using a large projection screen ...need smaller text
hi all

firstly I'd like to say that XBMC is totally fantastic & the ultimate media platform without a doubt

just a question, I've been fiddling trying to get things to look as if it's more suitable for a large screen
(12 feet wide)

the best I can do is using the transparency skin , with home page menu on left hand side (not horizontal banner ) & reducing menu size by the max of 20% in the options ( it plays movies at full no probs)

I think by reducing text size would help a lot

I think every thing is made for a 42" tv

any pointers would be warmly appreciated

(using a decent spec pc, Kodi-helix-xbmc )
have tried aeon mq5 but couldn't even get rid of the home banner menu to the side like I could in transparency
the fontsizes are defined in Font.xml
if you alter the <size></size> of each of them, the text will be smaller throughout the skin.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
thanks Ronnie

this will not screw up everything else ? ( the button boxes etc )

also where can I find this file ( ive never fiddled in the files before )
the fontfile is here:
../addons/skin.transparency/720p/Fonts.xml
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
hiya Ronnie

it's not there, I did a search for "transparency" & it showed up 1 result in pvr........& something folder
just one file & it's not the font file

I can see some of the other skins which I'm not using ( & could see the font file which looked simple to change)

where could the transparency font file be

be good if it's as easy to simply reduce the figure & everything else follows & works etc
On a win7 system should be C:\Users\Your_User_Name\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\skin.transparency\720p\fonts.xml
found it thanks patK

but in that file there's many many font font size>/ .....etc figuars

I went through most of them and saved file, it didn't make any difference ( !?!¥?! )

is this really the right thing to do to reduce font size ?
bump
In the skinning wiki -This subdirectory contains all fonts used by the skin. you can add/replace fonts here

6.1.4 Available tags

In addition to the Default Control Tags the following tags are available. Note that each tag is lower case only. This is important, as xml tags are case-sensitive.

font Specifies the font to use from the font.xml file.

You are getting into the realm of the Skinner, this link may shed a bit of light although they're talking about the inverse, changing to larger fonts http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=56438 but from my perspective, making the font smaller will not change button sizes etc. It's also helpful to know that some fonts are bit mapped and just will not get smaller.
I don't think you mentioned exactly how much smaller you want to go, but if something like 25-30% is enough, a very simple trick I'm using doesn't involve editing the fonts.xml file and doing a bunch of math to re-scale every definition correctly... I simply looked through my system fonts folder and found a font that is physically smaller than the default ("teen-normal.ttf" located in "C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\skin.transparency\fonts") and replaced that file.

For example, the font "Cordia New Regular" is about 25-30% shorter than Teen-Normal at the same point sizes, narrower, and a thinner stroke. I think it looks much better on a large display than the default one.

Simply find the new font file you want to use, and rename "teen-normal.ttf" to "teen-normal.ttf.bak", and then copy the new font file there and rename it to "teen-normal.ttf", then next time you launch Kodi, Transparency! will use that font instead.

You can swap and try different fonts using this method as much as you want without fear of screwing up the fonts.xml file by manual editing.

Cheers
TRJB
ok big thanks for that info ( patK & therealjoeblow )

shame there's not a simple option in the menu
there's lots of people using very large screens (not as much as people with TVs though I know)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
using a large projection screen ...need smaller text0