Kodi 14.1 Crashes HDMI
Appreciate you looking at it either way. It's funny that the service we don't pay for we get a response but the hardware we do pay for gets no response from the devs.

Is there any difference in the processing power or system resources that 14.1 uses vs. 14. There has to be something the gbox is not handling properly.
any one tried a nightly version?
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
I have the same problem, but mine pops up with a "denied superuser access" error
Why can't those vendors apply proper permissions in FW rather than relying on superuser / SuperSU ....
They will have a very bad surprise (read angry customers) when we decide to remove the code that fiddle with the permissions from Kodi ...
Interesting. There is another thread that contains information on another person that had the same issue on the MX2 but they changed the superuser app they were using and it started working. The same fix doesn't work on the Q because there is not superuser app and installing one tells you that the sun binaries are missing and fails.
I appreciate this thread, as I experienced the exact issue on my G-Box Q. I have since uninstalled 14.1 and returned to 14.0 which is working great/stable (as it had). I tried various things to troubleshoot 14.1 but nothing worked:
- I uninstalled the pre-loaded version of XBMC, and the G-box media player with it in mind that it may be causing conflicts
- I thought it may have been the fact that I applied it as an update, so I installed a fresh version

I have been monitoring this thread in hopes that a solution is found, because I want to keep my system updated considering the great ways the Kodi is evolving --- I am posting because it doesn't appear as though this is truly being considered as an issue (maybe, due to a lack of people posting about the issue).

Please let me know how I can assist in providing any other detail that may help to find a resolution, as this is in fact a problem between 14.1 and the G-Box......and am certain Matricom will not resolve the issue because they have their own version of Kodi/XBMC.

Vr
M
Well they should solve it. Also they are not allowed to have their own version of Kodi.If they do code changes they must first ask permission.

We are not here to fix the stuff they break with bad firmware. All you can do is warn others not to buy their stuff.
Head over to freaktab.com and get some other firmware for the box. Chances are they can hook you up with a firmware install that isn't garbage. It's sad that the general Android community does a better job than the people making the boxes, but that's often what happens.
For clarity, when you say 14.0 is working fine, is it theirs or ours?
If it theirs, then I understand, and there is no way we'll do something about working around their FW issues.
It is the Kodi official 14.0 release. Their version of media center doesn't play nicely with many add ons....most importantly for me is plexmbc.
Koying, thanks for the response -- It is your 14.0 that is working perfectly.

Ned Scott - I will look into the firmware thing (thank you for the recommendation).

Martijn - That is one choice. The other is to consider the business perspective. I donate to Kodi because it is quality software that I use on the G-Box.....If the software didn't never worked on it, there wouldn't be a donation. Either way I appreciate Kodi and understand that the choice is up to the K-Team as to whether they fix their software to address crashes on specific commercial hardware.
we don't have a "business" perspective. This is a volunteer project for everyone to use. Either people donate or they don't. We really really do appreciate that you do, however we will not cripple our software/code just because some company does a half proper job writing firmware. That's also the reason why we don't recommend hardware. You can't expect a volunteer organisation to just support everything out there without any proper feedback from matricom or whatever and them also doing the right thing by fixing they firmware.

I do understand you point and you paid for a box that now seems to be not working properly just because the manufacturer does a lousy job.
Hi Martijn - Didn't look to turn the support thread into an argument, so pardon my part in it.

Bottomline: I own a G-box Q that I purchased, which has been working perfectly with the Kodi 14.0 software that you develop (and I donate to). You have released new software 14.1 that now appears to crash the HDMI on the G-Box Q. Matricom has made no changes to the hardware or firmware in these past months, which all of your previous releases worked with - without flaw. It was the change from 14,0 to 14.1. In reading your responses it appears as though you want Matricom to look into why its system crashes due to your software release. Because I sincerely appreciate Kodi and want to take advantage of future releases, I will get with whoever to get it resolved. I will post in the Matricom forum and see what they say. Hopefully its not "Their software broke our system. They should fix it" - because then we are all stuck.

Side Note: If you guys didn't have a business perspective (which implies money even in the smallest measure) you wouldn't have a donate button, and also wouldn't be expanding your software to function on other commercial hardware (e.g. Fire).
(2015-02-08, 18:00)MandrakeH Wrote: Side Note: If you guys didn't have a business perspective (which implies money even in the smallest measure) you wouldn't have a donate button, and also wouldn't be expanding your software to function on other commercial hardware (e.g. Fire).

Because you think the running costs for 5+ millions users are for free, right? Or you'd like us to pay from our pockets AND provide you with free software?
We are a non-profit foundation, if you didn't know.

Besides, it's the other way around; If Kodi wouldn't run on it, your "G-box Q" wouldn't even exist, as wouldn't the hundreds of other droid box of the same kind.
Amazon doesn't give a damn about us, on the contrary, and we rather are a hindrance re selling their own video services.

Bottom-line: There is NO WAY an app could crash the HDMI on a box on a bug-free firmware, and NO WAY any of us will spend time debugging the sole device on which it happens, which NONE of us have.
Actually, the more you seem to think you are entitled to something, the less we'll do anything, to avoid this behaviour to turn into a trend.
I guess there are no moderators in this forum. I'd like to recommend that one or both walk away and ignore the negativity of the other. The vast majority of us understand and appreciate the work that goes into this. We also understand that it is a big reason many of us choose android based devices and community supported software. Unfortunately, there will always be those that have a sense of entitlement as well as those that need to have the last word.

Continued response only fuels the fire and pulls us further away from a solution. Let's get back on topic and stop bickering please.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 14.1 Crashes HDMI1