• 6(current)
Raspberry Pi 2 quadcore-chip
(2015-02-03, 00:10)mezo Wrote: will it be possible to run a xserver on the new pi with support for controller? this is what i really missing since i switched to the pi.

I'm pretty sure the best solution to getting controller support won't involve using X.
The solution would be to extract the controller code (from SDL I believe) and use that directly.
(2015-02-02, 11:08)Dam0 Wrote: drools....

nice work.

2 x things that currently suck...

1) -took delivery of 2 x model B+ this morning Sad

2) - aust distributor has NA listed as stock quantity for PI 2 :-((

cant wait.
I just ordered 2 from element 14 but they are going fast
I ordered 1 from element 14 as well and the stock is reducing rapidly. They had heaps yesterday. I can't wait to receive it and see the improvement. If it is just a bit faster than version 1 for navigation in pvr section I will be one happy person.
(2015-02-02, 23:49)bertybassett Wrote:
(2015-02-02, 23:41)Rickt1962 Wrote: So excited when I saw this until I checked every website could not find anything of the Nic speed the bottle neck is 100 when everyone with huge media NAS on smb need Nic/1000

100mb is more than enough for a pi and xbmc 1080p even at very high bit rates.

Yea it plays fine with mine under 100 but when you have 1000's of movies and 10,000's of TV shows everytime you do a fresh install it takes all day to scan it in. As per my PC which has nic/1000 takes minutes for a full scan.
One HTPC Windows 7 pro 64x running WMC with 2 HDhomeRun on Comcast 6 tuners with MCEbuddy
WD MyCloud 24TB over Netgear network | 6500 movies and 40,000+ TV Show episodes
I'm looking for feedback on how well it rubs Kpdi, particularly OpenElec. Is it able to handle heavier skins now? Also does it do 3D and HD audio?

Update: I am looking at a B+ kit and I hadn't realized that the Pi doesn't have Gigabit. Does this severely impact performance streaming 1080p or even 4K video?
Server: Synology Diskstation 1511+ with 8x WD Red NAS 3TB drives, DSM 5.2
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
Would we expect this to be similar to the humming board or cubox in terms of kodi performance?
(2015-02-03, 05:41)patseguin Wrote: Update: I am looking at a B+ kit and I hadn't realized that the Pi doesn't have Gigabit. Does this severely impact performance streaming 1080p or even 4K video?

On paper it should be fine. 100mbit is faster than any video source, but that 100mbit adaptor is on the USB bus which is a USB 2.0. While USB2.0 is faster than 100mbit Ethernet, that's without congestion in the USB controller from other things. So a proper field test with the hardware in question would be needed to see if the USB 2.0 controller is an additional bottleneck or not.
(2015-02-02, 23:14)menacar Wrote: Why do we need to install an open source OS on the Pi 2. Since we can get Windows 10 for free, wouldn't that be the best OS to use?

I'm sorry, I can't resist posting this: http://www.quickmeme.com/img/88/88712cfe...7571bd.jpg
Quick Ned we better get him RPi inoculated before he spreads a possible virulent Windows contagion ! Smile

Wow - RS UK out of stock already! But more expected the end of this week. Just placed a back order.
Hi Guys,

Some Pi/Kodi performance queries if I may:

Q1. Is it still the case that the kodi library read/writes perform faster on an ext4 formatted USB flash drive as opposed to being accessed via the storage partition on a class 10 SD card?

Q2. When accessing network file shares mapped as video sources in Kodi (i.e. not mounted first via fstab), will I get better performance from NFS or SMB? (my file server is a linux box and I have both protocols available to serve)

Expecting delivery of my rpi2 tomorrow and am keen to see how it compares to the original 256MB pi have in the bedroom for accessing my main HTPC via UPNP.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
(2015-02-03, 06:02)melfy Wrote: Would we expect this to be similar to the humming board or cubox in terms of kodi performance?

I think it's currently a lot better as the sw implementation is much, much further than the imx solution at this very moment. Might change for v15. But with that new Pi, it's already now (!) fully working.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2015-02-03, 05:41)patseguin Wrote: I'm looking for feedback on how well it rubs Kpdi, particularly OpenElec. Is it able to handle heavier skins now? Also does it do 3D and HD audio?

Update: I am looking at a B+ kit and I hadn't realized that the Pi doesn't have Gigabit. Does this severely impact performance streaming 1080p or even 4K video?

I wouldn't look at a B+ kit now. Wait for the Pi 2 - it may be available in your area already!

I don't think the Pi 2 will output 2160p (aka 4K) - pretty certain that the HDMI output system doesn't handle that resolution. Be interesting to see if modest bitrate 2160/24p H264 stuff plays and is downconverted. Technically the Pi handles Level 4.1 H264 only (which is the same as Blu-ray), but there are reports that some stuff encoded at levels higher than this may play, but they can't claim all stuff at these levels will. (Level 5.1 is the lowest that includes 3840x2160 at 24/25/30p).

Anything running at a bitrate greater than about 50Mbs (the max bitrate that Level 4.1 can handle officially) would concern me in Ethernet terms - but I'm sure others have checked with higher bitrate stuff. (Technically Level 5 can go to 120Mbs and Level 5.1/5.2 to 240Mbs)

The Pi 2, like the Pi 1, can't bitstream HD audio. This is because the HDMI subsystem in the SoC supports 5.1 at 48kHz and 96kHz but only 4.0 at 192kHz. For HD Audio to be bitstreamed you need the bandwith that would carry 5.1 at 192kHz - so the Pi just can't do it.

HOWEVER you can losslessly decode Dolby True HD 48 and 96kHz tracks to PCM 5.1 48kHz and 96kHz in Kodi, and there are reports that the Pi 2 now has the CPU power to do this (the Pi 1 didn't). So you can replay Dolby True HD tracks losslessly if they are 48/96kHz, though the rare 5.1 192kHz tracks will be resampled. (PCM 2.0 192kHz stuff will be lossless) DTS HD MA/HRA is different as there is no decode in ffmpeg (which Kodi is based on), so you are left with DTS core bitstreaming unless you can offline decode your DTS HD content to another format on a Windows PC (where decoding is possible using a number of third party tools which use a non-Open Source decoder)
(2015-02-03, 06:07)DJ_Izumi Wrote:
(2015-02-03, 05:41)patseguin Wrote: Update: I am looking at a B+ kit and I hadn't realized that the Pi doesn't have Gigabit. Does this severely impact performance streaming 1080p or even 4K video?

On paper it should be fine. 100mbit is faster than any video source, but that 100mbit adaptor is on the USB bus which is a USB 2.0. While USB2.0 is faster than 100mbit Ethernet, that's without congestion in the USB controller from other things. So a proper field test with the hardware in question would be needed to see if the USB 2.0 controller is an additional bottleneck or not.

Yep. I think if you were running a couple of DVB-T2 Freeview HD tuners to a back-end in record multiple HD channels to an external USB 2.0 hard drive AND trying to stream a 50Mbs Blu-ray rip over Ethernet you'd probably hit some problems. Similarly if you were watching a movie whilst scanning a large database.

Suggestion is that you can now saturate the 100Mbs Ethernet connection relatively easily with the Pi 2 - whereas with the Pi 1 it was very difficult (almost impossible) as the CPU couldn't keep up. (i.e. the CPU was the bottle neck - not the single USB 2.0 bus)
But... what about Odroid C1?
http://www.cnx-software.com/2015/02/02/r...omparison/
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Raspberry Pi 2 quadcore-chip0