Does Kodi have to be installed on the mySQL server?
I saw this section in the wiki about setting up a mySQL server to host a centralized database.

http://kodi.wiki/view/MySQL/Setting_up_MySQL

Does Kodi have to be installed on the mySQL server as well? What if you never intend to use Kodi on that server? Would a default, bare bones Kodi installation be good enough for this to work?
No, only thing needed on the box is MySQL.
Living Room: ASUS Chromebox / OpeneElec 5 / Kodi 14.2
Bedroom: Amazon FireTV Stick / Kodi 14.2
Home Office: Amazon FireTV Stick / Kodi 14.2
Windows Server: Intel Core i3-2100T / 8GB Ram / 48TB / MySQL / StableBit DrivePool on Server 2012 R2 Standard
(2015-01-28, 06:56)Philmatic Wrote: No, only thing needed on the box is MySQL.

Thank you! You're right!

http://kodi.wiki/view/MySQL/Setting_up_MySQL
Quote:You will probably want the XBMC device that is hosting most or all of your videos and music to also be the MySQL server, but this is not required.

Is there any advantage to doing what the wiki is suggesting?

Also, does the database store the actual jpg files as well? So, we probably want to put the MySQL database server on a machine that uses an SSD + gigabit ethernet so all the clients can get the thumbnails, fan art, etc images really fast?
Well if the "XBMC device that is hosting most or all of your videos and music" is the same as your MySQL server, then you never have to worry about waking up the MySQL server because you know its already up.

The database does NOT store the .jpg thumbnails or fanart, only links to them.
(2015-01-28, 20:09)helta Wrote: Well if the "XBMC device that is hosting most or all of your videos and music" is the same as your MySQL server, then you never have to worry about waking up the MySQL server because you know its already up.

The database does NOT store the .jpg thumbnails or fanart, only links to them.

Thank you! Which machine stores them? Are they stored locally on each device and the mySQL DB just keeps all of them in sync?

Also, I can't get my setup to work. I followed the instructions to the letter. I even uninstalled mySQL and tried all the steps again, but I keep getting this error in my log file?

http://pastebin.com/f3UzgicS
Quote:430. ERROR: SQL: The table does not exist

Any ideas?
Each client machine caches the graphics, ie fanart, posters etc.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Not sure whats going on in your log, but something looks messed up pretty bad.

If you don't care, you can wipeout the database by opening up the MySQL command line client, logging in, and:

Code:
show databases;

Confirm that myvideos90 and mymusic48 are there.

then
Code:
drop databse myvideos90;
&
Code:
drop database mymusic48;

Open Kodi back up, and scan the content back in.
(2015-01-29, 04:01)helta Wrote: Not sure whats going on in your log, but something looks messed up pretty bad.

If you don't care, you can wipeout the database by opening up the MySQL command line client, logging in, and:

Code:
show databases;

Confirm that myvideos90 and mymusic48 are there.

then
Code:
drop databse myvideos90;
&
Code:
drop database mymusic48;

Open Kodi back up, and scan the content back in.

Thank you! I think that is working. Kodi actually remembers the content type setting instead of being reset to no content type.

It's scanning now, like it did before, but hopefully, this time, it will be stored in the database.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Does Kodi have to be installed on the mySQL server?0