system definition!

Hope this helps. It totally cured the tearing issues for us on all our 2010 mac minis whether running mavericks or yosemite.

Turning off "adjust video refresh rate to content frame rate" for me also greatly reduced tearing in older 480p content.

If even this fails to remove the tearing, enabling a momentary VNC connection (screen sharing) with the mini from an iPad or another mac computer will also remove the tearing.

Hi, I have a macbook pro with retina display. The operating system is El Captain 10.11.5 the graphics card is Intel Iris 6100. The Nvidia driver download doesn't work. I get a non compatible message. My problem is horizontal tearing. Any advice?
thanks
you don't have a nvidia gpu obviously. ensure vsync is turned on and post a debug log (wiki) maybe
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
What is the link for the El Capitan driver?

Thanks
Mark
Mark, I believe this is what you are looking for.
http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverRes...2173/en-us
Well, I followed the original instructions with WebDriver-346.02.03f01, OS X 10.10.5, Mac Mini Server 2010 but:

Quote:Open up your newly created folder 'WebDriver' on your desktop and search for the distribution file, edit with TextWrangler/Text Edit and change var found_hardware = 0 to: var found_hardware = 1
didn't exist, but the line:
Code:
var supportedOSBuildVer = "<number here>";
existed, with a different build number, so I edited it to match my build number
Code:
var supportedOSBuildVer = "14F2109";

and off we went...
installed fine, then at the end a message appeared saying it wouldn't enable the nVidia drivers as there was a mismatch, but there were some available, 'Would I like to download the newer ones?"
Ho yes!!

All installed and working with jerk-free HD content
Haywooj - thanks. Still working even with WebDriver-367.15.10.35f01
Mac Mini (2012),  2,3Ghz, i7, 8GB 1600MHz DDR3,  macOS Mojave 10.14.5 Windows 10. Ext HDD 4TB (USB 3.0) ExFAT NTFS, . Kodi 18.3 (compiled 2019-06-28). 
Is this still a problem if you're using the latest version of KODI and the latest version of OS X? I've got an 2010 Mac Mini with one of those gpu's. I've been avoiding upgrading anything for a while. I'm running OS X 10.7.5 and KODI 16.1. My TMDb scraper v.3.9.5 stopped working sometime during the last week. Can't get it to upgrade, so I'm thinking about upgrading my OS so I can run the latest KODI. Does anyone know or should I just dive in with my fingers crossed?
I’m running El Capitan on my 2010 Mac mini with Kodi 16.1. Seems to work fine.
OSX has gotten pretty much unusable with these 2010 mac minis. Apple have pretty much abandoned them. (I mean, for some reason they require you to use Silverlight with Netflix(even with Safari) , Youtube is laggy, HBO is about 15fpsm etc. Just this week my friend who owns one asked me if theres a new mac mini coming soon, he was getting fed up with it but didn't want to spend money anew mac mini that was actually launched in 2014.

Cut to the chase: I told him to save the money, for now at least, and let me install Windows 10 on it. I was surprised how much better this was.

Some drivers you need to manually install:
The broadcom ethernet driver in Windows doesn't work properly, you need to replace with one from bootcamp.
Also need bluetooth driver from boot camp.
And then the nvidia nforce drivers from boot camp.
Oh and the latest geforce 320m drivers from Nvidia, but Windows 10 will do this automatically - except those drivers arent quite the latest ones.

Everything else pretty much works right out of the box. 1080p netflix in html5 in Edge and the Netflix app, Kodi, MPC-HC (had some subtitle glitches but resolved that by installing vobsub and using that to handle subtitles).

You need to install Windows 10 in legacy mode. In UEFI mode the display will just blank after the geforce driver has been installed. Since the 2010 mac minis dont support booting MBR from USB (that first appeared with 2011 minis), that means you need to install from a dvdr (or a usb dvd drive if the internal one doesn't work anymore) Or disk cloning an install done with another machine.

And lastly, you need to bless the legacy partition after you've installed Windows or the Mac will use forever to actually start booting up. You can do this by using the built in recovery console.

Sorry this was really OT...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO fix horizontal tearing on Macs with nVidia Graphics2