• 19(current)
Raspberry Pi 2 quadcore-chip
strongly looking forward to the release of pi3...

of all the devices, raspberry pi is the most stable and powerful one, except the 100m ethernet and no H265 support. Hopefully this can be solved in pi3...
(2016-02-18, 16:39)digital21cn Wrote: of all the devices, raspberry pi is the most stable and powerful one, except the 100m ethernet and no H265 support. Hopefully this can be solved in pi3...

The Pi2 does support H265 - in software, not hardware - and the latest test builds can play up to 1080p H265 quite well.

Not that it's required for media streaming, but if you need a faster ethernet you could try a GigE USB2 Ethernet adapter - these can get up to about 300MBit/s. http://www.jeffgeerling.com/blogs/jeff-g...networking
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2016-02-18, 17:15)Milhouse Wrote:
(2016-02-18, 16:39)digital21cn Wrote: of all the devices, raspberry pi is the most stable and powerful one, except the 100m ethernet and no H265 support. Hopefully this can be solved in pi3...

The Pi2 does support H265 - in software, not hardware - and the latest test builds can play up to 1080p H265 quite well.

Not that it's required for media streaming, but if you need a faster ethernet you could try a GigE USB2 Ethernet adapter - these can get up to about 300MBit/s. http://www.jeffgeerling.com/blogs/jeff-g...networking

This is the greatest news I've heard today! thanks. I'll try the test builds. I think the latest is based on kodi 17.

the ethernet issue is not so critical, although I believe a gigabit ethernet is almost a "must" nowadays. but is does not has much impact.
(2016-02-18, 16:39)digital21cn Wrote: strongly looking forward to the release of pi3...

of all the devices, raspberry pi is the most stable and powerful one, except the 100m ethernet and no H265 support. Hopefully this can be solved in pi3...

I might be wrong, but I reckon you are going to be waiting quite a while for the RPI3. Every rumour thread on the subject on the Raspberry Pi forums is getting locked.
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL
Milhouse can you post your best settings for X265 files... i am running a Pi2 and the sdram_schmoo firmware.
I am on Chris Swan' Jarvis build

arm_freq=1062
core_freq=590
sdram_freq=530
over_voltage=4
force_turbo=1
sdram_schmoo=0x02000020
over_voltage_sdram_p=6
over_voltage_sdram_i=4
over_voltage_sdram_c=4
v3d_freq=350
h264_freq=350
avoid_pwm_pll=1

So far X265 is still shuttering.... but your 1205 build plays a lot better do...
Do i stll have to set autostart.sh?

Thx
(2016-02-18, 22:20)Warez Wrote: Milhouse can you post your best settings for X265 files... i am running a Pi2 and the sdram_schmoo firmware.

Code:
gpu_mem=320

dtoverlay=sdtweak,overclock_50=100

arm_freq=1000
core_freq=500
gpu_freq=400
over_voltage=4
force_turbo=1

sdram_freq=600
over_voltage_sdram=5
sdram_schmoo=0x02000020

Latest H265 optimisations are in my OpenELEC/Kodi 17 test builds - the zero-copy optimisation makes a big difference to both HEVC and non-HEVC software decoding. These optimisations won't be in the Jarvis builds, although it's possible the zero-copy optimisation may be back-ported.

HEVC decode at higher resolutions is bottlenecked to some extent by the sdram so overclocking sdram frequency can help HEVC playback. Not everyone will be guaranteed to hit 600MHz but 550MHz might be realistic for most (default is 450MHz).
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Ha thx for the info.... but: dtoverlay=sdtweak,overclock_50=100?i still have this in my config dtoverlay=sdhost,overclock_50

SD Tweak?
(2016-02-18, 23:20)Warez Wrote: Ha thx for the info.... but: dtoverlay=sdtweak,overclock_50=100?i still have this in my config dtoverlay=sdhost,overclock_50

SD Tweak?

https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/blo...EADME#L678

sdtweak can be used in place of dtoverlay=sdhost.

sdhost is also now the default MMC driver in 4.4.x kernels, so isn't required unless you're overclocking.

You're meant to specify a value for the overclock_50 param - your line is incorrect.
i use this: dtoverlay=sdtweak,overclock_50=84 i will test your setting
(2016-02-18, 23:12)Milhouse Wrote:
(2016-02-18, 22:20)Warez Wrote: Milhouse can you post your best settings for X265 files... i am running a Pi2 and the sdram_schmoo firmware.

Code:
gpu_mem=320

dtoverlay=sdtweak,overclock_50=100

arm_freq=1000
core_freq=500
gpu_freq=400
over_voltage=4
force_turbo=1

sdram_freq=600
over_voltage_sdram=5
sdram_schmoo=0x02000020

Latest H265 optimisations are in my OpenELEC/Kodi 17 test builds - the zero-copy optimisation makes a big difference to both HEVC and non-HEVC software decoding. These optimisations won't be in the Jarvis builds, although it's possible the zero-copy optimisation may be back-ported.

HEVC decode at higher resolutions is bottlenecked to some extent by the sdram so overclocking sdram frequency can help HEVC playback. Not everyone will be guaranteed to hit 600MHz but 550MHz might be realistic for most (default is 450MHz).

I upgraded the OE to your latest test build 0218, and revised the config.txt file as you suggested. the overlocking seems good. however, it appears that it still could not play h265 consents well... is it because I missed something? should update the firmware?
If you upgraded using the regular OE update procedure then you're on the latest firmware. h265/hevc still has limits, not all files will play well on the RPi2 - hevc files with higher bit rates may still cause problems. It's a work in progress, but for now most 720p and some lower-bit rate 1080p hevc files should play quite well.
(2016-02-19, 15:58)Milhouse Wrote: If you upgraded using the regular OE update procedure then you're on the latest firmware. h265/hevc still has limits, not all files will play well on the RPi2 - hevc files with higher bit rates may still cause problems. It's a work in progress, but for now most 720p and some lower-bit rate 1080p hevc files should play quite well.

noted with thanks!
  • 19(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Raspberry Pi 2 quadcore-chip0