Kodi build for ARM and deinterlacing issue
Hi There,

I have built Kodi from source for an armv7 device with on-board GPU (ODROID-XU3) and although it works well, I don't seem to have any de-interlacing.

I presume this has a lot to do with the GPU.

I only get the "Software Blend" de-interlace in the build, there is no Bob or Yadif etc ...
The software blend one does not seem to work either ..

How Do I get de-interlacing working on arm?
I see from searching this forum de-interlacing is a hot topic at present ..... it seems to me that Kodi has regressed on this issue.

Is there not going to be LiveTV support in Kodi at all now .... seems crazy .... we need proper de-interlacing WITHIN kodi, all this talk about letting the TV
doing the de-interlacing is crazy talk, what about all of us folk running Kodi on monitors Huh

And why is their only de-interlace support for x86? ARM is the up and coming platform of choice for a lot of us running Kodi box's

Can some developer please let us know what is going on?
we are waiting for your patches which will add non-existent features to (toy) hardware. cluestick; arm or x86 is irrelevant, it's all about what the hardware can or cannot do. arm is only relevant in one aspect: most chips based on arm is too weak to do things in software.
(2015-01-27, 21:05)ironic_monkey Wrote: we are waiting for your patches which will add non-existent features to (toy) hardware. cluestick; arm or x86 is irrelevant, it's all about what the hardware can or cannot do. arm is only relevant in one aspect: most chips based on arm is too weak to do things in software.

Well that's where you are now wrong! The ODROID-XU3 is no toy, has 8-cores with 4 of them running at 2Ghz, the other 4 at 1.5Ghz. It can do software decoding of 1080p in total cpu of 6% utilization.
There is already support in a Kodi build for the the Mali GPU and the MFC, so now it runs even faster .. It is the IDEAL Kodi hardware platform

.. all it needs is some support from you guys for the Mali GPU, especially for de-interlacing in hardware ..

PS: Try not to be so negative .. maybe you should find out some facts about the ODROID before you critisize ..... this is NOT a Raspberry PI, rather a full ARM desktop power machine.
You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about is my guess
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2015-01-28, 02:13)Martijn Wrote: You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about is my guess

Are you currently running ODROID-XU3 hardware, are you??
(2015-01-28, 02:16)bmentink Wrote:
(2015-01-28, 02:13)Martijn Wrote: You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about is my guess

And what has that do do with you not knowing what it takes?
Perhaps show us how you do it and provide the patches for it. Talking the way you do is not helping at all.

I run proper junk for watching videos
(2015-01-28, 02:17)Martijn Wrote:
(2015-01-28, 02:16)bmentink Wrote:

And what has that do do with you not knowing what it takes?
Perhaps show us how you do it and provide the patches for it

I run proper junk for watching videos

I thought this sort of nonsense talk was only true in the MythTV developer team, (Why I went to XBMC) I always have had good polite response from XBMV developers in the past.
What has changed?
You guys want help? Then your words are doing nothing to encourage me to help, rather the opposite ...

And I do know what I am talking about. I have the hardware in question, you don't ...... and I am a software developer of 40 years experience .. how old are you 10?
OMG 40 years

Seriously dude I absolutely don't care if you have 200 years experience. You could still not know anything. The only way you can make yourself experienced and believable is by showing code contribution or at least some common sense on how to integrate it. Not by saying "get it working"
You came here bashing us for not doing de interlacing on android. You start showing some respect first. In general ARM is low performance junk hardware with the bare minimum. Work is being done on it to get it done. Blame Google for not setting the standard on doing de interlacing

So let's start over. Find the thread where they are working on de interlacing on android and start cracking at it.
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=213600
I did no bashing ... I just indicated in my opinion you (Kodi) were going backwards by not supporting deinterlacing on the box any more. Or are we not allowed to have a personal opinion on the forum.
I guess unless it conforms to your opinion .... not!

You are the one that did the bashing by I quote: "You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about" ......you show respect, you don't even know me ..

" In general ARM is low performance junk hardware with the bare minimum"
Stop generalizing .... it just shows ignorance ... especially if you don't keep up with the latest developments ..

"Blame Google for not setting the standard on doing de interlacing"
What the heck have google got to do with standards or de-interlacing? ... That is like saying that microsoft have set standards ..

"not doing de interlacing on android"
Where did I mention android?
I think everyone was a little quick to assume, and there were general misunderstandings and/or strong opinions, and all that jazz. Everyone hold hands and touch balls or else I'll turn the car around, etc.

@bmentink our devs are very interested in, and working on, getting deinterlacing working on ARM hardware. In the ARM space this isn't as standardized as it is on desktops, both in the hardware and in the software, but we're not going backwards by any means. It's just that the most of the ARM platforms didn't start out with any real deinterlacing support, rather than anyone having removed or decreased interest in such things.

As for the ODROID-XU3, yes, that is damn good ARM hardware right there. I've been extremely tempted to buy one, but it's hard for me to justify it considering all the other devices I have and that I'm only doing testing and documentation (not a dev myself). It's a really nice board with that rocking Samsung Exynos5422, and is able to run all 8 cores at once! The benchmarks with just the more powerful 4-cores places it really high among ARM processors. It can even software decode 1080 video with just a passive heatsink.

*wipes drool away*

So yeah, everyone calm down. Deinterlacing might not be available everywhere on ARM yet, but it is a desired goal for when it is practical. Koying has some experimental builds for Android (and I'm sure there's stuff there that can be used for non-Android builds as well? Maybe? I'm honestly not sure), and I know there's work for Freescale processors to get proper deinterlacing support. Someone who's followed these developments more closely could probably do a nice writeup on the current status for deinterlacing on ARM hardware.
@ned,

Thanks for that response. I appreciate that the devs are interested in getting deinterlacing working on ARM.
.. and thanks for appreciating the great bit of ARM hardware in the XU3 ..

So then, I also got it wrong from some other threads that there was a push for nudging deinterlacing onto the display? (TV's I guess, as monitors don't do it)
I most definitely apologize if that is not the case. :-)

Regarding Standardization, since the Mali GPU is sort of ARM standard .... would that not help by targeting that?
(there is already acceleration support for the Mali through OpenGL ES .. and accelerated Frame Buffer support ..)
There are some people who would like to see the option of having raw/native video output for those who have high quality upscalers in their TVs or otherwise, and that could also do deinterlacing, but that would only be an option. The majority of our users would still need built-in deinterlacing for their situations.

As far as standardization, again I'm not a dev, but from what I'm told and understand, even looking at just one brand of GPU doesn't always help us. It's a bit like the wild west with ARM, and different companies (even those using the same or similar GPU) might be doing things differently. Things are becoming more standardized as time goes on, but it's not on the same level that desktops have (Intel, Nvidia, AMD), and even those desktop options have some oddities. I think.
i responded as i did due to the demanding tone in your post.

yes, the arm cpu itself has the oomf. but often arm based devices are bandwidth bound and cannot survive the gpu -> cpu -> gpu roundtrip a software implementation would require (assuming hw decode which pretty much everybody wants due to power usage). this leaves it up to APIs for hw decode to supply it or for somebody to write shaders to do it assuming there's a capable GPU on board. now, there's a shitload of different apis in embedded/arm land and most of them do not expose these things, at least not publicly, and a lot of these devices have very weak GPUs, not capable of handling it in shaders.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi build for ARM and deinterlacing issue0